Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #1171
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Did you do a full boil? If not, you probably just didn't mix the top-up water with the wort well enough.

Also what temp. did you take your reading at? If the wort was hot or warm, you need to account for this.

Post the exact recipe you used and your method and we'll see.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #1172
ShaLaH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Big Thanks to Yooper and everyone! First AG

Just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" to Yooper for posting this recipe and to everyone else on this forum.

I did my first All Grain yesterday with this recipe and it went pretty smoothly. I made my first yeast starter on Thurs night, made a mash tun out of a cooler on Saturday, brewed on Sunday. Great Weekend! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/n045.gif

I did a 2.5 Gallon batch on my gas stove (no garage, backyard, etc. for propane). My Mash temp was 4 degrees low so I added a half gallon of hot water (180 degrees?) until I hit the temp and took a half gallon off of my sparge water. The glass lid on my brew kettle exploded and shards of glass fell into sparge water - minor setback - rinsed out kettle thoroughly, added more water to get up to temp.

Preboil Gravity was on the money, O.G. was a tiny bit off, not concerning though; I figured at this point in the brew day I'd be way off and running for the DME. Beginner's luck I guess.

However, I added the Warrior at 60 min, Amarillo at 35 min, & Simcoe at 30 min. but I didn't toss them in gradually, I just dumped all the hops at their intended times. Any idea how this might turn out differently than sprinkling in hops every few minutes? What are the benefits of sprinkling in hops through boil, is it something to do with hop utilization?

Thanks again Everyone!

Primary:
none :(

Secondary:
not usually

Bottled:
"Paul Revere" American Pale Ale
Cousin Swillbags's Chocolate Stout
DFH 60 Min IPA Clone
TBD American Brown Ale
"Old Ridiculer" Olde English Strong ESB

Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #1173
Tbnguy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Looking forward to brewing this in a couple days.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #1174
abrew2u
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

just bottled this today it tastes awesome

Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #1175
ndoe22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am brewing this tomarow. My local HBS only had Maris Otter, since the I found someone who had Amber malt. Is thier a diffrence in batch taste/aperanc using one over the other?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #1176
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4918 Times on 3567 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndoe22 View Post
I am brewing this tomarow. My local HBS only had Maris Otter, since the I found someone who had Amber malt. Is thier a diffrence in batch taste/aperanc using one over the other?
Yes, the amber malt is better. BUT, with only a few ounces, it's ok to use biscuit malt, marris otter, or amber malt in the recipe with good results!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #1177
Wolfhound180
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLaH
Just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" to Yooper for posting this recipe and to everyone else on this forum.

I did my first All Grain yesterday with this recipe and it went pretty smoothly. I made my first yeast starter on Thurs night, made a mash tun out of a cooler on Saturday, brewed on Sunday. Great Weekend! http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/n045.gif

I did a 2.5 Gallon batch on my gas stove (no garage, backyard, etc. for propane). My Mash temp was 4 degrees low so I added a half gallon of hot water (180 degrees?) until I hit the temp and took a half gallon off of my sparge water. The glass lid on my brew kettle exploded and shards of glass fell into sparge water - minor setback - rinsed out kettle thoroughly, added more water to get up to temp.

Preboil Gravity was on the money, O.G. was a tiny bit off, not concerning though; I figured at this point in the brew day I'd be way off and running for the DME. Beginner's luck I guess.

However, I added the Warrior at 60 min, Amarillo at 35 min, & Simcoe at 30 min. but I didn't toss them in gradually, I just dumped all the hops at their intended times. Any idea how this might turn out differently than sprinkling in hops every few minutes? What are the benefits of sprinkling in hops through boil, is it something to do with hop utilization?

Thanks again Everyone!
Umm yea that is going to be one bitter beer. Sprinkling them in after the 35 min mark to the end of the boil is all flavor hopping. Just wait it out, it might not be too bad.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #1178
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts

Where is everyone getting Simcoe hops from? I can't seem to find pellet hops, only leaf...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #1179
abrew2u
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy
Where is everyone getting Simcoe hops from? I can't seem to find pellet hops, only leaf...
I got mine from nthomebrew.com

Old 12-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #1180
Remmis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
Hm, I specifically look for leaf for this recipe, especially for the dry hop portion.

Quick Reply