Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #971
Danno81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 121
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Yes I dry hop in primary. I kinda like to let it age a little before I start drinking it all. If I'm bottling I usually let it sit about 2 weeks but when I keg I let it age a little first then I keg it. I also don't have much free time so when SWMBO has plans I don't get to play in the garage

__________________
Danno81 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #972
Danno81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 121
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan
Does your primary include dry hopping? And I thought one of the benefits of kegging was not having to wait for the conditioning you have to wait for when bottling. I thought, once you force carbed, your beer was ready to go, so why wait? I just don't have the patience myself to wait that long... I usually let my beer stay in my primary fermenting bucket up until I bottle. Transferring to a secondary seems just seems like an unnecessary added step to me. That said, I usually let my brew ride for about 2 weeks in primary. If I'm dry hopping, I go ahead and dry hop after fermentation is done which is usually about a week. I used to let my beer sit in primary longer, but I've found no noticeable difference between letting the beer ride longer or shorter in primary...
one o the benefits of kegging is you don't have to wait for the bottle conditioning is true but the beer still needs to age. The main benefit IOC kegging is you don't have to fill 50 bottles and find a closet to store them in while they carb up. And the best benefit is you have it on tap. it's green u see no waste zero landfill
__________________
Danno81 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #973
mborodave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Murfreesboro
Posts: 2
Default


Just like to say that I absolutely LOVE this recipe... Big shout out to eschatz for posting this.. Have used this grain bill 10+ times since I found it. Next, I intend to use it with citra, galaxy, and belma hops with Brett C...

THANK YOU!!

__________________
mborodave is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #974
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wooster, OH
Posts: 695
Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mborodave View Post
Just like to say that I absolutely LOVE this recipe... Big shout out to eschatz for posting this.. Have used this grain bill 10+ times since I found it. Next, I intend to use it with citra, galaxy, and belma hops with Brett C...

THANK YOU!!
I would have to agree and it isn't a stretch to say this is my favorite recipe that I brew (Great Lakes x-mas ale is damn close though).

My most recent batch is finally just about fully conditioned and is tasting great! I usually have this brew available at all times as it's basically my house beer, but I've had some infection issues the last two batches I've brewed of this. I had some yeast that I had harvested from some Bells Pale that went bad which was the cause of my infections. So, it's been far too long for going without this clone and it's nice to finally have it back in rotation again!
__________________
MMJfan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #975
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 122
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default yeast


deciding between denny's fav 1450 or 1272. any idea what would be best? The recipe from NB calls for 1056 but from wyeast description it says it may need filtering.

__________________
juggabrew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #976
shuckit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 214
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Is the recipe on the first page the one to use still or is there an updated one buried somewhere between here and there?

__________________
240V EBIAB Build Thread
shuckit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #977
periwinkle1239
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 356
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by juggabrew View Post
deciding between denny's fav 1450 or 1272. any idea what would be best? The recipe from NB calls for 1056 but from wyeast description it says it may need filtering.
I would go with 1272, it's the closest to Bell's house yeast strain. Many think Bell's uses 1272...however I still think I can tell a difference and so if you can harvest from a few bottles of Bell's Amber, that's the way I would go...
__________________
periwinkle1239 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #978
periwinkle1239
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 356
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by shuckit View Post
Is the recipe on the first page the one to use still or is there an updated one buried somewhere between here and there?
I pretty much use the recipe on the first page w/ slight adjustments -

I usually add an extra lb of 2-row due to my efficiency.

I use RO water, so I basically follow the Primer and add-in 1 tsp of calcium chloride and 1 tsp of gypsum per 5 gal of water. Also use 2% acid malt.

Depending on the AA% of my centennial hops, I may adjust the hop schedule a bit, to get 55 IBUs.

I mash at 150.

Shoot for a OG of 1.064 and a FG of 1.010. Sometimes mine will only get down to 1.012-4ish.

That's how I do it and have had fairly good success with about 10 batches in the last 2 years. Centennial is my favorite hop...

Oh and don't forget the Bell's yeast.
__________________
periwinkle1239 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #979
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 122
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239 View Post
I would go with 1272, it's the closest to Bell's house yeast strain. Many think Bell's uses 1272...however I still think I can tell a difference and so if you can harvest from a few bottles of Bell's Amber, that's the way I would go...
I decided on the 1272. I moved to Denver from Ohio two months ago and they don't have bells here. Plus I'm not to the level of harvesting yet.

on another note. after being in Denver and checking out the craft selections. Im a little disappointed as it seems no breweries east of colorado are not available here. Im sure its not cost effective yet to ship out here but great lakes and bells would be nice to have here. In Ohio I can go to a liquor store and find beers from all over the world...here not so much.
__________________
juggabrew is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #980
powermd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangor
Posts: 90
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle1239 View Post
I pretty much use the recipe on the first page w/ slight adjustments -

I usually add an extra lb of 2-row due to my efficiency.

I use RO water, so I basically follow the Primer and add-in 1 tsp of calcium chloride and 1 tsp of gypsum per 5 gal of water. Also use 2% acid malt.

Depending on the AA% of my centennial hops, I may adjust the hop schedule a bit, to get 55 IBUs.

I mash at 150.

Shoot for a OG of 1.064 and a FG of 1.010. Sometimes mine will only get down to 1.012-4ish.

That's how I do it and have had fairly good success with about 10 batches in the last 2 years. Centennial is my favorite hop...

Oh and don't forget the Bell's yeast.
Thanks for the tip on using RO water. I do this when I brew but haven't used any additives. So far I haven't noticed any problems with the beer!

I followed the exact recipe from the first page, only using Conan yeast (aka ECY29). Fermentation stalled at 1.019, but restarted after I racked to a secondary and accidentally picked up some yeast/trub. i'm happy to say fermentation proceeded all the way to 1.010. I noticed some faint solvent like flavors, perhaps from the unexpected secondary fermentation. Some of which took place at 74F. I'm hoping that keg conditioning over two weeks at 68F will help clear this up. Probably won't notice these at serving temps anyway.
__________________
powermd is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just tried Bell's Two Hearted Ale... cercueil Commercial Brew Discussion 31 03-20-2013 12:22 AM
Bell's Two-Hearted And Founders Centennial IPA HenryHill Recipes/Ingredients 12 05-01-2012 01:47 AM
All Amarillo IPA vs. Bell's Two-Hearted Ale Rick500 General Beer Discussion 3 01-10-2010 06:38 PM
Harvested Bell's Two-Hearted yeast! climateboy General Techniques 4 11-15-2008 03:34 PM
Bell's 2 Hearted Xiren Recipes/Ingredients 4 10-13-2007 02:46 PM