Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #181
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed Yooper's AG recipe and it is freakin' awesome!!! OG was 1.072 and FG was 1.013, so I ended up with 7.71% ABV. That batch lasted less than 2 weeks!
I also brewed another batch 2 weeks after and followed the recipe in the "Extreme Brewing" book by the owner of DFH that was converted from extract.
OG 1.066 and FG 1.015 at 6.66% ABV. Honestly, everyone has said that Yooper's version is closer to the original and better.... actually, everyone who has tried the first one loves it, hence why I am already out of it!
This will have to be a 10 gal batch next time around.
EXCELLENT job Yooper! Thank you...

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #182
cushdan
Recipes 

Brewed this as my second batch (extract version) and it was great. Possible my favorite IPA. Turned out slightly hoppier than the original DFH but I don't mind that one bit. I need to restrain myself from brewing this every batch...

Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #183
believeinsteve
Recipes 

so anyone try oaking? My guess is it would hurt that beautiful hop flavor, and the time it would take to age would as well, but curiousity always gets the best of me

Old 09-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #184
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could oak and dry hop after pulling it off of the oak, (or if youre in a barrel and not on chips dry hop for the last 10 days in the barrel.) That might preserve the upfront hoppiness a little more. I know when I brewed this last it was 7.5 ABV, and oaking in a bourbon barrel might have been a very nice touch. The two oaked IIPAs I had were both very nice, and if you work a little to preserve the up front hops on this it would probably serve this beer well.

(It wouldnt be a DFH60 clone, at that point... but the way I brew it, it isnt a DFH60 clone anyway, more like an "inspired by a DFH60 clone"...)

Old 09-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #185
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

I was going to do a 10 gal this time around, but the idea of oaking it is a bit intriguing.
I may have to split it up into two and oak one to compare.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #186
believeinsteve
Recipes 

"(It wouldnt be a DFH60 clone, at that point... but the way I brew it, it isnt a DFH60 clone anyway, more like an "inspired by a DFH60 clone"...)"

thats what came to mind after page 10. So many inspirations with the clone as the starting point, why not? I guess this would be off topic though, but I think Im gonna try 1 oz. of oak chips (sans the bourbon) in my next one.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #187
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinsteve View Post
"(It wouldnt be a DFH60 clone, at that point... but the way I brew it, it isnt a DFH60 clone anyway, more like an "inspired by a DFH60 clone"...)"

thats what came to mind after page 10. So many inspirations with the clone as the starting point, why not? I guess this would be off topic though, but I think Im gonna try 1 oz. of oak chips (sans the bourbon) in my next one.
How about make sure and let me know how it goes. I am not going to be able to do a 10 gal yet. My second keg is not ready to take over duties as my MLT and my cooler is only 12 gal. After some brief calculations, I came to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to shoehorn 30+ lbs of grain and 10 gallons of water in it.... so 5 gal it is for now and I don't want to take a chance of screwing up a whole batch.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #188
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

So I did the extract version of this with specialty grains. The water started at 150 and my heat was too high and got up to 160. I killed the heat and it slowly went back down. Is 160 going to alter this brew too much? I took my OG and it was 1.05 but I think there was some water on the top and I should have mixed it more. Also, I didn't spin the hydro to get it off the sides.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #189
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweaty View Post
So I did the extract version of this with specialty grains. The water started at 150 and my heat was too high and got up to 160. I killed the heat and it slowly went back down. Is 160 going to alter this brew too much? I took my OG and it was 1.05 but I think there was some water on the top and I should have mixed it more. Also, I didn't spin the hydro to get it off the sides.
No, 160 won't harm the specialty grains, so don't worry!

Old 10-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #190
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just took my first sample of this before moving from primary to secondary. Color looks great and its starting to clear up quite nicely. Oh, and the taste, AMAZING!!! This recipe (extract) is a winner. Thanks Yoops!

Quick Reply