Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #1581
oaktree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germantown
Posts: 32
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree View Post
repitched yesterday with some S-05 to try and revive it so it can go a few points lower than the 1.030 its been stuck at for 2 weeks.. hope it helps.
So its been another 4 days after repitching some S-05 and this is still stuck at 1.030. That puts it at 17 days in the primary in total. Any thing else I could do? Tasting the sample, doesn't actually taste too sweet surprisingly..But a pretty strong bitter aftertaste (which im sure will fade over time).. I'm stumped now so I'm getting ready to rack this to secondary tomorrow and start the dry hopping..
Im going to be bottling this later so I'm worried about all that sugar left behind making the bottles explode.
__________________
oaktree is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #1582
TrubHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Winter Park
Posts: 309
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree View Post
So its been another 4 days after repitching some S-05 and this is still stuck at 1.030. That puts it at 17 days in the primary in total. Any thing else I could do? Tasting the sample, doesn't actually taste too sweet surprisingly..But a pretty strong bitter aftertaste (which im sure will fade over time).. I'm stumped now so I'm getting ready to rack this to secondary tomorrow and start the dry hopping..
Im going to be bottling this later so I'm worried about all that sugar left behind making the bottles explode.
Did you try to rouse the yeast by shaking/oxygenating? I agree with you that at gravity 1.030 it could become a CO2 bomb in the bottle.
__________________
TrubHead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #1583
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,840
Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Default


Did you double check your hydrometer in plain water? Sometimes those papers slip, giving an inaccurate reading. Check the hydrometer in water, just to make sure your reading is really so high.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #1584
oaktree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germantown
Posts: 32
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubHead

Did you try to rouse the yeast by shaking/oxygenating? I agree with you that at gravity 1.030 it could become a CO2 bomb in the bottle.
Yeah. I warmed it up to about 70 and shook it a little bit before i repitched the new yeast. Also shook it up some yesterday. Had no luck. Its extract so I just cant figure out what would make it stick
__________________
oaktree is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #1585
oaktree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Germantown
Posts: 32
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Did you double check your hydrometer in plain water? Sometimes those papers slip, giving an inaccurate reading. Check the hydrometer in water, just to make sure your reading is really so high.
Yooper, I already checked the hydrometer a few days ago.plain water @ 60F: 1.000. Got nothing but to dry hop and bottle.Probably keep an eye as it bottle conditions if the caps start to budge.
However, if the yeast aint acting on the sugar now, why would they act once bottled.
__________________
oaktree is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #1586
TrubHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Winter Park
Posts: 309
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktree View Post
Yeah. I warmed it up to about 70 and shook it a little bit before i repitched the new yeast. Also shook it up some yesterday. Had no luck. Its extract so I just cant figure out what would make it stick
Shake/swirl the crap out of it. I had to do just that (vigorous sloshing) since an earlier light shaking didn't get the yeast going.
__________________
TrubHead is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #1587
rmcdermo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 14
Default


Hi, I'm getting ready to dry hop an extract batch of this. I have a hop bag. How do folks sterilize the bag? Should I just boil it prior to use? What about the hops? Do I need to do anything to them to avoid contamination or do I just put them in the bag and place them in the carboy?

Thanks. I can't wait to try this beer.
Rob

__________________
rmcdermo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #1588
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,840
Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcdermo View Post
Hi, I'm getting ready to dry hop an extract batch of this. I have a hop bag. How do folks sterilize the bag? Should I just boil it prior to use? What about the hops? Do I need to do anything to them to avoid contamination or do I just put them in the bag and place them in the carboy?

Thanks. I can't wait to try this beer.
Rob
I don't usually use bags, (they are hard to get IN the carboy, but much harder to get out!) but if you do simply sanitizing them or boiling them is fine. No need to do anything to the hops at all.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #1589
JeffoC6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stewartsville
Posts: 1,038
Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

Default


Just took my first FG sample. Hit 1.020 so I'm pretty sure it's done. Tasted a small sample and had a very distinct "coffee" taste. Is this normal?

__________________
Pap Don Brewers

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA
JeffoC6 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #1590
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 799
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6
Just took my first FG sample. Hit 1.020 so I'm pretty sure it's done. Tasted a small sample and had a very distinct "coffee" taste. Is this normal?
See if you can get it down more from 1.020, unless your OG was high. DFH 60 always has a certain roasty toasty quality to it that no one else seems to relate to, maybe this is what you're talking about? It's still hoppy with citrus but it has something unique, different than all other IPA's.
__________________
sivdrinks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DogFish Head 90 minute IPA Clone BootYtRappeR Recipes/Ingredients 4 08-04-2014 12:01 AM
Brewing the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA clone today joutlaw General Beer Discussion 59 12-31-2011 12:00 AM
Any recipe clone for Dogfish Head 120 minute? ezatnova Recipes/Ingredients 10 08-12-2009 06:43 PM
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA Yuri_Rage Commercial Brew Discussion 16 04-26-2008 06:25 AM
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA jlinner Recipes/Ingredients 3 10-12-2006 12:06 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS