Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Citralaxy DIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
cmybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Another way to check thermometers is to put a bunch of ice in some water and then stick it in there after a few minutes. It should be right around 32*.

I'd say don't concede and toss it just yet. There are ways you can attempt to fix this. I've read that this French Saison yeast is good for stuck fermentations because it has a crazy high attenuation. A starter of that at high krausen might be worth a shot.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststr...ail.cfm?ID=199

There is also Amylase Enzyme (Beano) that I've heard can break down the complex sugars into more fermentatble ones.

Word of warning: I have never had to try either of these methods but from lurking on forums for a while I've read of each of these being successful in the past. I think your right in the fact that you should not add your dry hops if its really really stuck. No need to waste them but it's worth a shot to get it going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a starter going of some washed us-05 and have added a small amount of amylase to the starter. Once it gets to full krausen I am going to pitch it and see what happens. If it actually goes down, I picked up 2oz. of centennial and will use that for dryhop. The citra, galaxy and simcoe will be used in a new batch.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
autiger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, after two weeks the Amylase has just kept going, I dryhopped with centennial and have cold crashed it in the fridge for the last 24 hrs. I just took a hydrometer reading and it was at 1.020, but to compare I took some water that was in the fridge and that was reading 1.006. If that's the case then really the beer is at 1.014 and now at about 10.1% ABV. It was definitely bitter, but not bad. I'm just afraid of bottling in the next few days. I'm thinking I am going to rack it to my bottling bucket and keep it in the fridge for a day or two and then add the sugar to carb it. I will leave extra headspace in the bottles in hopes that I don't get too many bottle bombs and will check them twice daily and after the first week I will open one and determine if I need to open them all and relieve some pressure. This DIPA turned into a Triple IPA. I did use the last 1oz of Simcoe and a few ounces of the citra and galaxy in a new batch on the 4th and that will be DH on the 14th with 2oz of Citra and 1oz. of Galaxy.

Quick Reply