Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Cimmerian Ale IIPA (1st Place Chicago Cup)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
torso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Great so to win a competition in this style you have to spend $75 on hops for a 5 gal. batch. That's encouraging. But I do have a question, you noted that one should ferment for ten days and then go to secondary just when yeast starts to drop. Could you clarify this? Also, how long did you secondary for and how long were the hops there for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
Randy_Bugger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Needs more hops.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #13
oldstyle69
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by torso View Post
Great so to win a competition in this style you have to spend $75 on hops for a 5 gal. batch. That's encouraging. But I do have a question, you noted that one should ferment for ten days and then go to secondary just when yeast starts to drop. Could you clarify this? Also, how long did you secondary for and how long were the hops there for?
its more like 40$ in hops if you were to buy at retail price. when i read "when the yeast drops" makes me think that hes waiting for active fermentation to stop, the term yeast drops tho would could also be used if you were to cold crash your beer befor bottling. i brewed one real similar to this, lots of citra and simcoe, messed up my sparge water, by not having enough, so i only ended up with 4.5 gal to keg. and i also used alot of honey and honey malt. super effin good.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torso View Post
Yes, I mean when active fermentation begins to slow down and the yeast starts to settle out. Secondary 5-7 days on the dry hops. I'm starting to like my beers more when the dry hops have a shorter contact time with the beer.

Hailstorm Brewing Co
www.facebook.com/hailstormbrewingco

Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #15
PintoBean
Hailstorm Brewing Co
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tapped the commercially brewed version of this at Rock Bottom last night, it came out great!

Hailstorm Brewing Co
www.facebook.com/hailstormbrewingco

Quick Reply