Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #951
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I don't think Bells has switched yeast, or at least I would be surprised if they do. The yeast culturing is popular enough they may actually see a drop in sales if they did, and I don't see how they lose anything by keeping it the way it is.

I consider it a bonus when I try a new variety of Bells that I will also get yeast for my next 3-4 batches from it. I can honestly say it affects my decision to buy it.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #952
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Funny, I'm stepping up the Bell's yeast. I'm on my third step going from about 400 ml to about 1000 ml (plus around 700 ml from the previous steps). It's been two days now and the krausen hasn't gone down yet. Never seen that before in a starter or the Conan yeast I harvested. I have time, so I'll just let it go and wait till it comes down and then will refrigerate/decant before moving onto the last 1700 ml step. I was hoping to brew this next Sunday, but if I'm delayed, no big deal.
I turned up the stir plate a bit and it seems to be dropping now. I'll probably refrigerate tonight for 2 days and then move on to my last step. Then I can brew with it and have enough extra to save for subsequent batches.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #953
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I turned up the stir plate a bit and it seems to be dropping now. I'll probably refrigerate tonight for 2 days and then move on to my last step. Then I can brew with it and have enough extra to save for subsequent batches.
My krausen was quite large for awhile, now has dropped but is still there, so don't know if it has completely fermented yet. Was hoping to place in fridge tonight, but probably need to have all the krausen drop out, I would assume?

Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #954
mtnagel
Recipes 

For maximum yeast growth you should wait until fermentation is complete. You could always take a gravity reading if you are really concerned or just give it another day.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #955
mtnagel
Recipes 

So mine final step from 1L to a little 2L (1.7L wort; 300-400 ml slurry) overflowed my 2L erlenmeyer flask. So 2L of a starter in a 2L flask is a bad idea, who knew? Actually I've done it before without issue, but the krausen was bigger on this one so it overflowed a bit. I was prepared though and had the flask in a 2 gallon bucket on top of my stir plate, so no harm done. When done I'll refrigerate and I plan to brew this this weekend.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #956
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I'm just curious to know how much Centennial people are using for the dry hop? The OP's recipe calls for just a 1/2 oz and I've seen some recipes call for 1 oz and I've also seen some call for 2 oz. What seems to be the accepted amount?

I'm brewing up a batch using the recipe on the first page this weekend. I'm going to be using wyeast 1272 as my last attempt at brewing this over a month ago I harvested yeast from Bells Oberon and the starter got infected and I had to dump all of my bottles (first infection and first dump ). So, I'm just going to skip the harvesting step to avoid an extra step where I could get an infection and from what I've heard, 1272 is as close as it gets anyways.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #957
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 540 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan
I'm just curious to know how much Centennial people are using for the dry hop? The OP's recipe calls for just a 1/2 oz and I've seen some recipes call for 1 oz and I've also seen some call for 2 oz. What seems to be the accepted amount?

I'm brewing up a batch using the recipe on the first page this weekend. I'm going to be using wyeast 1272 as my last attempt at brewing this over a month ago I harvested yeast from Bells Oberon and the starter got infected and I had to dump all of my bottles (first infection and first dump ). So, I'm just going to skip the harvesting step to avoid an extra step where I could get an infection and from what I've heard, 1272 is as close as it gets anyways.
I've done 1.5 oz pellets in the keg with great results.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #958
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post
I've done 1.5 oz pellets in the keg with great results.
Happy medium sounds good to me!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #959
eodee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I struggled with how much to dry hop as well. The Zymurgy recipe (link) calls for 3.5 oz, but OP's recipe calls for 0.5 oz. I went with 3 oz in each of my 5 gal buckets.

----------------------------------

I just did a side-by-side sample last night for the first time. The color is just slightly darker, but I think this is because my clone is slightly less clear, so maybe less light gets through. The nose is a bit different. The Bell's is more floral, almost rosy to me. My clone smells more of sweet hops, but my beer is also quite a bit fresher than the Bell's. Taste, The malt backbone is pretty spot-on, as is bitterness. I taste a bit more grassy hop flavor in my beer, but I think that's just because it is so young. Mouthfeel is a bit off. I don't think my beer is fully carbed up yet as it was on gas for just a week.

Overall, I'm very satisfied. This was my 4th or 5th batch overall. The beer impressed at a local homebrew club meeting, which pleased me!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #960
one-L
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have dry hopped with 2 oz in the keg on several batches of this now and it seems like a pretty good sweet spot. Just bought another lb of Centennial and I think this is going to be one of the next ones on the rebrew list.

Quick Reply