Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #1171
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
paulster2626's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,857
Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Default


Did you do a full boil? If not, you probably just didn't mix the top-up water with the wort well enough.

Also what temp. did you take your reading at? If the wort was hot or warm, you need to account for this.

Post the exact recipe you used and your method and we'll see.

__________________
paulster2626 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #1172
ShaLaH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 41
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Big Thanks to Yooper and everyone! First AG


Just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" to Yooper for posting this recipe and to everyone else on this forum.

I did my first All Grain yesterday with this recipe and it went pretty smoothly. I made my first yeast starter on Thurs night, made a mash tun out of a cooler on Saturday, brewed on Sunday. Great Weekend! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/n045.gif

I did a 2.5 Gallon batch on my gas stove (no garage, backyard, etc. for propane). My Mash temp was 4 degrees low so I added a half gallon of hot water (180 degrees?) until I hit the temp and took a half gallon off of my sparge water. The glass lid on my brew kettle exploded and shards of glass fell into sparge water - minor setback - rinsed out kettle thoroughly, added more water to get up to temp.

Preboil Gravity was on the money, O.G. was a tiny bit off, not concerning though; I figured at this point in the brew day I'd be way off and running for the DME. Beginner's luck I guess.

However, I added the Warrior at 60 min, Amarillo at 35 min, & Simcoe at 30 min. but I didn't toss them in gradually, I just dumped all the hops at their intended times. Any idea how this might turn out differently than sprinkling in hops every few minutes? What are the benefits of sprinkling in hops through boil, is it something to do with hop utilization?

Thanks again Everyone!

__________________
Up Next:
Belgian Dubbel Take

Primary:
none :(

Secondary:
not usually

Bottled:
"Paul Revere" American Pale Ale
Cousin Swillbags's Chocolate Stout
DFH 60 Min IPA Clone
TBD American Brown Ale
"Old Ridiculer" Olde English Strong ESB
ShaLaH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #1173
Tbnguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: McHenry
Posts: 48
Likes Given: 1

Default


Looking forward to brewing this in a couple days.

__________________
Tbnguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #1174
abrew2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Amherst
Posts: 213
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default


just bottled this today it tastes awesome

__________________
abrew2u is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #1175
ndoe22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 134
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


I am brewing this tomarow. My local HBS only had Maris Otter, since the I found someone who had Amber malt. Is thier a diffrence in batch taste/aperanc using one over the other?

__________________
ndoe22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #1176
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,811
Liked 4918 Times on 3567 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ndoe22 View Post
I am brewing this tomarow. My local HBS only had Maris Otter, since the I found someone who had Amber malt. Is thier a diffrence in batch taste/aperanc using one over the other?
Yes, the amber malt is better. BUT, with only a few ounces, it's ok to use biscuit malt, marris otter, or amber malt in the recipe with good results!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #1177
Wolfhound180
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Wolfhound180's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Quantico
Posts: 408
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLaH
Just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" to Yooper for posting this recipe and to everyone else on this forum.

I did my first All Grain yesterday with this recipe and it went pretty smoothly. I made my first yeast starter on Thurs night, made a mash tun out of a cooler on Saturday, brewed on Sunday. Great Weekend! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/n045.gif

I did a 2.5 Gallon batch on my gas stove (no garage, backyard, etc. for propane). My Mash temp was 4 degrees low so I added a half gallon of hot water (180 degrees?) until I hit the temp and took a half gallon off of my sparge water. The glass lid on my brew kettle exploded and shards of glass fell into sparge water - minor setback - rinsed out kettle thoroughly, added more water to get up to temp.

Preboil Gravity was on the money, O.G. was a tiny bit off, not concerning though; I figured at this point in the brew day I'd be way off and running for the DME. Beginner's luck I guess.

However, I added the Warrior at 60 min, Amarillo at 35 min, & Simcoe at 30 min. but I didn't toss them in gradually, I just dumped all the hops at their intended times. Any idea how this might turn out differently than sprinkling in hops every few minutes? What are the benefits of sprinkling in hops through boil, is it something to do with hop utilization?

Thanks again Everyone!
Umm yea that is going to be one bitter beer. Sprinkling them in after the 35 min mark to the end of the boil is all flavor hopping. Just wait it out, it might not be too bad.
__________________
Wolfhound180 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #1178
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 944
Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Where is everyone getting Simcoe hops from? I can't seem to find pellet hops, only leaf...

__________________
DIY stuff...
- Bar
- S/S mash paddle, PEX manifold
brew2enjoy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #1179
abrew2u
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Amherst
Posts: 213
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy
Where is everyone getting Simcoe hops from? I can't seem to find pellet hops, only leaf...
I got mine from nthomebrew.com
__________________
abrew2u is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #1180
Remmis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 8
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
Where is everyone getting Simcoe hops from? I can't seem to find pellet hops, only leaf...
Hm, I specifically look for leaf for this recipe, especially for the dry hop portion.
__________________
Remmis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DogFish Head 90 minute IPA Clone BootYtRappeR Recipes/Ingredients 4 08-04-2014 12:01 AM
Brewing the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA clone today joutlaw General Beer Discussion 59 12-31-2011 12:00 AM
Any recipe clone for Dogfish Head 120 minute? ezatnova Recipes/Ingredients 10 08-12-2009 06:43 PM
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA Yuri_Rage Commercial Brew Discussion 16 04-26-2008 06:25 AM
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA jlinner Recipes/Ingredients 3 10-12-2006 12:06 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS