American IPA Deaf Turtle (Blind Pig clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a 5G batch of this last night.

My first full grain batch.

OG came in at 1.055 and I was shooting for 1.060. I think I might have added a little more water than I was hoping for through the mash.

I converted a 54Q coleman cooler into a mashtun and I had a lot of trouble keeping the temperature high enough. Two issues that might have been the problem... headspace and no extra insulation on the exterior.

To solve the problem I poured out of bit of the mash and heated it back up to 160% or so. After a couple rounds of that I found out that in beer smith there was a add water tool so I boiled up some of what our sparge would be to bring it up to temp.

What do you guys do to make your mashes more efficient? I think on average I was running at about 144F instead of 148F.

I brewed a 5G batch of this last night.

My first extract batch.

OG came in at 1.055 and I was shooting for 1.060. I think I might have added a little more water than I was hoping for through the mash.

I converted a 54Q coleman cooler into a mashtun and I had a lot of trouble keeping the temperature high enough. Two issues that might have been the problem... headspace and no extra insulation on the exterior.

To solve the problem I poured out of bit of the mash and heated it back up to 160% or so. After a couple rounds of that I found out that in beer smith there was a add water tool so I boiled up some of what our sparge would be to bring it up to temp.

What do you guys do to make your mashes more efficient? I think on average I was running at about 144F instead of 148F.

I'm confused, you say "My first extract" batch but then you talk about having mash difficulties.

At any rate as far as holding temps, I have a rims system that I really don't use anymore and am currently using a 5 gallon cooler and it holds the temp no problem. It is nearly full (probably 4-4.25 gallons) with 5 gallon batches.

You see to have it figured out. you could start mashing a bit thicker like 1.1/1 and then add the boiling water using beersmith to figure out how much you need later in the mash to raise it back up.

I'm confused, you say "My first extract" batch but then you talk about having mash difficulties.

At any rate as far as holding temps, I have a rims system that I really don't use anymore and am currently using a 5 gallon cooler and it holds the temp no problem. It is nearly full (probably 4-4.25 gallons) with 5 gallon batches.

You see to have it figured out. you could start mashing a bit thicker like 1.1/1 and then add the boiling water using beersmith to figure out how much you need later in the mash to raise it back up.

Hi human, you are right. I meant to say "my first full-grain batch".

Anyway, we re-racked the beer into secondary yesterday and are cold crashing today. The gravity came in at 1.014. I am guessing I underpitched the yeast by only adding one bag of wyeast 1056. Next time I will definitely do a yeast starter. Another note, our homebrew expert said I wasted some simcoes by dry-hopping the primary fermentation. I think the nose came out nicely though. Looking forward to kegging and drinking this on friday... should end up about 5.5% ABV I think, which will be a very nice session.

As far as kegging goes, we've got a 10lb c02 tank and we hook up to the corny keg. Can someone explain to me the best way to get the best carbonation or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Hi human, you are right. I meant to say "my first full-grain batch".

Anyway, we re-racked the beer into secondary yesterday and are cold crashing today. The gravity came in at 1.014. I am guessing I underpitched the yeast by only adding one bag of wyeast 1056. Next time I will definitely do a yeast starter. Another note, our homebrew expert said I wasted some simcoes by dry-hopping the primary fermentation. I think the nose came out nicely though. Looking forward to kegging and drinking this on friday... should end up about 5.5% ABV I think, which will be a very nice session.

As far as kegging goes, we've got a 10lb c02 tank and we hook up to the corny keg. Can someone explain to me the best way to get the best carbonation or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Yeah, I would put dry hops in after say 90% of the fermentation has happened and I don't rack to a secondary either but to each their own.

As for carbing, read up here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

and here is a good chart to know your VOL

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I have a friend that has a pressure gauge on a disconnect and uses a chart like this to make sure he is at the right co2 volume.

Kegged this yesterday. It smelled and tasted delicious! Very similar to blind pig, however the flavor wasnt quite as intense

Got this on tap, and it is very tasty. Might up the aroma/flavor/dry hops in the next batch for that much more of a punch. Otherwise great ipa, very close to blind pig. Thanks for the recipe!

