Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #151
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've been waiting for some time to give this brew a go. I was going to make it on Sunday but got too busy putting the keg tower together. But I'm all set for this weekend. I was going to use a London Ale yeast, but am now thinking about tossing it onto the yeast cake from BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (I used Wyeast 1056 American Ale) as it's ready to be racked to the secondary. Any reason to reconsider?

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #153
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well my bouble batch is aging as we speak..I mixed it up a bit and dry hopped one with 2/3 Amarillo and 1/3 Simcoe and the other with 2/3 Simcoe and 1/3 Amarillo.

just to mix things up a bit..I mashed a bit lower this second time around at 153 and ended up around 1.014.

Jay

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 06-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #154
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I just pulled a pint of this from my kegerator - wow. What a great beer, tastes spot on to the real thing. Great recipe Yoops!

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #155
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just tapped the keg yesterday for the first time. Delicious! I did a side by side with a DFH and found a few small differences.
Mine came out a bit lighter in both color and body. Not a problem for me.
Mine was not nearly as bitter. I think that can attributed to my continuous hop method. I think I waited too long between additions. How long do you take to add the Warriors? What I did get was a nice, light, ale, with a dry finish, and an amazing grapefruit aroma and flavor. It's really strong, but adds a very nice edge, and is nothing I've experiencecd before. I like!
I'll definitely be making this again but won't take as long to add the hops. Thanks Yoopers!

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 06-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #156
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I also thought grapefruit at first but then I concluded it was more like passion fruit. Either way it's a great beer.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 06-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #157
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Mine came out darker and stronger than the 60, it reminds me more of the 90 minute. I'm not complaining, it's fantastic. I have all the ingredients to make a second batch but it's too hot out to do it.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #158
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

a few thoughts on this recipe..I have made it a few times with a few alterations..and have noticied as it ages it seems to bitter more. I know this seems strange..bitterness will not change over time..but possibly the sweetness from the hops mellows and brings a bit more bitter? Yooper have you noticed this? Im talking 3 to 6 months of age..

I made a double batch and went with a dry hop 1oz simcoe and .5 amarillo and .5 simcoe and 1 oz amarillo to mix it up a bit..not a clone but still great.

J

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #159
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfin View Post
a few thoughts on this recipe..I have made it a few times with a few alterations..and have noticied as it ages it seems to bitter more. I know this seems strange..bitterness will not change over time..but possibly the sweetness from the hops mellows and brings a bit more bitter? Yooper have you noticed this? Im talking 3 to 6 months of age..

I made a double batch and went with a dry hop 1oz simcoe and .5 amarillo and .5 simcoe and 1 oz amarillo to mix it up a bit..not a clone but still great.

J
I have never noticed that it's different with age- but.........it never lasts long enough to age at my house. Even my non-IPA-loving husband likes this beer because of the hopping. It makes sense though, that the "fresh" hops would fade and then the bitterness would be more pronounced.

I changed the bittering hops this last time, and did half at 60 minutes, with the rest added continuously until gone. I think I like more bittering, or maybe next time I'll try FWH again with that half. This is going to be a house beer- I like it that much.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #160
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, great thread! I was having a pint of DFH 60 last night, thinking 'I need to make a beer just like this!'....I saw the extract version, but is there a PM version as well? 4 lbs is my standard grain bill.

Quick Reply