Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #41
MeanGreen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This yeast talk has me considering notty to make sure I get his gravity where it needs to be

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #42
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen View Post
This yeast talk has me considering notty to make sure I get his gravity where it needs to be
Well, since the OP doesn't seem to check in on this thread anymore, I'll offer advice based on my experience with this recipe.

If I were you I'd mash at a lower temp for a longer time, say 155F for 60min. For me, it seems that the 159F/45 min mash schedule resulted in a dextrinous wort that will not go below 1.026. The attenuation of Notty is comparable WLP001.

I pitched a HUGE healthy starter of WLP001, kept steady upper 60's temps, and it went gangbusters for 2 days before completely crapping out. I re-pitched on a massive yeast cake from another brew that I had just racked, and.....nothing. I'm simply out of fermentables on this one.

I'm bummed, b/c this seemed like a great recipe, but you're taking your chances mashing that high for only 45 min with the amount of honey/crystal malt called for. My samples have been syrupy and cloying sweet. Might be my first dumped batch.

As always, YMMV.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #43
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Well, since the OP doesn't seem to check in on this thread anymore, I'll offer advice based on my experience with this recipe.

If I were you I'd mash at a lower temp for a longer time, say 155F for 60min. For me, it seems that the 159F/45 min mash schedule resulted in a dextrinous wort that will not go below 1.026. The attenuation of Notty is comparable WLP001.
I agree. Wait!!! What???

Let me see...what did the OP say he was trying to accomplish with this "Outer Limits" IPA?

Oh yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I wanted to come up with a nice malty, hop-flavorful IPA that pushed the upper limits of a Category-14 (American IPA) beer. The outside range for the OG is 1.075 and the IBU’s at 60. Normally for me, a 60-IBU beer would be a bit too bitter. I knew I’d have to get to one more upper limit with this beer, and that was to attenuate to the high side of about 1.018 finished gravity. With a higher finishing gravity, the malt character would hold its own against the higher IBU’s. This was going to need a high mash (159) and a short rest (45 minutes) to give me the higher FG.
This beer remains one of my personal favorites and based upon the comments of others including those in the original post...I'd say it's lives up to it's name of "Outer Limits".

Now...I'm off to ignore some of my other threads.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #44
g-star
Recipes 

Quote:
This beer remains one of my personal favorites and based upon the comments of others including those in the original post...I'd say it's lives up to it's name of "Outer Limits".

I'm sure it can be a fine brew and I understand the concept you were going for. I'm just commenting on what happened to me when I attempted to follow it as written, and what I'd do differently if I tried again.

I believe I used sound technique and checked my mash temps with two different thermometers, but ended up with a semi-unfermentable wort anyway. I was hoping you might be able to offer some pointers or constructive advice based on your considerable experience. Please don't take any offense, none intended.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #45
MeanGreen
Recipes 

Quote:
I agree. Wait!!! What???

Let me see...what did the OP say he was trying to accomplish with this "Outer Limits" IPA?

Oh yeah...

BM

Thanks. I am going to go with your recipe as written tonight and hope for the best. It appears to have worked for most everyone and I've had great success with many of your past ones.

My only subs are on 1 or 2 hops but maintaining the IBU ratio

Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #46
g-star
Recipes 

Quote:
BM

Thanks. I am going to go with your recipe as written tonight and hope for the best. It appears to have worked for most everyone and I've had great success with many of your past ones.

My only subs are on 1 or 2 hops but maintaining the IBU ratio
Please share your experience if you decide to mash at 159F for 45min. I'm still trying to figure out where this brew went wrong for me.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #47
MeanGreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Please share your experience if you decide to mash at 159F for 45min. I'm still trying to figure out where this brew went wrong for me.
Well just cleaned up.

I ended up with a hit on the efficiency. Hit 1.070.

I mashed at 158 for 45 min.

so far it looks to be ok, but we'll see what the SA-04 holds

Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #48
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Please don't take any offense, none intended.
You know I was just joshing with ya.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 AM   #49
MeanGreen
Recipes 

Well nearly a week later. Took a gravity reading and I'm at 1.030. Its been at about 66-68 so moving it up to 70 to hopefully finish it down.

BM does this sound like its headed the right way?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #50
g-star
Recipes 

Quote:
Well nearly a week later. Took a gravity reading and I'm at 1.030. Its been at about 66-68 so moving it up to 70 to hopefully finish it down.

BM does this sound like its headed the right way?
I was at 1.026 after a week at 69F, and it didn't move after that. I tried rousing the yeast and also pitching onto a yeast cake from another brew and letting it go for 2 more weeks.

Still at 1.026.

Quick Reply