Originally Posted by badbrew
So I made this one on Sunday. I mashed in with 4.25 gal at 156F, and at 70 minutes and 154F I added 1 gallon of 180F water. Then I stirred, vorlaufed and drained followed by 3 gallons of the same pot of water (175ish). No science there just winging it.
I ended up with 1.060 and about 5.7 gal. I tried for 5.5. I'm actually happy with the gravity since I want it close to the original but I hope the hopping is going to work too. I added .4 oz warrior at 60 and .4 oz warrior to 35 since my AA was about 12% instead of the 16% in the recipe. It's been going strong at about 67 for the first 2 days and now down to 65 on day 3 where it will probably remain since I'm too cheap to run the heat higher during the day. I plan to dry hop in the primary on day 5 if the gravity is below 1.020. My goal is 1.014 but a few extra won't hurt either. On day 12 I will crash for 2 days and keg on day 14 at 40 psi for 3 days. I'll report back with the results.
After four days I got 1.014, and it remained there on the fifth day after I brewed it, so I dry hopped then. I'm completely satisfied with that. It kind of worried me for a second with 156 mash temp, but all appears well.
The taste appeared to be a very nice blonde, kind of what I assumed centennial blonde might have tasted before brewing it. I was going to transfer a half gallon to a soda bottle before dh but forgot. Oh well.