Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 AM   #1921
pwkblue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default whoops...

Whoops,
I brewed a batch of this in late January. Moved it to Secondary and dryhops on February 19th....life happened, a promotion at work, and the resulting long hours. I finally bottled it tonight!

The sample tastes great...as expected after a 35 day dryhop with 1oz of Amarillo & 1 oz of Simcoe....the amarillo is pretty potent...truly grapefruit aroma and flavor. I'm sure that will mellow over the next 3 weeks as the bottles condition.

Now I hope I can find time to bottle the other 3 batches in the fermentation closet. After 7+ weeks in primary they should be ready to bottle!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #1922
cookiepussbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this yesterday using the extract recipe. Had to substitue one hop due my LHBS not having it. Used Wyeast Golden Ale and it was fermenting just a few hours after putting in the yeast. Had to put a blow off tube on this morning. Going away so this will be sitting in the primary for two weeks and then will dry hop. Can't wait for this one.

CP

Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #1923
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I made 10 gallons of this yesterday, and pitched WLP001 in one and Wyeast 1450 in the other. The WLP001 is fermenting already, at 63 degrees. The 1450 (Dennys) is just getting ready to start. It is also at 63 degrees.

I'll try to remember to update this, with the results from the Denny's yeast strain as I don't think I've ever used that strain in an IPA and it's definitely an unusual choice!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #1924
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I made 10 gallons of this yesterday, and pitched WLP001 in one and Wyeast 1450 in the other. The WLP001 is fermenting already, at 63 degrees. The 1450 (Dennys) is just getting ready to start. It is also at 63 degrees.

I'll try to remember to update this, with the results from the Denny's yeast strain as I don't think I've ever used that strain in an IPA and it's definitely an unusual choice!
I'd love to know how this turns out. I brew a lot of ipas and usually use US 05 or 001 depending on whtat I have around. I brewed a porter last month with 1450 and saved a couple yeast samples from the starter so your results will make my decision easy...

Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #1925
cookiepussbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Wow this fermented quick..is that common for this. I used 1056 and it was a full smack pack. Started bubbling about two hours later, had to put in a blowoff tube and little over 24 hours and still bubbling..

Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #1926
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Only one case of this left. I think I'm going to give it another shot this weekend while the weather warms. I'm thinking of an 8g batch this time. Bravo instead of warrior (turned out great last time), and aromatic instead of TF amber (too expensive to get). Sure it won't be spot on, but its darn close and one good beer. I'd like to stick pineapples or apricots in 3 out of the 8 gallons for a little testing (maybe my own aprihop eh?).

Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #1927
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis
Only one case of this left. I think I'm going to give it another shot this weekend while the weather warms. I'm thinking of an 8g batch this time. Bravo instead of warrior (turned out great last time), and aromatic instead of TF amber (too expensive to get). Sure it won't be spot on, but its darn close and one good beer. I'd like to stick pineapples or apricots in 3 out of the 8 gallons for a little testing (maybe my own aprihop eh?).
Sounds good for apricot let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #1928
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I suggest trying Wyeast 1187 for the DF 60. I'm sampling a different brew that used 1187 and there is a similarity in tastes although the grain bill is not the same as Yooper post.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #1929
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

After 3 weeks in primary mine came down to 1.013 from 1.061 with one pack of S04 mashed at 148. No yeasty off flavors that I can tell, I'm happy.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #1930
burningbaal
Recipes 

I'm nearly-new at brewing, trying yooper's recipe with friends this month, but one big change. I am one of the few who haven't bought into the IPA thing; it always comes across too harsh for my palate.

So, we're pushing the entire hop bill to FWH-don't hate on me yet. Even the dryhop ones, we'lre putting in at the end of the mash (not yet decided if we can pull off all-grain), and leave the hops in until gas-off. In theory, with enough pre-boil exposure, the flavor and aroma components should complex with the malts and sugars to prevent them from boiling off, but the bitterness should come across since it'll be there the whole boil (contemplating a 90min boil, but at least 60).

we're going to brew a double-batch and split at gas-off for two separate fermenters. one will get whirlpool hopped with 1oz amarillo, the other won't. depending on a taste-test going into secondary, it may get dry-hopped with 1oz amarillo.

warrior not available, I'm thinking columbus instead?

biggest pot is 32qt aluminum, so I should be able to brew/boil 24-28qt of wort, but this is about 1qt/lb in the all-grain recipe...will my OG suffer much? planning to bring each fermenter up to 20-22qt using boiled/cooled water during cooling process.

Last thought: I'm also curious about the 'small beer' concept, and we have a 5g (not 6.5) fermenter as spare, so we're going to take the grain and re-mash/boil it for a second batch to try this out. this is a nearly-free experiment, but I'll presumably want some form of bittering as there'll still be some sugar...any suggestions?

Quick Reply