Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #1661
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre
I made the extract recipie.

My scale went nuts and I added about two and one half lbs of C40. I just went ahead with the recipie.

What should I expect as far as taste?
That's pretty extreme, I think we'd all like to hear what it tastes like then.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #1662
KozHops
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
I know what you mean. I got a 6er last weekend and remember thinking the same thing. I'll be kegging this batch on Saturday, can't wait to see how it turned out. The sample was promising
I knew we weren't that crazy...I went on DFH's brewpub site and they are making the 60 with Palisades and Simcoe. Here it is:

"60 Minute IPA, 6% abv

Our flagship beer is continuously & intensely hopped. A session I.P.A. brewed with Palisade & Simcoe hops. A powerful East Coast I.P.A. with a lot of citrusy hop character. The session beer for hardcore beer enthusiasts!"

Still a great beer but I'm certainly happy we have Yooper's recipe to brew up.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #1663
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KozHops

I knew we weren't that crazy...I went on DFH's brewpub site and they are making the 60 with Palisades and Simcoe. Here it is:

"60 Minute IPA, 6% abv

Our flagship beer is continuously & intensely hopped. A session I.P.A. brewed with Palisade & Simcoe hops. A powerful East Coast I.P.A. with a lot of citrusy hop character. The session beer for hardcore beer enthusiasts!"

Still a great beer but I'm certainly happy we have Yooper's recipe to brew up.
I thought it was mentioned that Sam's recipe in his book didn't mention Palisade's?

Old 08-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #1664
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
I thought it was mentioned that Sam's recipe in his book didn't mention Palisade's?
It does not mention Palisade, they were probably forced to use a different hop due to the Amarillo shortage.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #1665
Cranny04
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

image-1466276203.jpg

My clone vs the real thing. Mine is lighter in color and clearer. The hop character is there but mine is softer (I think its the water). All in all very close and darn tasty.

The only other difference is that the clone is in my chest freezer with an Oktoberfest I'm lagering. The carbonation is different but I think it's because mine has been "lagered" for three weeks.

Check out my blog about this beer.
http://brosbeerhomebrew.blogspot.com...ipa-clone.html

My Blog: Bros Beer

Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #1666
OzarkPA
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I didn't see it in the thread... but I was wondering in anyone uses the 'American Pale Ale' base malt for the 2-row? My LHBS has both and wondered if it might be a good match. The description of it here says you can use it when you want a solid malt backbone. However... older I get, the less malty beers sit a little better

Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #1667
Floydsview
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am going to brew my second batch tomorrow. The first batch I used S-05 and was very happy with the results. This time I have a 2 liter pacman starter ready. Should I cold crash overnight and decant or just pitch entire amount.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #1668
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydsview
I am going to brew my second batch tomorrow. The first batch I used S-05 and was very happy with the results. This time I have a 2 liter pacman starter ready. Should I cold crash overnight and decant or just pitch entire amount.
That's personal preference. If the starter is finished fermenting now I'd crash and decant. If its still active then pitch the whole thing

Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #1669
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I've brewed this and am enjoying some of the first brews out of the keg. It's tasty, but it's VERY, and I mean VERY grapefruity....I had some variances to the recipe, like using WLP 007 for yeast @65-66ish..So I know there are some fruity esters in there that were my fault for not leaving it at 63 for long enough...and using chinook in there in lieu of simcoe.

I'm wondering that if my preferences are more towards an earthy/piney IPA (part of my move to the chinook hops), what adjustments should I make? This was also not bitter enough, but I think that's partially because of how I added the hops, I think I may need a more structured process to have an idea of what I need to correct my process on this. I guess I'll be looking at changing up the hops schedule more and going with WLP 001 or with Pacman here as well.

That being said this is maybe the best beer I have made overall. I modified my water for it and I wonder if turning the knob a bit on the the sulfate/chloride ratio might do some good as well.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #1670
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post
So I've brewed this and am enjoying some of the first brews out of the keg. It's tasty, but it's VERY, and I mean VERY grapefruity....I had some variances to the recipe, like using WLP 007 for yeast @65-66ish..So I know there are some fruity esters in there that were my fault for not leaving it at 63 for long enough...and using chinook in there in lieu of simcoe.

I'm wondering that if my preferences are more towards an earthy/piney IPA (part of my move to the chinook hops), what adjustments should I make? This was also not bitter enough, but I think that's partially because of how I added the hops, I think I may need a more structured process to have an idea of what I need to correct my process on this. I guess I'll be looking at changing up the hops schedule more and going with WLP 001 or with Pacman here as well.

That being said this is maybe the best beer I have made overall. I modified my water for it and I wonder if turning the knob a bit on the the sulfate/chloride ratio might do some good as well.
Chinook is pretty citrusy- maybe the combo is overwhelmingly grapefruit?

I'd go with all of the warrior (or magnum or whatever you have for bittering) at the 60 minute mark, since you want more bittering, and use the flavor/aroma additions at 15/10/5/0 instead of continuous. That might make it easier for you, and still give you the feel of continous hopping.

If you want less grapefruit, instead of a clone of DFH, how about using magnum or warrior for bittering, and then using centennial and simcoe for the flavor and aroma? Or willamette with chinook?

Quick Reply