Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #171
illinoisbuck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

ended up making a starter, so no worries about the yeast. what volume sparge do you end up using. sorry for all the questions but new to the all grain thing.
thanks
Buck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #172
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 544

I don't recall offhand, but here's an easy way to decide...after you runoff the mash, measure how much you have in the kettle. Subtract that from your boil volume. The answer you get is how much sparge water to use.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #173
AL73
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

i made this recipe using WLP002 and Liberty instead of Mt Hood becouse in my LHBS they where out of it, i hit an OG 1.073 and after 10 days i took a sample today and it was 1.010. I'll wait for the weekend to dry hop with Colombus for more 5 days, like the spicyness!

Al Equihua

Last edited by AL73; 01-11-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #174
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Thanks for the recipe, Denny. Brewed this Tuesday, a little skeptical about the hop choices... until I got of whiff of that first wort hop blending together with the run-off! Smelled excellent the whole hour of boiling, super-excited to try this out! We emulated this recipe every step of the way in your direction... from using your yeast to even doing our grain absorption calculations from your own webpage... every stat turned out spot-on! Cheers!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #175
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I want to brew this but would like to know if pacman or ringwood yeasts would be a good substitute?

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #176
stbnj
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am planning to brew this on Monday. I am pretty excited, I've got a nice starter going and some new gear to try out too. I've used 1450 before and really enjoy it so I look forward to see what it does in a recipe designed for it. Anyway, I have never done a mash out before and have a question. Does this take the place of the sparge water? I get the part where I strike with 6.5 gallons of water to get to 153 but then what? Do I use the amount of water I would use to sparge to raise the temp for mash out and then use those runnings to get to my preboil volume? I am using a 10 gallon beverage cooler with the stainless braid by the way. I also have beersmith on my pc and a bunch of apps on my phone to figure out what temps I need to hit. Thanks for any help!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #177
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbnj View Post
I am planning to brew this on Monday. I am pretty excited, I've got a nice starter going and some new gear to try out too. I've used 1450 before and really enjoy it so I look forward to see what it does in a recipe designed for it. Anyway, I have never done a mash out before and have a question. Does this take the place of the sparge water? I get the part where I strike with 6.5 gallons of water to get to 153 but then what? Do I use the amount of water I would use to sparge to raise the temp for mash out and then use those runnings to get to my preboil volume? I am using a 10 gallon beverage cooler with the stainless braid by the way. I also have beersmith on my pc and a bunch of apps on my phone to figure out what temps I need to hit. Thanks for any help!
Are you fly sparging or batch sparging? If you are batch sparging, you do not need to perform a mash out because you will be getting the wort up to a boil immediately after the quick sparging process and those high temps. will halt any further conversion activity.

Have fun. This beer is very tasty. I've made it twice.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #178
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native302 View Post
I want to brew this but would like to know if pacman or ringwood yeasts would be a good substitute?
Pacman is OK, but Ringwood NEVER!!!! Pacman will leave the beer a bit thin, but the taste will be fine. Ringwood will totally dickchimp the flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #179
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedash View Post
Are you fly sparging or batch sparging? If you are batch sparging, you do not need to perform a mash out because you will be getting the wort up to a boil immediately after the quick sparging process and those high temps. will halt any further conversion activity.

Have fun. This beer is very tasty. I've made it twice.
I used to do a "pseudo mash out" with this beer, but it was really just a pre mash runoff addition of water to even out the volumes of the runnings. These days I just do a thinner mash (1.6-1.75 qt./lb.) and don't bother with adding water before I run off the mash.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #180
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny

Pacman is OK, but Ringwood NEVER!!!! Pacman will leave the beer a bit thin, but the taste will be fine. Ringwood will totally dickchimp the flavor.
Roger. Thanks. Out.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Quick Reply