Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #551
Beeru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well, I didn't manage to hit the target OG. Its at 1.06 at 95f, so about 1.065. I'm not sure why, but I did notice that my mash, which started at 154, had cooled to 145 over the hour. Seems like the cooler isn't holding the temperature up, so maybe that explains it. I still think it'll be a good beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #552
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeru View Post
Well, I didn't manage to hit the target OG. Its at 1.06 at 95f, so about 1.065. I'm not sure why, but I did notice that my mash, which started at 154, had cooled to 145 over the hour. Seems like the cooler isn't holding the temperature up, so maybe that explains it. I still think it'll be a good beer.
I doubt that had anything to do with it. Maybe the mill wasn't tight enough to mill the rye sufficiently.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Beeru Likes This 
Old 01-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #553
Beeru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I doubt that had anything to do with it. Maybe the mill wasn't tight enough to mill the rye sufficiently.
Oh, that could be! I actually recall the guy at the Home Brew store talking to someone last week about having to adjust the mill for his rye, which we did not do for my grain. Never even thought about that. Oh well, whatever the cause, what's done is done. This beer is super active. It's like a vortex.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #554
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Denny, In the Zymurgy recipe it says to add gypsum to the boil and not the mash to lower PH. Is this correct? or does the rye need a higher PH?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #555
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggabrew View Post
Denny, In the Zymurgy recipe it says to add gypsum to the boil and not the mash to lower PH. Is this correct? or does the rye need a higher PH?
No, it's because with my water, the pH turns out fine with no mash additions. Since I don't want to change the mash pH, I add the gypsum to the kettle instead. I also use more gypsum these days than I used to. I target about 200-250 ppm. Somewhere in this thread, I posted my water report if you're interested.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #556
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
No, it's because with my water, the pH turns out fine with no mash additions. Since I don't want to change the mash pH, I add the gypsum to the kettle instead. I also use more gypsum these days than I used to. I target about 200-250 ppm. Somewhere in this thread, I posted my water report if you're interested.
Yeah Ive seen it but wanted to clarify. Just joined AHA so I was scrolling threw the articles and recipes. thanks

Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 AM   #557
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Started the dry hop tonight. Columbus hops sure do smell great! Beer seemed cloudy though; hopefully it will clear up a little in secondary. May cold crash to help...

Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #558
Beeru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Racked this one today, and it looks great. I overshot the sparge water (explains my low grav) so there's 5.5 gallons and a glass, which I'm just drinking as it. It's delicious.

I might make labels for this one, calling it "The Wrath of Conn"

Old 01-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #559
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Bottled 10 gallons of this last light, err this morning? I really need to start kegging...

I need a sanity check:
I thought my FG was high at 1.018 and was wondering where my problem could have been. I was suspecting it could have been because 1 of the smack-packs I bought was old. (Yes I got a discount on it!) Knowing I had one fresh and one old smack-pack, I did a starter and stepped it up once but maybe this still wasn't enough good yeast...

However, after searching this thread I'm now thinking there is no problem and I shouldn't fear 4 cases of bottle bombs? RDWAHAHB

OG = 1.073
FG = 1.018

Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #560
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorg View Post
Bottled 10 gallons of this last light, err this morning? I really need to start kegging...

I need a sanity check:
I thought my FG was high at 1.018 and was wondering where my problem could have been. I was suspecting it could have been because 1 of the smack-packs I bought was old. (Yes I got a discount on it!) Knowing I had one fresh and one old smack-pack, I did a starter and stepped it up once but maybe this still wasn't enough good yeast...

However, after searching this thread I'm now thinking there is no problem and I shouldn't fear 4 cases of bottle bombs? RDWAHAHB

OG = 1.073
FG = 1.018

Thoughts?
If it's stable at 1.018 and it's been a while since you brewed it, it's done.

www.dennybrew.com

Quick Reply