Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #791
Cbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Double The Centenial Hops

What do you think would happen if I doubled the Centennial in this recipe. I have done a Two Hearted Clone similar and it was great but I am a little curious. Would it be to over the top?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #792
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrown View Post
What do you think would happen if I doubled the Centennial in this recipe. I have done a Two Hearted Clone similar and it was great but I am a little curious. Would it be to over the top?
Four hearted ale.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #793
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #794
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Four hearted ale.
how very Dr Whovian of you
Coming up Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #795
tonymark
Recipes 

Default Stuck fermentation

10 gallons of 2H clone brewed 2/9 with OG 1.065. I think that my fermentation may be stuck on one carboy. I pitched one with wyeast 1968 and the other with a cultured Bell's yeast. The 1968 finished days ago at 1.017 (high for 2H, but expected for 1968). I pitched a decanted 2L starter of the Bell's yeast (the starter actually blew out) in the other carboy. I aerated with aquarium pump and stone. The carboy Krausened hard for 3 days with a blow out. It seemed like fermentation was near done and the gravity is at 1.040. Should I see more that a bubble every 1.5 minutes in an S-type airlock? or is a slow fermentation to be expected with the Bell's yeast? I am thinking about adding some S-05. Should I re-aerate if I do, or will this cause oxidation?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #796
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Pitching Bells yeast in a couple hours in a different brew. Sticking around for any answers to the above post.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #797
mn_rookie
Recipes 

One thing I do know from bad experience is not to reairate after the yeast has started doing its thing. That would completely oxidize your pride and joy right there I'm sure. It sounds like there's some kind of a variable your not seeing. It's a good point you bring up the cultured yeast. I would definitely look more into that aspect of things. But hey, what do I know? Like the name says im just a noob

Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #798
tonymark
Recipes 

I forgot to mentioned (actually too embarrassed) that I racked to secondary. This is probably my problem. I just restarted brewing again after 12 years off from years of successful AG brewing and this is my 3rd batch. So I am kinda a noob all over again. After reading about stuck fermentations, this may be my problem. Should I re-pitch with a well attenuating yeast. I have 2 packs of S-05 and a little Bell's yeast saved from the starter in the fridge. I can re-culture the Bell's yeast into a 2 l starter, decant and pitch again or add a slurry of both packs of S-05.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #799
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Not sure I'm understanding. When you say you racked to secondary was your problem, why would that be a problem? Did you transfer too early?

I brewed up my 2nd AG version of this recipe on Saturday doing BIAB. I too used Bells yeast I originally cultured from some Bells Amber Ale and had sinced washed from a batch of an Oberon clone I brewed.

I did try something new with this last brew. Was reading my latest BYO and they had an article on whirlpool hopping so I figured what the hell and gave it a shot. I had an exta oz of Centennial so after flameout, I added 0.5 oz and since i dont have a pump, I stirred the wort for a minute and then let it spin down and settle. After 30 minutes I cooled the wort to 170 as instructed in the article and then added the final 0.5 oz and stirred again for another minute. I then let it settle for 15 more minutes before cooling down to pitching temp.

We shall see how this turns out. So far it smells awesome coming out of the airlock.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #800
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hi Tonymark

I believe you mean stuck ferment. You brewed on the 16th Saturday an on Monday your at 1040 (from 1065). I'd say, stay the course. If it still sits at 1040 on wednesday - I would add more yeast and I guess I'd go with the US05 as the Bells culture you have seems to have failed you - but this rack to secondary confuses me? Like you brewed on Sat, and racked to secondary on Sunday....? Huh? What?

Quick Reply