Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #811
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 816 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieZ
One more Q.. Is 60-61 too low of a ferment temp for this? I want it to be clean tasting with as little fruit as possible, but I also want good attenuation.. Already bubbling after 2 hours at about 61.5 degrees.
I just kegged a batch of this done with 1056 and fermented at 60 for five days then raised to 64 until completion. It finished at 1.008 so attenuation won't be a problem. And it tastes great. Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #812
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I had an OG of 1.065 on my last batch and it fermented around 66. I used Bells yeast and just took a fermometer reading yesterday and it came in at 1.012 which seems like some pretty good attenuation!

I have a question. If fermentation is complete what is the benefit of leaving it go in the fermenter for another 2 weeks before bottling as opposed to just dry hopping now that fermentation is done and bottling in a week?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #813
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 816 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan
I have a question. If fermentation is complete what is the benefit of leaving it go in the fermenter for another 2 weeks before bottling as opposed to just dry hopping now that fermentation is done and bottling in a week?
I like to give the yeast some time to clean up any by-products they may have produced during fermentation. I typically let this brew go 2-2.5 weeks in primary before dry hopping (which I do in the keg).

Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #814
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieZ
One more Q.. Is 60-61 too low of a ferment temp for this? I want it to be clean tasting with as little fruit as possible, but I also want good attenuation.. Already bubbling after 2 hours at about 61.5 degrees.
Kind of a weird choice for someone looking a Two Hearted clone. Two Hearted definitely has a citrus/grapefruit/centennial flavor.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #815
DonnieZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak View Post
Kind of a weird choice for someone looking a Two Hearted clone. Two Hearted definitely has a citrus/grapefruit/centennial flavor.

I will admit that my brewing knowledge is ever expanding, however as I understand it there's much difference between the fruit flavors that are imparted by hops than those imparted by yeast.

I've made beer that was fermented at the higher end of the rated temperature range for 1056 and I wasn't a fan of some of the flavors present, and from what I described to others it was a "fruitiness" imparted by yeast. I guess I'll find out this time.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #816
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieZ View Post
Using the Bell's yeast, you want to ramp up the fermentation to around 70 towards the end. That's what gives it the distinct 2HA flavor. Low 60's should be the sweet spot for 1056 for a neutral yeast profile, if that is what you want.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #817
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I ramp mine to hit 70 at the end too with the Bells yeast. I find the extra fruitiness blends great with the all centennial hop. I would say it has more fruit than the original however, so maybe 66-67 would be your eventual target temp (near end).

If you maintain temps around 60, it will be tasty but different than the original.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #818
Spinrathen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just brewed a similar recipe from 365, only reason initially I didn't brew this one was because I thought the abv off. Finally got around to reading thread and I think I'll brew this one with the 1272 from last batch. Can never have too many two hearted clones to drink.

Thank you Jerry!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #819
73runner400
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewed this a few weeks ago using 7c's instead of centennial and wlp001. Transferred to secondary today. Already smells great! Next I want to try it with all summit hops.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #820
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I want to brew this as an APA. The way I see it, I could lower all of the percentages to bring it into pa territory or just lower the amount of base malt. I would also just lower the bittering addition. Any tips? I am leaning towards just lowering the 2-row to 8#. Thoughts?

Quick Reply