Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #161
Danek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I can get hold of Simcoe and Amarillo, but not Warrior - do you think using Nugget would be an adequate substitute?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #162
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek View Post
I can get hold of Simcoe and Amarillo, but not Warrior - do you think using Nugget would be an adequate substitute?
IMO, bittering additions are all about AA%. The Nugget should be an acceptable substitute. The real stars of the show are the Simcoe & Amarillo...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 06-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #163
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Wow, great thread! I was having a pint of DFH 60 last night, thinking 'I need to make a beer just like this!'....I saw the extract version, but is there a PM version as well? 4 lbs is my standard grain bill.
I just ran the recipe through ProMash and I think you can go with 4 pounds of 2 row and 6 oz. of Maris Otter in the mash. At 75% efficiency, you would need 5 pounds of light dried malt extract. The rest of the recipe would be the same as the extract version. If your efficiency is less than 75%, add another 1/2 pound of DME.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 06-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #164
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

That sounds about right to me, too.

Incidently, we were drinking this at NHC, and OlllllO's SWMBO told me that she really loved this beer. I'm still in Ohio, and IPA-less, so I need to brew this fairly soon again when I get home!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #165
rurounikitsune
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am into my second case of this recipe. It is probably the finest beer I have made to date. Very flavorful. My FG was a bit low, though, so I ended up around 8% abv. Even with that it has a nice big mouthfeel and the head retention and lacing are just amazing. Kudos to Yooper.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #166
andypenning
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first AG started as a clone of DFH 60 min IPA, from the recipe in Mr. Calagione's "Exteme Brewing" book that was converted from extract. OG 1.067 and transferred to secondary at 1.015, using almost the exact grain bill as stated in OP. The only major difference that I can see is the recipe called for Wyeast 1187 Ringwood.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #167
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypenning View Post
My first AG started as a clone of DFH 60 min IPA, from the recipe in Mr. Calagione's "Exteme Brewing" book that was converted from extract. OG 1.067 and transferred to secondary at 1.015, using almost the exact grain bill as stated in OP. The only major difference that I can see is the recipe called for Wyeast 1187 Ringwood.
And the hops are different- no palisade hops in this recipe. The grain bill is almost all 2-row, except for a few ounces of amber malt. I might use aromatic malt next time instead of the amber malt.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #168
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

These 167 posts, while absorbing my entire lunch break (and then some) have made my day.

I brewed two different brews this weekend (a summer ale and an imperial stout). This is my first summer in a new apt and I realized that in order to get my fermentation temp correct (ie, below 83) I need to ferment them in my bedroom with the AC turned on low, all day long. I figured, if I am wasting that much electricity on two brews, why not throw a third brew in the mix as well, and take advantage of the AC while it is on, as I doubt my electricity bill will allow me to brew again this summer if the heat keeps up. IPAs are my favorite type of beer, and while I have been playing around with my own recipes and variations for a while, I decided I would go on here and find an IPA recipe that sounded good. And DFH60 is probably one of my favorite go-to IPAs. So this is perfect!

To make it even better, my last two batches were both PM (I only have a 5 gallon brew pot) and reading through these posts it seems I will just do the DME version and not waste the time and energy doing a PM, as it probably will not make too significant of a difference. While I love doing PM and hope to eventually have space/equipment for AG, it will be nice to do a simpler brew after the last two.

Now I just need to see what hops I have in my freezer, and hope that between my freezer and my LHBS I can get the Simcoe and the Amarillo....

Thanks!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #169
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A quick question...

Doing a DME version with a 3 gallon boil, would you recommend throwing the majority of the DME in at the end, to avoid carmelization and to maximize hop efficiency? Or would you recommend putting it all in at the beginning, because the late addition will lower the temperature and you will have to wait a bit for it to come back to a boil, also having potential consequences on hop utilization...

I wasn't sure if your hop modifications in post 29 were reflecting the lower hop utilizations due to the denser boil, or if they were just a reflection of other general hop utilization differences that occur between AG and extract...

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #170
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Does anyone think there would be too many flavors going on if I used Centennial and Cascade in the boil (so I can brew tonight because I am impatient) and then use Simcoe and Amarillo in the dry-hopping, since I can order them today and they will be here in time for the secondary?

Quick Reply