Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #421
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,253
Liked 421 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey View Post
just added the dry hop on saturday.
mine started at 1072 and finished at 1011
Pretty much perfect numbers!
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #422
NewJersey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Boonton
Posts: 293
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Pretty much perfect numbers!
that's what i wanted to hear.
im going to keg it tomorrow
__________________
NewJersey is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #423
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 416
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default


whats the recommended mash temp for this recipe, using dennys 50 yeast?

__________________
arborman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #424
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,253
Liked 421 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
whats the recommended mash temp for this recipe, using dennys 50 yeast?
153f
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #425
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 416
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
153f
Wow! Ok, thats what I will be doing..... I was thinking it would have been lower, around 149. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to brewing this over the weekend
__________________
arborman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #426
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,253
Liked 421 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by arborman View Post
Wow! Ok, thats what I will be doing..... I was thinking it would have been lower, around 149. Thanks for the reply, looking forward to brewing this over the weekend
Greg Doss at Wyeast presented a research paper that showed that maximum fermentability is obtained at 153F. While it's only a single data point, the info is compelling.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline  
13ONK Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #427
haberdasher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 94
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default


Denny,

I wanted to let you know that I brewed this Sunday night.
Here are some firsts you might like to hear (this was my second batch of beer ever):

1. First AG (ok, well BIAB, but still AG)
2. First batch to use my diy 50ft immersion chiller and pre-chiller
3. First batch to use my custom burner assy.
4. First batch to go into my diy fermentation chamber
5. Will be the first batch for me to keg

I'd say I broke in all the new equipment the right way!

I hit the recipe to a T -- used WY1450 Denny's in a 2L starter

My lhbs had everything I needed -- but a couple questions:

The Columbus was 15.2AA and the Mt. Hood was 5.4AA - I guess the different years change that slightly - will this affect the finished IBU's much?

My preboil SG was around 1.050 (not temp corrected with much accuracy)
My post-boil, post-chill, temp-corrected OG was 1.070 with only about 5.1 gallons making it to the fermenter. I settled for a little less volume to make it BIAB in my 8.8 gallon BK. The calculators I've used after the fact make it look like my Brewhouse efficiency was only around 58% ( which is about what I expected for BIAB my first time out. I kept it at 153 the whole time) Does this seem right?

I also saw that you keg hop often. I bought an extra ounce of columbus for this -- I seem to remember reading that you dry hop in primary 1oz and keg hop 1oz.

I know the debate on secondary is vigorous, but I was gonna secondary this one with 1oz and toss 1oz in the keg (in a bag?) too. Does this sound good?

Sorry for the novel.
Thanks!

__________________

On Deck: something with ridiculous amounts of rye malt
Primary: empty
Secondary/dry-hopping: Galaxy IPA
Keg 1: Nelson IPA
Keg 2: Mosaic IPA
Keg 3: Star San at the moment

haberdasher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #428
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,253
Liked 421 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdasher View Post
Denny,

I wanted to let you know that I brewed this Sunday night.
Here are some firsts you might like to hear (this was my second batch of beer ever):

1. First AG (ok, well BIAB, but still AG)
2. First batch to use my diy 50ft immersion chiller and pre-chiller
3. First batch to use my custom burner assy.
4. First batch to go into my diy fermentation chamber
5. Will be the first batch for me to keg

I'd say I broke in all the new equipment the right way!

I hit the recipe to a T -- used WY1450 Denny's in a 2L starter

My lhbs had everything I needed -- but a couple questions:

The Columbus was 15.2AA and the Mt. Hood was 5.4AA - I guess the different years change that slightly - will this affect the finished IBU's much?

My preboil SG was around 1.050 (not temp corrected with much accuracy)
My post-boil, post-chill, temp-corrected OG was 1.070 with only about 5.1 gallons making it to the fermenter. I settled for a little less volume to make it BIAB in my 8.8 gallon BK. The calculators I've used after the fact make it look like my Brewhouse efficiency was only around 58% ( which is about what I expected for BIAB my first time out. I kept it at 153 the whole time) Does this seem right?

I also saw that you keg hop often. I bought an extra ounce of columbus for this -- I seem to remember reading that you dry hop in primary 1oz and keg hop 1oz.

I know the debate on secondary is vigorous, but I was gonna secondary this one with 1oz and toss 1oz in the keg (in a bag?) too. Does this sound good?

Sorry for the novel.
Thanks!
Good on ya! I always shoot for the correct OG rather than volume. I boil until I hit OG, then add my finishing hops. This gets you the beer you want, although you may have to boil a bit more.

For hops, adjust the amount of any bittering addition based on AA. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 oz. of 5% AA hops and your are 10%, you'd use 1/2 an oz. The exceptions to that rule are FWH or additions under 5 min. when it really doesn't matter much.

I've been doing some dry hopping experiments based on a recent Zymurgy article by Stan Hieronymous, author of the Hops book. In Zymurgy, he wrote about the interaction between yeast and hops and how it could produce really floral flavors. So I split a batch and dry hopped on half in primary and the other half on secondary. I found that the batch dry hopped in secondary had a much better and more "accurate" hop aroma compared to the one dry hopped in primary. So, these days I always go to a secondary for dry hopped beers. For this one, I do both the secondary and the keg, so your plan is spot on.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #429
SuperX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Duvall
Posts: 50
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default


Denny, do you recommend adjusting the water for the boil or for the mash? I notice the gypsum is in the boil only, but I'm not sure about the other ingredients

My water is
Ca 26
Mg 35
Na 1
SO4 2.8
Cl 2.8
HCO3 27.3

Beersmith recommends for 6.75 gallons into the boil
Gypsum 10.1g
NaCl .4g
CaCl .6g
NaHCO3 .8g

For 8.4 gallons
12.6
.6
.8
1.0

Thanks!

__________________
SuperX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #430
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,253
Liked 421 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
Denny, do you recommend adjusting the water for the boil or for the mash? I notice the gypsum is in the boil only, but I'm not sure about the other ingredients

My water is
Ca 26
Mg 35
Na 1
SO4 2.8
Cl 2.8
HCO3 27.3

Beersmith recommends for 6.75 gallons into the boil
Gypsum 10.1g
NaCl .4g
CaCl .6g
NaHCO3 .8g

For 8.4 gallons
12.6
.6
.8
1.0

Thanks!
This is the profile to shoot for. I've been increasing the sulfate in the recipe and I like this...

Ca 119
Mg 7
Na 11
SO4 227
Cl 29
HCO3 52

It gets broken down like this....

Mineral Additions Mash (g) Sparge (g)
Gypsum . 7.8 4.0
Epsom Salt 0.0 0.0
Canning Salt 0.0 0.0
Baking Soda 0.0
Calcium Chloride 1.4 0.7
Chalk . 0.0
Pickling Lime 0.0
Mag Chloride 0.0 0.0
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline  
SuperX Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter DRoyLenz General Beer Discussion 315 Yesterday 07:46 PM
smile mon GranillaNutz General Chit Chat 1 04-17-2009 04:50 AM
Denny Conn's Rye IPA- no rice hulls! Yooper Recipes/Ingredients 11 04-04-2009 08:01 PM
Denny Conn's vanilla porter? GLWIII Recipes/Ingredients 15 09-17-2008 06:45 PM