Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #101
brewsme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks - I will give that a try next time around!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #102
Kurisu
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
  • Gelatin in the secondary after dry hopping for about 3-4 days.
  • Cold crashing in the keg for about 2-3 weeks.
  • Make sure the diptubes in your kegs are not resting on the bottom surface of your keg. I usually bend mine a bit sharper to get them up from the bottom a bit, or cut the tubes that are straight.
Is it okay to keep the dip tubes the normal length, and just throw out the first few pints?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #103
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Of course!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #104
thrust
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Hi folks, brewed this excellent recipe a week ago today! Due to my in-attentiveness, I ended up with 6 gallons at 1.070 OG. After seven days at 64* I'm only at 1.030. I pitched two packs of S-04. Should I increase fermentation temps to 70* or add some amylase enzyme? I was hoping to use the yeast cake from this brew for a Double Bastard clone I'll be brewing next weekend. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and for the wonderful recipe!!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #105
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrust View Post
Hi folks, brewed this excellent recipe a week ago today! Due to my in-attentiveness, I ended up with 6 gallons at 1.070 OG. After seven days at 64* I'm only at 1.030. I pitched two packs of S-04. Should I increase fermentation temps to 70* or add some amylase enzyme?!
What was your mash temp? I had problems with a stuck fermentation when following the OP and mashing at 159F for 45min.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #106
thrust
Recipes 

Same as OP--159* for 45 mins. I had a vigorous fermentation for 4 days (needed a blow off tube) and visible airlock activity for 6 days. I'm surprised yesterday's gravity reading didn't reveal more. At any rate, further suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #107
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'd say you're having the same problem I did...a very dextrinous (unfermentable) wort. Ar this point, more sach yeast isn't going to help. You can add amylase enzyme, but that is unpredictable. You can brew another similar dry beer and blend the two. Or you can just drink your very sweet and full-bodied IPA that you have now.

FWIW, I dumped and re-brewed, mashing at 152F for 60min. Came out nice.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #108
thrust
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
I'd say you're having the same problem I did...a very dextrinous (unfermentable) wort. Ar this point, more sach yeast isn't going to help. You can add amylase enzyme, but that is unpredictable. You can brew another similar dry beer and blend the two. Or you can just drink your very sweet and full-bodied IPA that you have now.

FWIW, I dumped and re-brewed, mashing at 152F for 60min. Came out nice.
Thanks for the repeated follow-ups. I suppose I should have read the thread more carefully and mashed at a lower temp. Oh well, I now know more about the effects of mash temp on fermentables. I'm slowly bringing the temp up to 70* and will give it a stir and a few days to see what, if any, progress is made. I'm still considering the AE given the success, albeit varied, of others. I can't/don't want a syrupy/sweet beer. I'll report back to this thread with updates so others may learn.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #109
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Brewed this about a month ago and bottled 2 days ago. I hit all my numbers and I know it's way too early for an official taste test, but at two days in the bottle, this beer tastes AWESOME.

Tons of grapefruit/citrus hop flavor and aroma with just enough malt to balance the bitterness. I really think the honey malt comes through well.

Now I just need to wait until it's actually carbed :P.

Really great recipe, BierMuncher

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 02-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #110
thrust
Recipes 

Just to update. I added amylase enzyme (AE) and have, by all indications, finished fermentation at 1.019.

Final calculations (6 gals):
OG 1.070
FG 1.030
FG w/ AE 1.019

Quick Reply