Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #841
Rahahb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is going on 4 weeks in the keg and it gets tastier every time I try it. :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #842
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 109

still undecided whether to brew this one or DFH 60-minute, they're both just so dang tasty

seems like the last one I had is always my favorite... then I drink the other and then that one is my favorite

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #843
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

More carboys!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #844
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoss View Post
Have a nice size starter (6qts) ready to decant and pitch. Bells yeast / 1272.

Look for a pre-boil gravity of 1052 or so.

Boil it down to 1064 or so.

It will finish fermenting at 1012 or so. 7% abv or so.

(My process) 3 weeks in primary. Rack to secondary and dry hops on Sunday - have it crash cooled by the next Saturday for transfer to key or bottles.
Why such a large starter??

Old 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #845
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lots of yeast

No stir plate? No problem. Step up to 6qts., chill, decant then pitch.
No chance of an under-pitch which means happy under stressed good working yeast-IRS, attenuating to the max.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #846
one-L
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewed a batch of this on 1/21. Used S-05 because I had killed the last of my Two-Hearted's a couple of weeks before. 1.059 OG to 1.016 FG. Think it finished slightly high because it was a partial mash with extract. Dry hopped with 2 oz of centennial in the keg. I think this is one of my favorites so far, and as I got an extra lb of Centennial on accident from the brew store last time I ordered hops, I think I will make sure this one stays in rotation for a while. Looking forward to doing it all grain when this keg kicks as I finally have my mash tun done and tested, but other than being just slightly sweet, it is delicious. Brought a growler to my local brew club party after our competition this year and had people who tasted it sending lots of folks around to try it.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #847
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-L View Post
Brewed a batch of this on 1/21. Used S-05 because I had killed the last of my Two-Hearted's a couple of weeks before. 1.059 OG to 1.016 FG. Think it finished slightly high because it was a partial mash with extract. Dry hopped with 2 oz of centennial in the keg. I think this is one of my favorites so far, and as I got an extra lb of Centennial on accident from the brew store last time I ordered hops, I think I will make sure this one stays in rotation for a while. Looking forward to doing it all grain when this keg kicks as I finally have my mash tun done and tested, but other than being just slightly sweet, it is delicious. Brought a growler to my local brew club party after our competition this year and had people who tasted it sending lots of folks around to try it.
IMHO a few thousandths high SG is good. I've never run a hygrometer on T.H. out of the bottle though. It seems like a slightly higher gravity to me.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #848
DonnieZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Drinking a glass of this that I made now. It was my first AG batch and I'm so far not impressed, but I think I know what I'll change for my next AG batch after this..

I used 1056 and fermented at 60-64 degrees, so it's incredibly clean. Let it sit in primary for 3 weeks, secondary for a week, dry hops for 5 days of that week, then into the keg at 12PSI for about a week.

My mash temps were very low, in the 148-149 range for most of the mash, so this beer is very dry with little flavor other than hops. About a week ago I was ready to pour it out of the keg because it didn't smell right nor did it taste very good. Over the last week it's become drinkable, but it kind of tastes like fizzy hop water!

SG was 1.055 and FG was 1.011.

There's always next time. Me and a buddy just did our first 10G AG batch the other day and we brewed the DFH 90 clone recipe that's floating around this forum. We kept the mash temps up on that batch, more in the 154ish range. Hoping that turns out better with much more flavor! Only three days in the carboy, so I'm super excited to get a taste of this one!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #849
tonymark
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieZ View Post

My mash temps were very low, in the 148-149 range for most of the mash, so this beer is very dry with little flavor other than hops. About a week ago I was ready to pour it out of the keg because it didn't smell right nor did it taste very good. Over the last week it's become drinkable, but it kind of tastes like fizzy hop water!

SG was 1.055 and FG was 1.011.
Funny, I mashed my first batch of this at 149 F. With some additional 2-row I hit the OG of 1.065 (which is what 2H should be). Half got stuck at 1.032 and I had to hit it with some US-05. That dried it down to 1.008. Dry hopped for 5 days. It is really incredible with not the slightest high alcohol taste. This stuff snuck up on my wife the first time she drank it. I have made it with Wyeast 1968 a few times and that is really good. It gets a little more British yeast flavor and it holds the FG higher for a little more substance. I would try that and see what you think.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #850
JoeCap09
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewin this right now! 45 min into the mash, sitting at 151f.

Quick Reply