Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #251
jkendal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Question for Denny... is 1450 your go-to yeast or do you just use it on specific recipes?

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #252
laserghost
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

looking forward to brewing this, and am adjusting the recipe to my equipment, but we really need to know what the end of boil volume is. "batch size" and "boil volume" is a little vague. how much kettle trub was there? what was the boil off rate? knowing the end of boil volume is essential for getting the right OG on another set of equipment.

i'm assuming batch size here of 5 gal is what was transferred to fermenter? assuming a 15% boil off rate, there would be 5.44 gal end of boil, and .44 gal of trub, transferring 5 gal to fermenter.

i'd rather not make assumptions, and want to brew this recipe as close to the original as possible. any insight?

thanks!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #253
laserghost
Recipes 

essential to getting the correct OG / IBU ratio

Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #254
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkendal View Post
Question for Denny... is 1450 your go-to yeast or do you just use it on specific recipes?
I use it for about 90% of the American styles I make. AIPA, APA, Am. brown, porters....

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #255
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserghost View Post
looking forward to brewing this, and am adjusting the recipe to my equipment, but we really need to know what the end of boil volume is. "batch size" and "boil volume" is a little vague. how much kettle trub was there? what was the boil off rate? knowing the end of boil volume is essential for getting the right OG on another set of equipment.

i'm assuming batch size here of 5 gal is what was transferred to fermenter? assuming a 15% boil off rate, there would be 5.44 gal end of boil, and .44 gal of trub, transferring 5 gal to fermenter.

i'd rather not make assumptions, and want to brew this recipe as close to the original as possible. any insight?

thanks!
I don't know which version of the recipe you're using. There's one for 5 gal. finished volume (in the fermenter) and one for 5.5. That's "batch size". Boil volume is gonna depend on your own system. Trub amounts are likewise dependent on if you use pellets or whole hops and how your system handles them. As long as you calculate things to hit 1.073 and 75 IBU you can do whatever your system requires.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #256
laserghost
Recipes 

Thanks, Denny. I'm using the recipe from this thread. What you are saying definitely makes sense, but IBU calculations vary greatly from software to software and then of course, rager and tinseth, etc.

Knowing end of boil volume and hop amounts, regardless of how many IBUs the software says would be most accurate, right?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #257
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserghost
Thanks, Denny. I'm using the recipe from this thread. What you are saying definitely makes sense, but IBU calculations vary greatly from software to software and then of course, rager and tinseth, etc.

Knowing end of boil volume and hop amounts, regardless of how many IBUs the software says would be most accurate, right?
Sounds like you need to RDWHABH and brew one to figure it out, then again for accuracy with your adjusted findings. Good luck! Don't worry so much just give it a try....

Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #258
laserghost
Recipes 

Word

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #259
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserghost View Post

I use Tinseth for my hop calcs. It seems to be the most accurate for full boils and when I've had beers analyzed for IBU they've been very close to what I calced using Tinseth in Promash.

The recipe on the very first page of this thread is accurate for 5 gal., although the stuff in bold at the top mis-estimates the OG and IBU. Just use the rest of it and remember 1.073 and 75 IBU.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #260
zach1288
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I just entered the recipe into Beersmith and it's giving me a final gravity of 1.017. Is this correct? The recipe states 1.013?

Quick Reply