Any updates/adjustments to your recipe? I'm about to brew this soon

I brewed it per the recipie and it turned out great. Didnt have quite the aroma or flavor as blind pig so I am brewing it again this weekend and upping the 15 minute and on hops by 25%. Going to increase it 25% each time I brew it until I nail it. The bitterness and malt flavor was spot on though!

I brewed it per the recipie and it turned out great. Didnt have quite the aroma or flavor as blind pig so I am brewing it again this weekend and upping the 15 minute and on hops by 25%. Going to increase it 25% each time I brew it until I nail it. The bitterness and malt flavor was spot on though!

I only see Cascade for the 15 minute addition. So you are going to bump it by .25 oz of cascsde?

Or did you mean all additions 15 minutes and after?

Thanks for the tip

Any updates/adjustments to your recipe? I'm about to brew this soon

As a couple of others have noted, I think RR has changed their recipe to give it more of a flavor/aroma punch. I would up the flameout addition, doubling or even tripling the amounts which isn't much considering todays IPAs, 1.5oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe, make sure to whirlpool.

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out.

With new techniques in whirlpooling, I would probably skip all mid boil additions in favor of flameout/post-flameout additions and add more quantity.

I am glad to see people having success with this!

Going to brew a batch this weekend. May go with a different yeast. I'll keep you posted.

I even have a few bottles of the pig to compare to.

As a couple of others have noted, I think RR has changed their recipe to give it more of a flavor/aroma punch. I would up the flameout addition, doubling or even tripling the amounts which isn't much considering todays IPAs, 1.5oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe, make sure to whirlpool.

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out.

With new techniques in whirlpooling, I would probably skip all mid boil additions in favor of flameout/post-flameout additions and add more quantity.

I am glad to see people having success with this!
Definite success! With your post, I am going to up the 15 minute and on additions 50%. I dont want this thing to turn into a hop bomb as I love the balance of flavors in the commercial blind pig. If I can nail a clone I will be in heaven. I love this beer so much but they refuse to brew enough of it. My friend was up in Santa Rosa this weekend and they were out of it at the pub :( I wanted my 6 bottles!!!

I definitely wont mind drinking the "test batches" The one I brewed per your recipe tasted delicious! One of the best IPA's I have made for sure but it wasnt QUITE blind pig. Thanks again for this great recipe man!

Definite success! With your post, I am going to up the 15 minute and on additions 50%. I dont want this thing to turn into a hop bomb as I love the balance of flavors in the commercial blind pig. If I can nail a clone I will be in heaven. I love this beer so much but they refuse to brew enough of it. My friend was up in Santa Rosa this weekend and they were out of it at the pub :( I wanted my 6 bottles!!!

I definitely wont mind drinking the "test batches" The one I brewed per your recipe tasted delicious! One of the best IPA's I have made for sure but it wasnt QUITE blind pig. Thanks again for this great recipe man!

no problem, glad it is working well.

Just brewed this recipe again for I believe the 5th time. I love it! I have increased the 15 minute and on hops by 50% but otherwise left it just how it is. It is SO GOOD. Really amazing fresh, it starts to fade after 6-8 weeks from brew day.

Just brewed this recipe again for I believe the 5th time. I love it! I have increased the 15 minute and on hops by 50% but otherwise left it just how it is. It is SO GOOD. Really amazing fresh, it starts to fade after 6-8 weeks from brew day.

very nice! glad to hear and yes upping the hops on this recipe would be a good idea to compare to current IPAs out there.

very nice! glad to hear and yes upping the hops on this recipe would be a good idea to compare to current IPAs out there.

Just wanted to say thanks again for this great recipe! I have been brewing it about once a month and the keg always blows in less than two weeks (Average for other kegs is 5-6 weeks)
I also entered it in a local competition and it got second out of 27 ipas! My first time ever placing at a comp. I entered it in the NHC so hopefully it can place there as well.

Just wanted to say thanks again for this great recipe! I have been brewing it about once a month and the keg always blows in less than two weeks (Average for other kegs is 5-6 weeks)
I also entered it in a local competition and it got second out of 27 ipas! My first time ever placing at a comp. I entered it in the NHC so hopefully it can place there as well.

that's awesome, congratulations!

:mug:

Back