Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #1751
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
I just took a gravity reading and put in the hops for dry hopping. It was at 1.023. I used US-05. It started fermenting a little low maybe around 61 then it stayed right at 63 during peak fermentation and now it is going back to 61. Could that have slowed it down that much? When I put the lid back on I gave it a slight shake to move the yeast around a little. I might need to put a heater in my fridge to warm it up a little because it is getting cold in my basement now.
That's pretty cool for S05. I am not sure where it goes dormant, but you may be getting close at 61.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #1752
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

That's pretty cool for S05. I am not sure where it goes dormant, but you may be getting close at 61.
Yeah it could have gone a little lower at night too. Hopefully the yeast will start up again after the shake. Im going to build the light bulb in a paint can heater tomorrow and raise it to 65.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #1753
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage View Post
Hop utilization is affected by wort gravity and extract brewers generally do partial boils hence the increase in hops to compensate for decreased utilization due to higher boil gravity. If you do extract but a full boil you'd need to use the AG recipe hop schedule. In beersmith for the extract recipe set the equipment profile to use a 3-5 gallon pot and the IBUs will fall back in line.
Very good info... Yes, I was puzzled by the partial boil since I have been doing full boils. I also used the extract hop schedule with my full boil. That said, my IBU's must have actually been roughly as high as what BeerSmith calculated.

I guess it's a good thing that I'm adding hops to my AG version if I want it to be closer to the extract batch I made. From what you're telling me, I think I do need to add even more hops than what I have planed from this discussion...

Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #1754
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

BREWING THIS TOMORROW! Very excited. First AGB.. I've revamped pretty much all of my equipment. finally made a stirplate and my first starter (which is spinning happily away as I type), new brew pot with all of the fixins from BobbyM, DIY Mash Tun (wife wasn't happy about me retiring the drink cooler lol with parts also from BobbyM) and I got rid of my old fermentor for a new carboy... Wish me luck

Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #1755
Roadliner
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Brewed and in the fermentor.. heres hoping to a good brew. Came out a little lower gravity than planned at .052, but should still be good Thanks for the recipe!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #1756
melche01
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed AG recipe yesterday. Went well and got 1.067 OG. Mashed at 153 and only lost 1 degree over an hour. I just realized today though I used a full 1 oz of Amarillo whole hops continuous from 35 min to flame out. I stuck to the rest of the original hop schedule. Think it will still be okay? I'm planning on dry hopping with 1 oz Amarillo and other 1/2 oz simcoe.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #1757
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by melche01
Just brewed AG recipe yesterday. Went well and got 1.067 OG. Mashed at 153 and only lost 1 degree over an hour. I just realized today though I used a full 1 oz of Amarillo whole hops continuous from 35 min to flame out. I stuck to the rest of the original hop schedule. Think it will still be okay? I'm planning on dry hopping with 1 oz Amarillo and other 1/2 oz simcoe.
I have a hunch it will be quite delicious. Hopping from 35 mins to the end of the boil is for flavor and aroma hops. So you didn't really add much bitterness but upped the flavor and aroma a bit. Yum!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #1758
melche01
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekage

I have a hunch it will be quite delicious. Hopping from 35 mins to the end of the boil is for flavor and aroma hops. So you didn't really add much bitterness but upped the flavor and aroma a bit. Yum!
Thanks. I think I just needed that reassurance I didn't screw up too much. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #1759
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I brewed this up for the second time about three weeks ago. Hit my numbers (OG 1.070) and pitched my pack of Notty on top dry. It took about 36 hours to really get going, but no worries-- I know how yeast can be. I let it ferment in my swamp cooler at 66 for about a week, then pulled it out and let it ride in the guest bathroom around 68. Two days ago I went to dry hop, checked the gravity and was dismayed that it read 1.020! I've never had a problem with Notty attenuating before. I know that this is near the lower end of its attenuation range so I dry hopped per recipe, closed up the fermenter, gently roused the yeast and raised the temp to 74 to see if I can't squeeze a couple more points off in the next ten days.

Anyone else have any issues with Notty lately? I sourced mine from Midwest and did not note the production date so maybe it was old. I've been using the same hydrometer for my last 20 batches so I know that it is calibrated. The gravity sample tasted fine body and flavor wise so I decided to proceed. Pretty sure it will turn out fine just wanted to share my experience.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #1760
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrew83 View Post
I brewed this up for the second time about three weeks ago. Hit my numbers (OG 1.070) and pitched my pack of Notty on top dry. It took about 36 hours to really get going, but no worries-- I know how yeast can be. I let it ferment in my swamp cooler at 66 for about a week, then pulled it out and let it ride in the guest bathroom around 68. Two days ago I went to dry hop, checked the gravity and was dismayed that it read 1.020! I've never had a problem with Notty attenuating before. I know that this is near the lower end of its attenuation range so I dry hopped per recipe, closed up the fermenter, gently roused the yeast and raised the temp to 74 to see if I can't squeeze a couple more points off in the next ten days.

Anyone else have any issues with Notty lately? I sourced mine from Midwest and did not note the production date so maybe it was old. I've been using the same hydrometer for my last 20 batches so I know that it is calibrated. The gravity sample tasted fine body and flavor wise so I decided to proceed. Pretty sure it will turn out fine just wanted to share my experience.
looks like you may have overworked the yeast. I would have added 2.

Quick Reply