Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #1501
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewhaha
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. But, alas, it seems like anybody who is serious about home brewing uses a secondary (not a dig, I promise). I think I might order one to have ready just in time for this batch. Seems like there are several benefits that make it worth it.
I've done it both ways and there is no difference. Only added work and increased risk of infection. Not telling you not to secondary, just sharing my (and many others) experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #1502
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewhaha View Post
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. But, alas, it seems like anybody who is serious about home brewing uses a secondary (not a dig, I promise). I think I might order one to have ready just in time for this batch. Seems like there are several benefits that make it worth it.
As an old winemaker, I used to always do a "secondary". Secondary is really a misnomber as it's more properly called a "bright tank". In breweries, the beer is fermented and then moved to the bright tank for clearing and so that another batch can be started in the fermenter. Since no fermentation is happening in this clearing vessel, calling it a "secondary" is in incorrect term that comes from winemaking.

Anyway, I don't usually use a clearing vessel on my beers anymore, and I would say that I'm serious about homebrewing.

But the great thing is that everyone can do what they want, and beer is the end result so it's all good.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #1503
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Anyway, I don't usually use a clearing vessel on my beers anymore, and I would say that I'm serious about homebrewing.

But the great thing is that everyone can do what they want, and beer is the end result so it's all good.
hmm... Now stoopid newb me confused. Given this, would you go so far as to say you would amend the original recipe to not include a 'secondary'??

Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #1504
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewhaha
That used to be the case. Now some serious homebrewers use a secondary, and other serious homebrewers (like Palmer and jamil) do not. I no longer use a secondary for my DFH60 clone brews and dry hop right in the primary with loose pellets. Try it, I bet you will like it!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #1505
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
hmm... Now stoopid newb me confused. Given this, would you go so far as to say you would amend the original recipe to not include a 'secondary'??
No, I think it's up to the individual. I rarely do one anymore, but that's just because not using one works great for me. I often keg this beer by about day 20 now, but maybe that's not right for everybody, either!

It's been over 5 years since I posted this recipe. And it's still a favorite in our house. But I also don't have the same system I did then- I now have a HERMS and have a different efficiency. Overall, I think any brewer should take a recipe and do it their way. Some use clearing vessels, some don't. Some even dryhop in the keg. If a new brewer wants to do it "my" way, that's cool. But once they feel confident in their own procedures, it's usually best for them to do it their way!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #1506
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Brewed this today. Came up 5 points short at 1.065 but still hopeful I will get a great beer. That continuous hopping is quite a chore. Thanks yooper

Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #1507
Sirwood
Recipes 

I cracked open my first bottle of this last night and man o' man is it good. Hops are fantastic, nice malt flavor, just a great overall beer. No one will be dissatisfied with this recipe.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #1508
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed this yesterday with a pound less two row, BIAB 80% efficiency. OG 1.069, pitched pack of s-05 and some washed Am Ale 2 I had in the fridge. Mashed around 151-152, my attenuation is usually so-so. Also threw in 5 oz honey malt to get rid of it and upped the hops just a tad, made my additions every 5 minutes. Adding every 5 minutes wasn't bad at all, actually made the 60 minutes go by pretty fast. Check back in a couple days.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #1509
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Bah! Haven't brewed in a while and it shows. Brewed the extract version of this last night and accidentally pitched my 1056 @ 80º rather than the preferred lower temp. Is my life over? Should I pour this beer in the terlet? Will the world end? RDWHAHB?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #1510
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Bah! Haven't brewed in a while and it shows. Brewed the extract version of this last night and accidentally pitched my 1056 @ 80º rather than the preferred lower temp. Is my life over? Should I pour this beer in the terlet? Will the world end? RDWHAHB?
Lol! Armageddon is on!
Just get it cooler and you should be fine. Might get a little bit of off flavor but that's life!

Quick Reply