Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #1651
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
So you think 11.5lbs of US 2-row with 1lb of either munich 20L or biscuit would make for a better recipe?
Not a pound of biscuit! More like 6-8 ounces, instead of the cara-amber in your recipe.

I like Munich (a pound or two is fine) instead of so much maris otter for the base malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #1652
JayMac
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Not a pound of biscuit! More like 6-8 ounces, instead of the cara-amber in your recipe.

I like Munich (a pound or two is fine) instead of so much maris otter for the base malt.
Haha alright, I've never tried messing around with a recipe (obvious enough!). So are you saying something more like 12lbs 2-row w/ 6 oz biscuit, 11.5lbs 2-row w/ 1lb of munich, or 11lbs 2-row w/ 1lb munich w/ 6oz biscuit.

sorry about the nagging, but I'm about to place an order and I'm hard pressed for space in my MLT!

Thanks so much!

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #1653
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Haha alright, I've never tried messing around with a recipe (obvious enough!). So are you saying something more like 12lbs 2-row w/ 6 oz biscuit, 11.5lbs 2-row w/ 1lb of munich, or 11lbs 2-row w/ 1lb munich w/ 6oz biscuit.

sorry about the nagging, but I'm about to place an order and I'm hard pressed for space in my MLT!

Thanks so much!
I like the plain ol' recipe the best, so maybe I'm biased. But if you are lacking room in the MLT and need to sub a "maltier" malt, the Munich would help out. I like the 6 ounces of amber malt a lot, but if you can't find amber malt you could sub victory or biscuit malt. I wouldn't sub a cara- type malt unless you really like crystal malt in IPAs. I think it makes it too sweet and covers up the great hops.

If you can only fit 11.5 pounds of grain in your MLT, I'd go with 10 pounds two-row, 1 pound Munich, and 6 ounces biscuit/victory/amber malt. Depending on your efficiency, you should end up with an OG of 1.056 or so. That's a bit low for an IPA. You could always keep a pound of DME on hand and add that at the end of the boil to make up for the lack of grain.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #1654
JayMac
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I like the plain ol' recipe the best, so maybe I'm biased. But if you are lacking room in the MLT and need to sub a "maltier" malt, the Munich would help out. I like the 6 ounces of amber malt a lot, but if you can't find amber malt you could sub victory or biscuit malt. I wouldn't sub a cara- type malt unless you really like crystal malt in IPAs. I think it makes it too sweet and covers up the great hops.

If you can only fit 11.5 pounds of grain in your MLT, I'd go with 10 pounds two-row, 1 pound Munich, and 6 ounces biscuit/victory/amber malt. Depending on your efficiency, you should end up with an OG of 1.056 or so. That's a bit low for an IPA. You could always keep a pound of DME on hand and add that at the end of the boil to make up for the lack of grain.
I could hit 12.5 if I mashed with 1.2 quarts/lb of grain. It's a little low, but it'll get me a few more points than if I mashed with 1.25 and used 12lbs. Oh Well, if I get a good efficiency I should end up with 1.06 at least. I'll have to cross my fingers!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #1655
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

BIAB, double mill, high efficiency, less grain. Just sayin

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #1656
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts

When I made this, I forgot to add the amber malt and used 15 lbs of us 2-row, 0.25lbs of melanoiden, and 0.25lbs of acid malt (for mash pH adjustment). Found the little bag of amber on the counter about 30 minutes into the boil! Was the best malt character of any beer I have made yet. I guess my point is that even a simple grain bill can be excellent.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #1657
Malthead
Recipes 

Quick question about the original recipe. Is the dry hopping in secondary?
Thanks.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #1658
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthead View Post
Quick question about the original recipe. Is the dry hopping in secondary?
Thanks.
Typically, the idea is to rack from primary into the seconday which is pre-loaded with hops. That way, you rack right onto the hops and they get a better initial dispersion.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #1659
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

I used to rack to a clearing vessel, and add the dryhops there. But for the last few years, I just add the dryhops to my fermenter for the last 5 days or so before packaging the beer.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #1660
Sangre
Recipes 

I made the extract recipie.

My scale went nuts and I added about two and one half lbs of C40. I just went ahead with the recipie.

What should I expect as far as taste?

Quick Reply