Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Deaf Turtle (Blind Pig clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #41
UptownMarket
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed a 5G batch of this last night.

My first full grain batch.

OG came in at 1.055 and I was shooting for 1.060. I think I might have added a little more water than I was hoping for through the mash.

I converted a 54Q coleman cooler into a mashtun and I had a lot of trouble keeping the temperature high enough. Two issues that might have been the problem... headspace and no extra insulation on the exterior.

To solve the problem I poured out of bit of the mash and heated it back up to 160% or so. After a couple rounds of that I found out that in beer smith there was a add water tool so I boiled up some of what our sparge would be to bring it up to temp.

What do you guys do to make your mashes more efficient? I think on average I was running at about 144F instead of 148F.

Last edited by UptownMarket; 04-23-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: error meant to say full grain not extract

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #42
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownMarket View Post
I brewed a 5G batch of this last night.

My first extract batch.

OG came in at 1.055 and I was shooting for 1.060. I think I might have added a little more water than I was hoping for through the mash.

I converted a 54Q coleman cooler into a mashtun and I had a lot of trouble keeping the temperature high enough. Two issues that might have been the problem... headspace and no extra insulation on the exterior.

To solve the problem I poured out of bit of the mash and heated it back up to 160% or so. After a couple rounds of that I found out that in beer smith there was a add water tool so I boiled up some of what our sparge would be to bring it up to temp.

What do you guys do to make your mashes more efficient? I think on average I was running at about 144F instead of 148F.
I'm confused, you say "My first extract" batch but then you talk about having mash difficulties.

At any rate as far as holding temps, I have a rims system that I really don't use anymore and am currently using a 5 gallon cooler and it holds the temp no problem. It is nearly full (probably 4-4.25 gallons) with 5 gallon batches.

You see to have it figured out. you could start mashing a bit thicker like 1.1/1 and then add the boiling water using beersmith to figure out how much you need later in the mash to raise it back up.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #43
UptownMarket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I'm confused, you say "My first extract" batch but then you talk about having mash difficulties.

At any rate as far as holding temps, I have a rims system that I really don't use anymore and am currently using a 5 gallon cooler and it holds the temp no problem. It is nearly full (probably 4-4.25 gallons) with 5 gallon batches.

You see to have it figured out. you could start mashing a bit thicker like 1.1/1 and then add the boiling water using beersmith to figure out how much you need later in the mash to raise it back up.
Hi human, you are right. I meant to say "my first full-grain batch".

Anyway, we re-racked the beer into secondary yesterday and are cold crashing today. The gravity came in at 1.014. I am guessing I underpitched the yeast by only adding one bag of wyeast 1056. Next time I will definitely do a yeast starter. Another note, our homebrew expert said I wasted some simcoes by dry-hopping the primary fermentation. I think the nose came out nicely though. Looking forward to kegging and drinking this on friday... should end up about 5.5% ABV I think, which will be a very nice session.

As far as kegging goes, we've got a 10lb c02 tank and we hook up to the corny keg. Can someone explain to me the best way to get the best carbonation or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #44
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownMarket View Post
Hi human, you are right. I meant to say "my first full-grain batch".

Anyway, we re-racked the beer into secondary yesterday and are cold crashing today. The gravity came in at 1.014. I am guessing I underpitched the yeast by only adding one bag of wyeast 1056. Next time I will definitely do a yeast starter. Another note, our homebrew expert said I wasted some simcoes by dry-hopping the primary fermentation. I think the nose came out nicely though. Looking forward to kegging and drinking this on friday... should end up about 5.5% ABV I think, which will be a very nice session.

As far as kegging goes, we've got a 10lb c02 tank and we hook up to the corny keg. Can someone explain to me the best way to get the best carbonation or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Yeah, I would put dry hops in after say 90% of the fermentation has happened and I don't rack to a secondary either but to each their own.

As for carbing, read up here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-...strated-73328/

and here is a good chart to know your VOL

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I have a friend that has a pressure gauge on a disconnect and uses a chart like this to make sure he is at the right co2 volume.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #45
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Brewed this again, brew day went well and hoping for a tasty beer in a couple of weeks.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #46
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Just brewed this. Smelled delicious going into the fermentor.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 PM   #47
chemman14
Recipes 

Kegged this yesterday. It smelled and tasted delicious! Very similar to blind pig, however the flavor wasnt quite as intense

Old 05-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #48
chemman14
Recipes 

Got this on tap, and it is very tasty. Might up the aroma/flavor/dry hops in the next batch for that much more of a punch. Otherwise great ipa, very close to blind pig. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #49
geeyoupee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Brewed this again, brew day went well and hoping for a tasty beer in a couple of weeks.
Any updates/adjustments to your recipe? I'm about to brew this soon

Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #50
chemman14
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeyoupee View Post
Any updates/adjustments to your recipe? I'm about to brew this soon
I brewed it per the recipie and it turned out great. Didnt have quite the aroma or flavor as blind pig so I am brewing it again this weekend and upping the 15 minute and on hops by 25%. Going to increase it 25% each time I brew it until I nail it. The bitterness and malt flavor was spot on though!

Quick Reply