Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #101
Yooper
Frau Admin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Oh, no you could very easily do it. No problem at all. It's just like a kit, as stever said, except that you are assembling your own ingredients instead of pulling them out of the box, I actually have detailed instructions in Beersmith, and I can export that as a text file and email it to you if you want if that will help.

As for dryhopping, I've dryhopped it for as little as 3-5 days and as long as 2 weeks (in the keg). Today when I racked it to secondary, I added the dry hops and will let that sit a week or so before racking it to the keg.

One last tiny, almost insignificant detail that I must tell you, stever. I am not a "HE"!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #102
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know for bittering you could replace with a number of high AA..but for dry hopping and flavor you really need simcoe and amarillo IMO..it will still be a great beer in any account, but these are 2 hard aroma hops to replace so it will not be the same as DFH, if that is what you are shooting for.

Williams and AHB claim to have both of these in pellet form.

I used pellets to dry hop and gave it a gentile swirl every day and crash cooled..they all settle nice to the bottom so worked great. I kept in secondary on the hops for 2 weeks..longer the better

Jay

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Last edited by discgolfin; 03-14-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #103
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
One last tiny, almost insignificant detail that I must tell you, stever. I am not a "HE"!
Thanks for the clarification, I have fixed my previous post. :]

Old 03-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #104
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever
Thanks for the clarification, I have fixed my previous post. :]
Haha- I'm just messing with you. Unless you actually looked at my gallery or "knew" me, it's probably hard to tell that I'm a woman. I'm actually kind of a petite woman, though, and it makes me laugh sometimes when you guys think I'm a big beer drinking guy! I sure wasn't offended, though, so don't worry about that!

Old 03-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #105
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Not offended at all. I do think I saw someone thanking a Lorena for the recipe? So part of my brain thought you were a woman but the other part that is responsible for making the correct decisions and figuring things out failed to put 2 and 2 together.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #106
jimithing
Recipes 

yooperbrew, those detailed instructions would be awesome to have. my email address is a19j78@yahoo.com. i figured i would be able to handle it. the onlt thing thta was worrying me was some of the terminalogy that was being used by everyone. but if there is one thing i do well it's following directions. so thank you so much again and when i get this thing rolling i will def. let you know how it's going.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #107
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

I emailed the recipe and instructions to you- let me know if you have any questions. The recipe has instructions for both liquid extract, or dry, depending on your preference.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #108
Rhino17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This recipe looks great, and as a Canuck that hasn't tried anything from Dogfish Head, this is going to be my next brew, and brew day is tomorrow!

However, I have couple questions about hop substitutions:

Finding these particular hops has been difficult for me, and my LHBS is really, really hurting in the hops department now (he says he's having problems even buying hops now) So, I need to make substitutions, but the pickings are slim.

For the warrior, I can substitute Nugget, but I am having problems with the Amarillo and Simcoe. I thought perhaps I could substitute the Simcoe with Cascade, since to me, they both have a piney sort of flavour. But Simcoe is around 12%AA, and Cascade is 5.5%AA, so would I have to double the Cascade? And if so, would double the hops at flavour addition add to much flavour?

For the Amarillo, I'm kind of stuck. The hops I have on hand are Liberty, Cascade, Chinook, Northern Brewer, Glacier, Sazz, Hallertauer, and Pearle. Any suggestions?

I know it won't be exactly like Dogfish Head, but since I haven't tried it, anything even remotely close would be great.

Any ideas?

Rhino

Last edited by Rhino17; 03-16-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #109
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Well, the problem is that both simcoe and amarillo are kind of irreplaceable. Cascade could work for the amarillo, and as you noted, it just won't be the same beer, and you'll have to adjust the AAs for them. However, for the dryhopping you don't have to adjust them at all.

Chinook, NB, and Pearle won't be very good subs at all for either simcoe or amarillo. Liberty is NOTHING like simcoe, but it is good for aroma and flavor. Same with crystal hops. The only hop variety that I would consider as even a reasonable substitute for simcoe might be centennial. That's not a good sub, really, but it would give you a ton of aroma and flavor.

Actually, if you subbed centennial and cascade for the simcoe and amarillo, you'd get a nice tasty IPA. It wouldn't be a DFH clone but it woud be a very nice IPA regardless.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #110
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

you can get the amarillo and simcoe at austinhomebrew.com or amarillo at brewbyyou.com (they say out of stock but they are not) and homebrewheaven.com has a great price on simcoe whole leaf. Granted that doesn't solve your problem since you are brewing tomorrow but without them It really wont be the same.

Quick Reply