Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Multiple - Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #1041
norciabrewmonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You can dry hop in the primary. However, I HIGHLY recommend you use a hop bag. I just dumped my hops in. It didn't hurt the beer, but it made racking at bottling time a nightmare. My racking cane clogged three times, and the poor flow caused my priming sugar not to mix consistently.
Simplicity rules

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #1042
XtremeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just dump my hops in too, but I wrap fine mesh bags around the bottom and the mouth of the siphon. It's still not perfect, but its only about 70% of the nightmare without it. That being said, I just ordered some hop balls from Northern Brewer today for future batches

Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #1043
boltsfan
Recipes 

I am fermenting at 70-73* so I assume that is going to be ok. Weather is warm so it is hard to keep the carboy (better bottle) cool. I have it sitting in a party bucket filled with about 6-7" water and I keep adding ice packs. I also have the carboy wrapped in a damp towel. Also had to install blow off tube (my 1st) as the airlock was full of brew 18 hours later and the activity is crazy. I was barley able to get my 3/8" siphon hose over the inner piece on the airlock and have it going to a growler filed with Star San. Did I do everything right?

Due to a scheduling conflict I can dry hop after 10-11 days or wait 15-16 days. I am hoping that I can do it after 10-11 days. Thoughts...? or does it just matter when the fermentation is complete?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #1044
boltsfan
Recipes 

Also... local HBS does not have simcoe or the pacman yeast. So I talked to the guys there and substituted summit hops for the simcoe and I went with the White Labs yeast.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #1045
DeNomad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan View Post
I am fermenting at 70-73* so I assume that is going to be ok. Weather is warm so it is hard to keep the carboy (better bottle) cool. I have it sitting in a party bucket filled with about 6-7" water and I keep adding ice packs. I also have the carboy wrapped in a damp towel. Also had to install blow off tube (my 1st) as the airlock was full of brew 18 hours later and the activity is crazy. I was barley able to get my 3/8" siphon hose over the inner piece on the airlock and have it going to a growler filed with Star San. Did I do everything right?

Due to a scheduling conflict I can dry hop after 10-11 days or wait 15-16 days. I am hoping that I can do it after 10-11 days. Thoughts...? or does it just matter when the fermentation is complete?
You should be fine letting it sit if fermentation is done. I brewed a batch of this in Oct 2010. I bottled it June 2011. Taste is awesome! Just make sure to dry hop just before bottling so you don't loose the aroma.

Primary: Yooper_Brew's Dead Guy Clone, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter
Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale, Pliney the Elder Clone

Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #1046
nofootbreak
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I brewed an extract batch of this on the 5th and hit the OG dead on (obviously, since its extract...). I took a gravity reading while I opened up the carboy to dryhop last Thursday and got a reading of 1.011. I assume it has continued to drop a little bit since then, but I cant imagine much. Im going to bottle on Wed, but is there a chance this beer will be too dry? I used WLP001 with a 1L starter. The sample tasted awesome, and I cant wait to try it but not sure why my gravity is so low compared to the target in the recipe.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #1047
boltsfan
Recipes 

Fermentation has slowed way down and I removed the blow off tube on Saturday. Getting a bubble in the airlock every few minutes.

Should I take a gravity reading in 1-2 days before I dry hop or wait the full 14 days? It has only been 9 days so far.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #1048
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5313 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan View Post
Fermentation has slowed way down and I removed the blow off tube on Saturday. Getting a bubble in the airlock every few minutes.

Should I take a gravity reading in 1-2 days before I dry hop or wait the full 14 days? It has only been 9 days so far.
I'd wait until about a week before you plan to bottle. When you add the dryhops then, you can check the SG just to make sure you're on track.

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #1049
boltsfan
Recipes 

I usually never take a gravity reading prior to bottling and have never dry hopped before. I just want to make sure fermentation before dry hopping is complete so I guess I need to take a reading.

I can dry hop tomorrow (in the primary) and then bottle next Wed. Otherwise, I have to wait and can dry hop on Sunday night and then bottle the following Sunday (this would be a 15 day ferment versus an 11 day).

Old 08-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #1050
tekknoschtev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright. Whatever I made based on this recipe was not exactly the DFH 60 clone I was expecting, however I consider what I made to be one of the best (if not the best) homebrews I've created to date. I'm 100% glad I took a "risk" on the 10 gallon batch without a 5 gallon trial first because it means I have a while before I'll need to brew again.

So. To all who have contributed to this recipe, a major thumbs up. To all who are on the fence? Get off the fence and start brewing.

Quick Reply