Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Deaf Turtle (Blind Pig clone)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #21
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,665
Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanKenobi View Post
I just pulled my first pint of this tonight. I've never had Blind Pig, but damn this is a tasty brew. I adjusted the grain bill for my system to get 1.060 OG, and scaled the chinook addition for a 60 minute boil and and estimated 55 IBU (Tinseth). I also ended up leaving it on dry hops for 16 days and the aroma is out of this world. Thanks for the post, I will definitely be brewing this again.
Thanks, sounds like it came out pretty darn good!
__________________
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,
humann_brewing is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #22
Chamuco
Beer Bender
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chamuco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Rafael
Posts: 388
Liked 160 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default


Thanks humann, I brewed this on 1/28 and kegged on 2/11. I'm drinking it as I type this and....wow! It looks and tastes spot-on!

deaf-pig2.jpg  
__________________
Chamuco is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,665
Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamuco View Post
Thanks humann, I brewed this on 1/28 and kegged on 2/11. I'm drinking it as I type this and....wow! It looks and tastes spot-on!
Very nice! thanks for posting
__________________
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,
humann_brewing is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #24
skandyman88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rohnert Park
Posts: 10
Default


noob question.. what do you mean by 2000 yeast starter?

__________________
skandyman88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #25
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,574
Liked 174 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default


Basically a 2L starter.

__________________
RAINYDAY BREWING AND WINERY Southeast Portland, OR - EST 2010
Primary Straight lambic - Nelson Sauvin honey Blonde
Kegged NZ/USA IPA - Mosaic Honey Wheat
Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20
Rivenin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #26
Chamuco
Beer Bender
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chamuco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Rafael
Posts: 388
Liked 160 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Default


Again, thanks for the recipe humann!

I entered this one in my first AHA qualifying comp. (14b American IPA) and thought I'd share.

I made it into the finals, no ribbon though and with over 70 IPA entries, I was happy to get that far and receive feedback from the judges.

This beer scored:
-3/3 with all judges for Appearance
-4/5 for three judges and 5/5 for one judge on Mouthfeel
-7/12 average for Aroma
-14/20 average for Flavor
-7/10 average for Overall Impression

Some noted a slight paper taste and suspected oxidation. I am wondering if this was from bottling from the keg??? The more I think about it, I sure of it because they sat for two weeks in the bottles before being judged. I was careful, but did it with a picnic tap and wand. hummmm???If they only could have pulled a pint from my keg I bet I'd had a ribbon.

Here are some comments:

"Clear copper -nice, good retention"
"more of a high-alcohol pale ale that an IPA"
"well balanced hop/malt bill"
"more late hopping suggested"
"nice all around palate taste, hoppy forefront drops to malt after. nice abv."
"highly drinkable but a bit old based on the aroma"
"less hops mid boil and more at the beginning"
"looking for more pungent American hops in the dry hop"

From a BJCP Grand Master II : "Some paper, earthy (moderate) with some beadings and biscuit aroma. no dms. a touch of alcohol. Too mild, overall for the style".

__________________

Beer, beer, good for the heart.

Chamuco is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #27
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,665
Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamuco View Post
Again, thanks for the recipe humann!

I entered this one in my first AHA qualifying comp. (14b American IPA) and thought I'd share.

I made it into the finals, no ribbon though and with over 70 IPA entries, I was happy to get that far and receive feedback from the judges.

This beer scored:
-3/3 with all judges for Appearance
-4/5 for three judges and 5/5 for one judge on Mouthfeel
-7/12 average for Aroma
-14/20 average for Flavor
-7/10 average for Overall Impression

Some noted a slight paper taste and suspected oxidation. I am wondering if this was from bottling from the keg??? The more I think about it, I sure of it because they sat for two weeks in the bottles before being judged. I was careful, but did it with a picnic tap and wand. hummmm???If they only could have pulled a pint from my keg I bet I'd had a ribbon.

Here are some comments:

"Clear copper -nice, good retention"
"more of a high-alcohol pale ale that an IPA"
"well balanced hop/malt bill"
"more late hopping suggested"
"nice all around palate taste, hoppy forefront drops to malt after. nice abv."
"highly drinkable but a bit old based on the aroma"
"less hops mid boil and more at the beginning"
"looking for more pungent American hops in the dry hop"

From a BJCP Grand Master II : "Some paper, earthy (moderate) with some beadings and biscuit aroma. no dms. a touch of alcohol. Too mild, overall for the style".
Very nice, this sounds pretty typically, I mean this is a very nice, tasty IPA, but not over the top, this is a good almost session IPA if you actually brew it to 1.060 gravity.
__________________
humann_brewing is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
Slowfro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 430
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


I'm glad I found this thread! I was at RR back in June and actually liked Blind Pig more than Pliney. (OK, you may all ridicule me now, but everyone has their own taste). I just went to the LHBS to get everything for a 10gallon batch. The only thing is they didn't have Amarillo Gold, so I'm just going with more Centennial. I might have some Amarillo at home but I'm not sure. Either way I'm pretty excited about it.

__________________

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Slowfro is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #29
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,665
Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowfro View Post
I'm glad I found this thread! I was at RR back in June and actually liked Blind Pig more than Pliney. (OK, you may all ridicule me now, but everyone has their own taste). I just went to the LHBS to get everything for a 10gallon batch. The only thing is they didn't have Amarillo Gold, so I'm just going with more Centennial. I might have some Amarillo at home but I'm not sure. Either way I'm pretty excited about it.
you could probably sub cascade too, or just mix cascade/centennial to muttle up the mixture and blur the substitute with 2 hops that are kinda close.
__________________
humann_brewing is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: the sun
Posts: 15,665
Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowfro View Post
I'm glad I found this thread! I was at RR back in June and actually liked Blind Pig more than Pliney. (OK, you may all ridicule me now, but everyone has their own taste). I just went to the LHBS to get everything for a 10gallon batch. The only thing is they didn't have Amarillo Gold, so I'm just going with more Centennial. I might have some Amarillo at home but I'm not sure. Either way I'm pretty excited about it.
Did you end up brewing this SlowFro? How did it turn out?
__________________
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,
humann_brewing is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Terrapin Rye Clone) Beerrific American Ale 21 12-30-2013 10:09 PM
Blind Pig IPA clone Ryno Recipes/Ingredients 1 11-12-2009 04:40 PM
Help with my Blind Pig Clone gonzo brewer Recipes/Ingredients 1 12-30-2008 06:06 AM
Carnivorous plants/turtle cheezydemon General Chit Chat 13 03-15-2008 02:29 AM