Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Cascadian Darkness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
KayaBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by morticus View Post
How did your version turn out?
It's still in the bucket (one more week to bottle). In retrospect, a pound of crystal doesn't seem too excessive as long as it's balanced out with the hops.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew

It's still in the bucket (one more week to bottle). In retrospect, a pound of crystal doesn't seem too excessive as long as it's balanced out with the hops.
Are you going to dry hop it? Im thinking I might brew this one. I love CDA's, and it's one style I haven't brewed yet.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I think so. I have some Cascades and Willamettes to play with. Thanks for reminding me!

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
Orangetones
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Brewed This The Other Day

Hey there folks. I brewed this up on Feb 9 and am eagerly awaiting the results! It is bubbling away as I write this.

I brewed the extract version. The OG was 1.054 using 7.93lbs of light LME (Munton's).

I will keep you informed of the progress if you are interested. This is only my second beer that I have brewed. I am looking forward to it from reading the posts here and what I know of this style.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #25
Orangetones
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Checking in...

The gravity is at 1.014 after 5 days. Some pretty vigourous yeast it seems... racking to a secondary as I type. Will let it sit there for a week or two before bottling. It smells great!

Edit: Drinking the wort I tested for gravity and man, is this good. Should be really nice cooled and carbonated! I can't wait. This one is a keeper for me so far!

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
billslaw1024
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Brewed this up yesterday. Used mosaic hops in place of the amarillos. OG was 1.063. Right at 5 gallons into the fermenter. Did a 90 minute mash because my temp was about 148. Cooled it down to 68 and pitched US-05. It isn't bubbling yet, but I'm sure it will be by tonight. I'm going to dry hop with an oz of mosaic too. Looking forward to this one. I did a brewer's best black IPA kit when I first started brewing and it was fantastic. I think I'm going to do another batch of this in a few weeks and use S-04 to ferment.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
Orangetones
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Bottled... Can't wait...

Bottles this yesterday. Can't wait to try one in a few weeks. Smells and tasted great when I bottled it. Final gravity was at 1.014.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #28
splakeshaker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bottled this today. I subbed mosaic for the Amarillo because the LHBS was out. Otherwise follow the recipe. Hydrometer sample was tasty. Needs a few week to balance out. Solid BIPA recipe.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #29
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Time an update. My 10 gallon batch half bottled and half kegged turned out fan-fn-tastic. Definately on the top 3 list of best ever brews. Obviously brewing it again soon.
Flavor was a lil heavy on the roasty side I thought, but I was alone in that opinion. I've made a mad effort to share this beer with as many snobby ass CDA judges & followers and everyone seem to agree its a spot on example of the style. I will be entering this beer in an upcoming competition.
Appearance was nearly jet black, but against light more of a super deep
Mahogany. Nice fat, tan rocky head descends to the last sip.
Aroma is tropical, coffee and herbal. Deep caramel & dark chocolate.
Mouthfeel is full and smooth. Warms up nice and more of the sweetness makes an appearance.

10 gal batch

20# 2-row 1oz Magnum-FWH
1.5#Carafa II. :Centennial
2#chocolate wheat :Cascade
1.5#Special B :Belma
2# Crystal 60. :Nugget
1oz EACH Hop Mix:
(60min continual hopping)

Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #30
billslaw1024
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Updating: I've had two people tell me this is the best beer I have ever brewed. They are probably right. This is a fantastic recipe. Haven't brewed a batch with S-04 yet, but I'll update when I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billslaw1024 View Post
Brewed this up yesterday. Used mosaic hops in place of the amarillos. OG was 1.063. Right at 5 gallons into the fermenter. Did a 90 minute mash because my temp was about 148. Cooled it down to 68 and pitched US-05. It isn't bubbling yet, but I'm sure it will be by tonight. I'm going to dry hop with an oz of mosaic too. Looking forward to this one. I did a brewer's best black IPA kit when I first started brewing and it was fantastic. I think I'm going to do another batch of this in a few weeks and use S-04 to ferment.

Quick Reply