Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #921
2005STi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this beer 7 weeks ago and it's just starting to come around. It's finally getting that centennial smell and a bit of that two hearted flavor. It's still a little astringent but I think that's because my final volume was lower leaving me with more a higher OG/IBU ratio. I left it in the primary for 3 weeks, kegged and sat for a week. It tasted way off so I took it out to condition at 70deg for a week then back into the fridge for the past two weeks.

I'd be interested to brew it again and try to nail my process better and see if it makes the difference. But if this is a beer that takes 7-8 weeks to be drinking its best, I'd rather use my fermenters/kegs on beers with better turn arounds like 5-6 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #922
Nightstalker
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have/had the same results as you 2005sti. Was not impressed and I know it was something I did. I have had it conditioning for two months and it has not gotten much better. I may give it another go but it was not the Bells I remember (not close) I tried my BIL's Dead Ringer extract and thought it was closer than what I made.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #923
lukskywok
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

i tried this recipe earlier this year, im on my last bottle, gonna have to do it again =] really good beer, better than original two hearted imho =]

Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #924
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default Good Luck, Bad Luck

I've brewed this many times and about to do it again on Labor Day. I "get" what most are saying about this THA clone. But someone had to dump this? Yikes! Thats seems way out there for this recipe.

Some comments. I usually primary this for at least 3 weeks, 4 or 5 only better. I rack to secondary (yes, oh the humanity) and dry hop for 5 days max. 3 days on dry hops and 2 days of cold-crash is my target (give or take a day or so). Then 3 weeks at 70 in the bottle. At this time frame - your first bottle will still taste green....hot....bitter. 3 more weeks and it will be coming into it - it can't be rushed. And, it has a sweet spot, it will loose its fresh IPA "freshness" if you leave it laying around for another couple of months or so. If you hit it when it's peaked you are in for a treat. I've posted this before about some blind taste tests where every contestant picked the homebrew as 1.) the one they liked the best (easiest to drink) and 2.) they picked this homebrew as the one they thought was the commercial one. At it's peak - it's just WOW!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #925
2005STi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

^ so you're talking
1) 3-5 weeks Primary
2) 5 days dry hop/cold crash
3) 3 weeks bottle
4) 3 more weeks to be at its peak

That's 10-12 weeks. 3 months for an ipa to hit its prime is nuts. We're talking 6 weeks for conditioning?

Old 08-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #926
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005STi View Post
^ so you're talking
1) 3-5 weeks Primary
3) 3 weeks bottle

That's 10-12 weeks. 3 months for an ipa to hit its prime is nuts. We're talking 6 weeks for conditioning?
This is not overly nuts. The single best ever rendition of this recipe that I have brewed, to date, went like this:

- 3 weeks in primary @60F
- 1 month in secondary @60F (went away for work)
- 5 day dry hop in secondary @60F
- 2 day cold crash in secondary @35F (dry hops still in)
- 3 weeks in keg @40F/12psi

That is almost 3 months. Granted, all this waiting was not necessary or even intentional in this particular case but it absolutely produced one of the finest IPAs I have ever brewed. I mean....outstanding in my opinion! It's funny what one learns under forced conditions sometimes.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-23-2013, 02:54 AM   #927
arborman
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Im going to to a 10 gallon batch of this on the weekend, and will split into 2 fermentors. I will do one batch all centennial dry hop, but thinking of dry hopping the second with a different hop. I really like dank! I have lots of simcoe, falconers flight and amarillo on hand... Any suggestions?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #928
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I've brewed NB Dead Ringer Ale (AG) twice and had a lot of positive comments. Used Bells yeast. They were immediately drinkable after 2-2.5 weeks of bottle conditioning and half a week in the fridge. Honestly, those were the best ones as the aroma was the highest. Took me maybe 8 weeks to consume thet batch from then on and the beer was stable, but wasn't any better than the first ones.

I did pitch a healthy amount of Bells yeast, as I always brew my house pale ale prior to this one. That and hitting the proper temps were the key for me. I think I primaried for 2 weeks, then dry hopped in primary for 4-5 days, cold crashed, and bottled.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 08-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #929
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default Nuts - yes - but the best IPA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005STi View Post
^ so you're talking
1) 3-5 weeks Primary
3) 3 weeks bottle

I just want to re-iterate my experiences with this brew. I work with (3) beer snobs (myself being the fourth) - one of them German. For what it's worth, - the blind taste test rendered a unanimous verdict from all 3. The homebrew was preferred between the two and the homebrew was obviously the commercial beer in the test (wrong!). There are quicker turn-around beers to be brewed, but when you want to get your IPA on, it's a winner!

Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #930
DonnieZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewed this for the second time a few weeks ago. The first time I brewed this recipe, it was my first attempt at AG brewing. Didn't turn out good at all. Figured I'd take a second stab at it.

This time I Ended up missing my gravity by about 22-23 points, starting at 1.043 or so. I think I took too long draining the mash tun of both first runnings as well as the sparse run-off. Also I want to start looking at mash pH as well.

Either way, it fermented out to about 1.011 in a little over a week and a half. Cold crashed the primary and racked to secondary on Labor Day. Planning on dry hopping this beer tomorrow, but wondering if 2 Oz of Centennial pellets is too much for this small of a beer? Advice?

Quick Reply