Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #1101
Yooper
Frau Admin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3847 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell View Post
this is going to be my next IPA .. I'm only going to make 3 gallons, so do you think I could just pitch a packet of dry us-05?
Yes, that would be fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #1102
blackbear219
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The ingredients for this are coming in today and I am planning on brewing it tonight. I am using Nottingham and it just so happens that I also have a spare packet of Nottingham in the fridge. This will be the biggest beer I have brewed so far, most have been in the 1.040 ballpark.

Where this is a bigger beer and I just have this extra yeast that will probably go un-used otherwise, is there any harm in pitching both packets? Overkill?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #1103
jhenderson27
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nope. Shoudnt cause an issue. On anything 1.06+ i usually pitch 2 packets if using dry yeast.

Go Big or Go Home!

It's not speed that kills, its the sudden stop that tends to hurt!

Big Gulp eh, Well See ya Later!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #1104
Quigs
Recipes 

Default Ready?

Brewed this as our second batch (group of friends) of beer. First batch as a Imperial IPA kit from Brewers best. Tasted last night after 4 weeks in bottles. Pretty good - had a bitter bite to it and a very dry after taste.

Followed the extract version of the recipe. Had to substitute columbus/centenial mix for Simcoe for hop boil. Was able to get Simcoe for dry hop.

Batch is still in fermenter. OG was 1.068. Tough to get exact reading with all bubbles. Just took sample last night at 7 days and its down to 1.014 and still releasing bubbles every 15-20 seconds. Is it done?. We figured we would let sit for another 5-7 days then dry hop for a week with Simcoe and Amarillo per directions for 7 days then bottle.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #1105
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3847 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
Brewed this as our second batch (group of friends) of beer. First batch as a Imperial IPA kit from Brewers best. Tasted last night after 4 weeks in bottles. Pretty good - had a bitter bite to it and a very dry after taste.

Followed the extract version of the recipe. Had to substitute columbus/centenial mix for Simcoe for hop boil. Was able to get Simcoe for dry hop.

Batch is still in fermenter. OG was 1.068. Tough to get exact reading with all bubbles. Just took sample last night at 7 days and its down to 1.014 and still releasing bubbles every 15-20 seconds. Is it done?. We figured we would let sit for another 5-7 days then dry hop for a week with Simcoe and Amarillo per directions for 7 days then bottle.
It's done if you check it again in three days and it's still 1.014. If it's lower, check it again three days later. When the SG doesn't change any more, the beer is finished fermenting. I'd dryhop after the SG hasn't changed for at least three days, and the beer is clear. It might be in 7 days, but it might not be for another 14 days. Don't dryhop until 7 days before bottling!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #1106
slogger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Must Make!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #1107
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

This is still one of my favorite recipes I have brewed so far. I want to do it again but I am going to wait until I get all my AG equipment, then I will try the AG recipe. maybe I should stock up on simcoe before it's all gone

Old 10-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #1108
norciabrewmonk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
This is still one of my favorite recipes I have brewed so far. I want to do it again but I am going to wait until I get all my AG equipment, then I will try the AG recipe. maybe I should stock up on simcoe before it's all gone
Make an extract batch, then you'll have something to drink while you collect your AG equipment ...

I really want to make this again, correcting the mistakes I made last time (although the beer was still great). Just need to find the time.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #1109
BigTerp
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Will be stepping up my Pacman starter this evening for my Sunday funday of brewing Yoopers recipe. Can't wait!! My LHBS had a good amount of Simcoe. I went ahead and bought 4 ounces since I imagine I'll be making this one again in the near future.

Primary #1: Yoopers Haus Pale Ale
Primary #2: Yoopers Haus Pale Ale
Primary #3:
Primary #4:
Bottled: Surly Bender Brown Ale, Pumpkin Ale, HHHH Pale Ale, Apfelwein (9/3/11)

Old 10-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #1110
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Didn't have simcoe when I made this, so I substituted Galena and Horizon mixed in the place of simcoe...

Flavor is nice after 30 days, with nice floral tones, but it still tastes a little hot because the fg finished at 1.004

Don't know exactly why this happened as I fermented at 68 or so (room temp).

One curiosity is that a while ago i thought that it would be a good idea and maybe work on a house yeast blend, and mixed pacman and nottingham cakes to see what would happen. Maybe this is what happened...

If I like the final beer in a few weeks, I will continue this train of thought. Otherwise, if it isn't broke, don't sub strange yeast strains, and different hops

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Quick Reply