Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #1161
thetmaxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have brewed this 3 times. I subbed nugget and centennial hops because of LHBS availability the first batch, then forgot i subbed it for batch 2 & 3. The first batch was horrible... I read lots of stuff based on the flavour I was getting and thought maybe I was getting too hot of doughballs in the mash. so I used rice hulls and stirred often with no change. This last batch, I thought for sure it was my water, so I learned about water salts, and adjusted for IPA. I also changed from Dry hopping for 14 days to 5 days. Just cracked open a bottle last night and again it's horrible. I've been sampling all batches from 1 week to 3 months, and it doesn't ever get any better...

It seems so many people can do this no problem, and even the other beers I make are all good, this is the only one I cannot get. It's also the only one I'm doing with such high IBU.

Any ideas where I could be screwing up, and is the nugget/ centennial that bad of a combo? I know I love amarillo/ simcoe combo but I'm leery of brewing this again without fixing something else.

2011: 95 Gallons
2012: 100 Gallons
2013: 10 Gallons
Fermenting: Cream Ale, Smoked Chipotle Porter, Flanders Brown
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, Oaked RIS, IPA, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Black IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof4age View Post
Begin pumping with the tip half in, half out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #1162
sburggsx
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I don't usually siphon it to a "secondary", I usually dryhop in the fermenter and then package 5-7 days later. I like to have the hops aroma "fresh" and it seems like about 5 days is enough for dryhopping.

I don't typically age many beers, especially IPAs.
I just came to see if I really needed to secondary to dry hop. There's my answer. Thanks Yooper!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #1163
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetmaxx View Post
I have brewed this 3 times. I subbed nugget and centennial hops because of LHBS availability the first batch, then forgot i subbed it for batch 2 & 3. The first batch was horrible... I read lots of stuff based on the flavour I was getting and thought maybe I was getting too hot of doughballs in the mash. so I used rice hulls and stirred often with no change. This last batch, I thought for sure it was my water, so I learned about water salts, and adjusted for IPA. I also changed from Dry hopping for 14 days to 5 days. Just cracked open a bottle last night and again it's horrible. I've been sampling all batches from 1 week to 3 months, and it doesn't ever get any better...

It seems so many people can do this no problem, and even the other beers I make are all good, this is the only one I cannot get. It's also the only one I'm doing with such high IBU.

Any ideas where I could be screwing up, and is the nugget/ centennial that bad of a combo? I know I love amarillo/ simcoe combo but I'm leery of brewing this again without fixing something else.
I don't know. I''m not a nugget fan (it's harsh) but I love centennial.

Can you make a batch with 100% reverse osmosis water, like from the "water machine" at the grocery store? And I'd recommend following the recipe exactly, and double checking to make sure your thermometer is correct!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #1164
Brew_Meister
Recipes 

All done brewing this. OG ended up a bit short at 1.063, BeerSmith2 estimated 1.066. My efficiency was around 69% for this brew which is the same as my first AG. Everything seemed to work out pretty smooth. The continuous hopping kept me busy during the boil. I was not able to sanitize and clean up during the boil like usual. It smells wonderful and tastes wonderful. I can't wait until this is finished.

Cheers

Old 11-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #1165
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Mine is taking forever to carb - tried another last night. It's about 1/2 carbed. Tastes good though. Oh well - wait another 2 weeks... Drink different beer...

Old 11-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #1166
thetmaxx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I don't know. I''m not a nugget fan (it's harsh) but I love centennial.

Can you make a batch with 100% reverse osmosis water, like from the "water machine" at the grocery store? And I'd recommend following the recipe exactly, and double checking to make sure your thermometer is correct!
I really am starting to think its the nugget. I did do the second one with building from ro water. And I think my temp is OK, brewed some wicked wheat and blonde this summer

2011: 95 Gallons
2012: 100 Gallons
2013: 10 Gallons
Fermenting: Cream Ale, Smoked Chipotle Porter, Flanders Brown
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, Oaked RIS, IPA, Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Black IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof4age View Post
Begin pumping with the tip half in, half out.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 AM   #1167
1GR8DA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Brewed a 10 gallon batch of this today. Thanks for posting by the way. OG came out at 1.065. This is the first time making a big starter and I must say, what a difference 3L makes. Pitched about an hour ago and it is already bubbling away! Will post results with final product.

"Drive through it Cole. I know you can..I know it in my heart."

Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #1168
palmm
Recipes 

my OG came out to 1.029, any idea it was so far off from everyone elses?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #1169
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmm View Post
my OG came out to 1.029, any idea it was so far off from everyone elses?
About 10 different reasons come to mind, but unless you shed a little light on how you brewed it, it's all just shots in the dark!

Old 11-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #1170
palmm
Recipes 

i thought i followed the recipe for partial mash, changed the hops a little due to lhbs. the only thing i can think of is the temperature i brewed it at. Can you name some of the reasons my OG would be lower than normal?

Quick Reply