Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   India Pale Ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/)
-   -   Deaf Turtle (Blind Pig clone) (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/deaf-turtle-blind-pig-clone-156388/)

humann_brewing 01-11-2010 03:53 PM

Deaf Turtle (Blind Pig clone)
 
I made this beer and another APA out of the same mash, I based the grain bill on this beer though. Because of this, my efficiency went off the charts and I over shot the OG by 6 points and had a extra 2 gallons to go with it but I certainly like the results.

Vinny at Russian River use to brew the Blind Pig IPA when he worked at the Blind Pig brewery in San Diego. He has changed the recipe a bit to incorporate Simcoe and Amarillo hops and man is it good.

The grain bill I used was

88% 2-row
5% Cara-pils
3.5% C40
3.5% Wheat Malt

Here is the recipe based on 75% efficiency
Also, Russian River lists the OG at 1.060 so you could shoot for that to be closer to the real thing, I like this as is.


Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.20 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.51 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.14 %
0.66 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.08 %
0.44 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.44 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.75 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (90 min) Hops 61.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)


Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.06 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.32 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

IPA4ME 01-13-2010 11:09 PM

Recipe looks good! How does it look/taste/smell? Any pics?

How does it compare to Blind Pig?

I recently brewed an IPA with a different but similar grain bill. The hop bill was all Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo.

It's in the primary right now and already smells great. I am planning to dry hop it this weekend too. I can't wait to taste it.

humann_brewing 01-14-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPA4ME (Post 1807730)
Recipe looks good! How does it look/taste/smell? Any pics?

How does it compare to Blind Pig?

I recently brewed an IPA with a different but similar grain bill. The hop bill was all Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo.

It's in the primary right now and already smells great. I am planning to dry hop it this weekend too. I can't wait to taste it.

This is my best bitter to date (APA, IPA and IIPAs included). Let's just put it this way, When I took the frist sip, I thought to myself, I will be making another batch of this ;)

The smell is amazing and the taste is even better.

I don't have a Blind Pig now and they don't sell them in my city even though I am 4 hours from Russian River :mad: but from my memory, it is pretty darn close, but like I said, my gravity is a few points higher, on the other hand, I knew this going into the boil and adjusted the hops to account for the higher gravity.

IPA4ME 01-14-2010 05:10 PM

No Blind Pig in Central Cali? That sucks! There is plenty of it here in So Cal...

Well, that's the beauty of brewing your own, if you can get it locally, you can always try to clone it.

Glad to hear your brew came out great.

Brewinator 02-12-2010 04:27 AM

The irony is that they are distributed by Stone, which is based in San Diego, so living close to RR is actually a disadvantage. :o

But do yourself a favor and try their standard IPA, only on tap, doesn't really have a name. Yummy and you can pound that stuff.


Quote:

Originally Posted by IPA4ME (Post 1809543)
No Blind Pig in Central Cali? That sucks! There is plenty of it here in So Cal...

Well, that's the beauty of brewing your own, if you can get it locally, you can always try to clone it.

Glad to hear your brew came out great.


humann_brewing 02-12-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewinator (Post 1878521)
The irony is that they are distributed by Stone, which is based in San Diego, so living close to RR is actually a disadvantage. :o

But do yourself a favor and try their standard IPA, only on tap, doesn't really have a name. Yummy and you can pound that stuff.

I have had their standard ipa too, mighty tasty for sure. This beer is my favorite homebrew so far. I had a friend text me today to say he had been thinking about my blind pig clone all day because he loved it and he only drinks ipas and iipas. Put a tear in my eye ;)

southpawbrew 02-21-2010 05:19 PM

What did your FG gravity end up being? My efficiency was a little low for some reason on this brew and I got a lower OG (OG 1.052). After just a week in the primary I took a gravity reading and it's already at 1.019. I'm a little worried that it is going to finish to low and not have enough maltiness for the large amount of IBU's.

I'm thinking I should rack now to the secondary and dry hop for the next 10 days and then rack to my keg. Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Also did you use gelatin on this brew? Thanks for the recipe. Gravity reading tasted great nice hops aroma and bitterness really looking forward to this one.

EDIT: Took another reading and it was down to 1.010 racked it, dry hopped it and hopefully it won't finish to low.

humann_brewing 02-23-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpawbrew (Post 1898476)
What did your FG gravity end up being? My efficiency was a little low for some reason on this brew and I got a lower OG (OG 1.052). After just a week in the primary I took a gravity reading and it's already at 1.019. I'm a little worried that it is going to finish to low and not have enough maltiness for the large amount of IBU's.

I'm thinking I should rack now to the secondary and dry hop for the next 10 days and then rack to my keg. Any thoughts and advice would be great.

Also did you use gelatin on this brew? Thanks for the recipe. Gravity reading tasted great nice hops aroma and bitterness really looking forward to this one.

EDIT: Took another reading and it was down to 1.010 racked it, dry hopped it and hopefully it won't finish to low.

oh no, 1.052? It sounds like you might have a really hoppy pale ale there. Mine went from 1.066 to 1.012, this was an overshoot on the gravity as I was shooting for 1.060 but it turned out mighty tasty.

alcibiades 02-23-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humann_brewing (Post 1878567)
I have had their standard ipa too, mighty tasty for sure. This beer is my favorite homebrew so far. I had a friend text me today to say he had been thinking about my blind pig clone all day because he loved it and he only drinks ipas and iipas. Put a tear in my eye ;)


beer is like movies, the good ones stay with you and bounce around in your head for a few days after.

humann_brewing 02-25-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcibiades (Post 1902979)
beer is like movies, the good ones stay with you and bounce around in your head for a few days after.

exactly but just like movies, I forget what happens given enough time so I need another taste :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.