Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #891
tonymark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I only ordered 1 lb of Centennial in the fall and have tried to make it last so I have been bittering this recipe with other hops I have on hand. I use only a 15 min addition of Centennial and dry hop with it in either secondary or in the keg. My last batch of this I added 0.5 lb aromatic/melanoiden and dropped the caramel in half. It is still in fermenter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #892
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ View Post
Well I did this batch with 1272 so I guess we will see how it compares to the last batch that was harvested Bell's Yeast.
I am in the same boat, didn't have time to harvest and build up the Bell's yeast from bottle. Please let us know how your 1272 batch differs from using Bell's in your previous batch.

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 06-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #893
jaydog2314
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 149

so I cracked a bottle yesterday that has been conditioning for 2 weeks and am I so disappointed! I have NO idea what went wrong but it tastes like a regular old light beer! no aroma, no bitterness nothing even remotely close to two hearted! this is the first batch that I've had such disappointing results since some of my firsts! I have double checked my notes and I'm lost as to what went wrong.

Had a 2L starter of 1272 that was out of control, had to turn the stirplate off after about 18 hours, it was bubbling like crazy
Mashed at exactly 152.8 for 60, Sparged with 170 water
Hit pre-boil amount of of 6.75 gallons, est pre-boil gravity was 1.055 I came in at 1.058
Hit post boil amount of 6 gallons, cooled and was left with 5.5 in the fermenter
Pitched crazy yeast starter under 80, not sure of exact temp, was distracted.
Est SG was 1.064, I came in at 1.063, FG was at 1.012 (6.7) so I missed FG barely!
Blow off tube was blowing hard within 12 hours of pitching!
Primary for 3 weeks, 6 days of those were dry hopped, sat pretty much at 63-66 the whole time
Used 3.3 oz of corn sugar & .75 oz of table sugar to prime for bottling, bottled have been in a closet at close to 70

Only differences with this batch compared to others:
-1st batch I didn't transfer and dry hop in secondary, doubt that would cause the taste issues
-I did have a bunch of bubbling/issues when racking to bottling bucket but I wouldnt think at 2 weeks oxidation would even be present
-Had to used 3/4 of a ounce of table sugar with corn sugar due to not enough corn sugar on hand
-The only other thing I can think of was when I was cooling this batch, within the first 5-10 of minutes I noticed a very small amount of the cooling water was kind of sweating/dripping it's way back down the immersion chiller. I immediately stopped but couldn't fix the chiller so I had to cool old school with cold water and some ice in a sink. So my cool down took almost 45 minutes.

Now I'm leaning towards the crappy water getting back into the kettle caused this odd taste. But I'm kind of lost. I'm just surprised too that there is next to NO aroma at all. I haven't had the hops long at all either, ordered them back in April and had them vacuumed sealed within a week of receiving them.

No clue, I'm disappointed. Any thoughts?

Secondary: Belgian Wit w/blackberries
Up Next:
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #894
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Only been in the fridge for a couple days. Carbonation seems like it will be ok once it settles into solution. I am a little let down by the aroma though. Thought I would get more out of the 2 ounces.

image-2120916195.jpg  

Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #895
JoeCap09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

image-3987228969.jpg

Sippin this lovely clone on the deck.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #896
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCap09

Sippin this lovely clone on the deck.
Killer glass!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #897
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I gotta do this one again... my last bottle was the best

Kegged Oktoberfest - Schwarzbier - Pale Mild
Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Nelson Sauvin honey Blonde - Porter

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Homebrewers are like drunk Rembrandt's... Painting the world with liquid love
Quote:
If you're getting into this hobby to save money... you have a great sense of humor

Old 06-24-2013, 02:30 AM   #898
joeyuwp
Recipes 

Made this a couple weeks ago and tweaked a little. Added 1 tsp of black pepper for last ten mins of boil. Also added the fruit and zest from 4 naval oranges after initial heavy bubbling slowed in fermentor. Kegged yesterday and taste was very interesting. Heavy orange followed by an ever so slight burn from the pepper. Really balanced the sweetness. Very dry finish though. From adding oranges and re-energizing yeast maybe?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #899
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My most recent batch of this has been in the keg a few weeks now. I had a bottle of Two Hearted and then followed up with a glass of mine. Color is nearly dead on for this batch. Just slightly less clarity in mine than the real version, mine has just a touch of haze. Aroma is also very nearly dead on. I used some Citra in this batch so I expected differences but the aroma is very very close. Malt profile is also very close, in fact I can not pick up much difference at all. The hop profile is a little bit off though. Mine has just a touch more bitterness and a very light grassy profile that I assume is from the dry hop.

I am very pleased. I aimed for just above the original clone recipe numbers in terms of IBU and gravity on this batch. I used the 1272 yeast which seemed to work very well. If I recall all my numbers it was 1.067 O.G. and 1.012 final. I used half an ounce of Citra in place of the late Centennial addition. I also used Citra in the dry hop phase.

Will ride for beer!

Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #900
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hey Midjay

I get your description, well done - I've described this way myself. Keep in mind, this brew will mellow in bitterness. Give it a month (or two even). You'll be surprised at the difference - the quality goes way up. Time does wonderful things to this 2HA clone.

Quick Reply