Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #61
Dannost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed this as my second all grain batch. I found out later that my thermometer was reading low so I mashed pretty high and final gravity was high. Still this was probably the best beer I have brewed. I substituted simcoe for the first hops and used centennial and cascade for the rest.

Just kegged a second batch with a little lower gravity and again it is great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #62
fatguy-littlecoat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

brewing this right now. im excited i love the munchers recipes.. hes got me addicted to honey malt. ;D

Old 02-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #63
Dannost
Recipes 

2nd batch just got carbed up. Perfect. Still the same great flavor but just a bit drier than the 1st batch. FG was 1.023 which left me with nice maltiness and just enough sweetness to balance all the hops. This will be a beer I have to keep on tap at all times.
Now I need to brew something for the masses, so I'm going to give BierMunchers "Centenniel blonde" a try this weekend.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #64
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In this thread - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/push...its-ipa-76424/ - BierMuncher posted that he mashed at 154, not 159. Maybe that's the reason some have reported overly sweet / stuck fermentations.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #65
beeboy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboy View Post
actually looking back at my notes, it was at 1.032 the first time I checked. A week later after warming it up and stirring it was at 1.030. This past weekend it is at 1.028.

I'm not going to AE it, I need to get my primary and secondaries freed up. The samples taste good, I don't mind it being a bit sweet.

If I rebrew it, I will drop the mash temp some. Interestingly enough, when I put the recipe in beersmith, I get the same numbers that BM shows in the first post of the thread. Changing the mash temp in beersmith does not change the FG calculation, unless I am doing it wrong. I figure the higher mash temp are the reasons its not fermenting down.
Another week, another 2 point drop. 1.026. It's cold crashing now and ready to keg. I can't wait any longer for it drop further.

The mash temp makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #66
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf143 View Post
In this thread - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/push...its-ipa-76424/ - BierMuncher posted that he mashed at 154, not 159. Maybe that's the reason some have reported overly sweet / stuck fermentations.
Agree 100%. I think it is rather clear the 159F/45min mash directions in the first post of this thread are causing low attenuation issues. I dumped my original batch and re-brewed mashing at 154F/60min. Came out great...finished at 1.017.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #67
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

I went back and checked my notes. I did end up at 159 on this mash. More than likely my higher attenuation was caused by pitching on that huge slurry of '04 from a just racked prior batch.

I'd suggest everyone goes ahead and sticks with their normal mash temp/rest protocol. Don't want to see anymore dumped batches. This is too good a beer.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #68
beeboy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

well, it's now carb'd and drinkable. It's quite tasty, even I did finish a bit high on FG. It has great color, and retains the maltliness BM promised
I do not notice it being overly sweet.
Yeah, this one won't stick around long.

So my 2nd BM brew is good. The Blonde was my first. Plus the beergun. I think I need his autograph.

I still want to do the TU IIPA and the porter. Good stuff BM, thank you!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #69
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I went back and checked my notes. I did end up at 159 on this mash. More than likely my higher attenuation was caused by pitching on that huge slurry of '04 from a just racked prior batch.
That's what I was thinking when I went back and looked at the recipe. I had just used one packet of re-hydrated S-05.

I would also re-iterate that my 2nd version mashed at 154F/60min turned out great and is one of the best IPA's I've ever made.

Cheers!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #70
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Grain bill and hops shipped out today. Hoping to brew this next week!

Quick Reply