Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #1731
kombat
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 492

I'd like to make this brew in January, but my usual online sources are out of Amarillo and Simcoe. Are there acceptable substitutes, or do you expect the shortage to be eased a bit by January? Anyone know of a Canadian hop source that has Amarillo and Simcoe in stock?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #1732
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Palisade instead of Amarillo, per BYO 60-Minute recipe.

Drinking: Redhook ESB; Scaldis Belgian Special Ale; Allagash Grand Cru; AHS Budget IPA; William Moore's Summer Beer; Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter.
Bottled: AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious (first taste 20 April 2014).
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #1733
NCGrayson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

so forgive me if this has been posted recently, but i don't exactly feel like reading 174 pages to find the answer......is the recipe the first post in the thread? I know that was posted before the final product had been sampled, but has it changed along the way?

Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #1734
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrayson View Post
so forgive me if this has been posted recently, but i don't exactly feel like reading 174 pages to find the answer......is the recipe the first post in the thread? I know that was posted before the final product had been sampled, but has it changed along the way?
No, it hasn't changed. It's against the forum rules to post a recipe that hasn't been brewed more than once, and needs to be repeatable. I brewed it and sampled it before posting, and many times after.

It's been brewed by me at least 25 times, probably more.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #1735
jammin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It's been brewed by me at least 25 times, probably more.
That is impressive, Yoop! I can only imagine what you have learned with that much experience.

Cheers!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #1736
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
That is impressive, Yoop! I can only imagine what you have learned with that much experience.

Cheers!
I don't know how much I've learned, but my liver has had quite a workout!

I brew pretty often, and I stopped counting my batches several years ago but I guessed that I'm up over 350 batches or more, plus many batches of wine, mead, and cider. (I was a winemaker before brewing). Right now, I have more wine in fermenters than beer.

Since I like hoppy beers the most, I tend to brew more APAs and IPAs than other beers but right now I have an IPA on tap (this one), an amber, and a stout and a hoppy pale ale in the fermenter. I make a few lagers a year, a few other specialty beers (like california common) and then try to keep at least one other different beer on tap most of the time. I brew often, but not as much as I like. I brew maybe 3 times per month now.
jammin Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #1737
hio3791
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I finally got around to brewing this recipe. My LHBS has Amarillo and Simcoe so I made a 10 gal batch Sat night. I brew in the garage and love brewing in the cold. My CFC knocked the temp down to 65F in no time. I split the batch between 2 buckets, 1 with US-05 and the other with Nottingham. The beer is happily fermenting at 63F.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #1738
BullGator
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hio3791
I finally got around to brewing this recipe. My LHBS has Amarillo and Simcoe so I made a 10 gal batch Sat night. I brew in the garage and love brewing in the cold. My CFC knocked the temp down to 65F in no time. I split the batch between 2 buckets, 1 with US-05 and the other with Nottingham. The beer is happily fermenting at 63F.

Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Your LHBS has amarillo? I recommend going back today and buying as much as they will sell you. And then send some to me

Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1739
Parkje04
Recipes 

My LHBS had amarillo too. The guy said he got about 50 ounces, and that would probably be it for the year. How long will those pellets stay good for if I throw them in the fridge? I may go back and get a few more, but I don't plan on using them for a couple months.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #1740
hio3791
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
Your LHBS has amarillo? I recommend going back today and buying as much as they will sell you. And then send some to me
I was shocked they had it in stock! They don't carry Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt and I didn't want to pay ridiculous shipping charges for 12 oz so I went with Crisp Amber.

Just an update, checked on the beer this morning to find the bucket with Nottingham had kreusen coming through the airlock! I was purposely fermenting the beer on the low range to slow down the fermentation a bit and minimize the chances of a blowoff. Oh well for that!

Basement smells so nice, can't wait to try this beer!

Quick Reply