Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #1581
oaktree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree View Post
repitched yesterday with some S-05 to try and revive it so it can go a few points lower than the 1.030 its been stuck at for 2 weeks.. hope it helps.
So its been another 4 days after repitching some S-05 and this is still stuck at 1.030. That puts it at 17 days in the primary in total. Any thing else I could do? Tasting the sample, doesn't actually taste too sweet surprisingly..But a pretty strong bitter aftertaste (which im sure will fade over time).. I'm stumped now so I'm getting ready to rack this to secondary tomorrow and start the dry hopping..
Im going to be bottling this later so I'm worried about all that sugar left behind making the bottles explode.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #1582
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
So its been another 4 days after repitching some S-05 and this is still stuck at 1.030. That puts it at 17 days in the primary in total. Any thing else I could do? Tasting the sample, doesn't actually taste too sweet surprisingly..But a pretty strong bitter aftertaste (which im sure will fade over time).. I'm stumped now so I'm getting ready to rack this to secondary tomorrow and start the dry hopping..
Im going to be bottling this later so I'm worried about all that sugar left behind making the bottles explode.
Did you try to rouse the yeast by shaking/oxygenating? I agree with you that at gravity 1.030 it could become a CO2 bomb in the bottle.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #1583
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Did you double check your hydrometer in plain water? Sometimes those papers slip, giving an inaccurate reading. Check the hydrometer in water, just to make sure your reading is really so high.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #1584
oaktree
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubHead

Did you try to rouse the yeast by shaking/oxygenating? I agree with you that at gravity 1.030 it could become a CO2 bomb in the bottle.
Yeah. I warmed it up to about 70 and shook it a little bit before i repitched the new yeast. Also shook it up some yesterday. Had no luck. Its extract so I just cant figure out what would make it stick

Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #1585
oaktree
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Did you double check your hydrometer in plain water? Sometimes those papers slip, giving an inaccurate reading. Check the hydrometer in water, just to make sure your reading is really so high.
Yooper, I already checked the hydrometer a few days ago.plain water @ 60F: 1.000. Got nothing but to dry hop and bottle.Probably keep an eye as it bottle conditions if the caps start to budge.
However, if the yeast aint acting on the sugar now, why would they act once bottled.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #1586
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Yeah. I warmed it up to about 70 and shook it a little bit before i repitched the new yeast. Also shook it up some yesterday. Had no luck. Its extract so I just cant figure out what would make it stick
Shake/swirl the crap out of it. I had to do just that (vigorous sloshing) since an earlier light shaking didn't get the yeast going.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #1587
rmcdermo
Recipes 

Hi, I'm getting ready to dry hop an extract batch of this. I have a hop bag. How do folks sterilize the bag? Should I just boil it prior to use? What about the hops? Do I need to do anything to them to avoid contamination or do I just put them in the bag and place them in the carboy?

Thanks. I can't wait to try this beer.
Rob

Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #1588
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcdermo View Post
Hi, I'm getting ready to dry hop an extract batch of this. I have a hop bag. How do folks sterilize the bag? Should I just boil it prior to use? What about the hops? Do I need to do anything to them to avoid contamination or do I just put them in the bag and place them in the carboy?

Thanks. I can't wait to try this beer.
Rob
I don't usually use bags, (they are hard to get IN the carboy, but much harder to get out!) but if you do simply sanitizing them or boiling them is fine. No need to do anything to the hops at all.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #1589
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

Just took my first FG sample. Hit 1.020 so I'm pretty sure it's done. Tasted a small sample and had a very distinct "coffee" taste. Is this normal?

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 06-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #1590
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6
Just took my first FG sample. Hit 1.020 so I'm pretty sure it's done. Tasted a small sample and had a very distinct "coffee" taste. Is this normal?
See if you can get it down more from 1.020, unless your OG was high. DFH 60 always has a certain roasty toasty quality to it that no one else seems to relate to, maybe this is what you're talking about? It's still hoppy with citrus but it has something unique, different than all other IPA's.

Quick Reply