Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #71
LooyvilleLarry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
BTW: Anyone else notice how close this recipe is to Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale (aside from the hop schedule)? 20L instead of 10L along with Carapils added and a couple less pounds of base malt.
I happen to have these two beers in my fermenting chamber side by side! I took a hydro sample of the Haus Ale on the same day as the 2Heart was brewed. Very similar.

I can't wait to taste these.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #72
hukdizzle
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got mine fermenting right now but I used US-05 instead of an english style yeast. We'll see how it turns out. It's going to be much bigger than the intended clone here at 1.070 and 71 ibu's.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #73
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I really need to get mine bottled. I brewed it nearly 2 months ago, and it's been cold crashing in a bright tank for the past week. Perhaps I'll get the energy tonight. I don't want to put it in a keg, because I fear it will go too fast. Took a sample when I transferred it out of the dry hop secondary, and in to the bright tank and it was fantastic—Even warm & flat .

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #74
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukdizzle View Post
I've got mine fermenting right now but I used US-05 instead of an english style yeast. We'll see how it turns out. It's going to be much bigger than the intended clone here at 1.070 and 71 ibu's.
Funny, I thought I undershot the OG but I ended up with awesome attenuation (down to 1008 using the bottle harvested yeast) and my ABV was nearly spot on.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 05-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #75
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Mehhhhh.... Crying baby = no comparison last night! Will try tonight, I didn't actually forget this time!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #76
bzomerlei
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wanted to chime in here. I brewed this back in February using harvested yeast from two bottles of the Two Hearted. I used a smallish starter, only a cup of DME, and did not step it up beyond that. My OG was 1.062, FG 1.011

The brew turned out awesome, the only think I will change the next time I brew this is to use leaf hops instead of pellet to see if I get better aroma.

Brent

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #77
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'll chime in as well. I brewed this in march. 1 packet of Notty, no starter. OG 1.067, FG 1.013. Dry hopped (too long) 14 days with 3/4 oz of leaf centennials (9.2% alpha). Sitting in a bright tank for the past week. Want to bottle, but waiting on iodaphor. LHBS ran out and won't have it for a week, so I ordered 32oz from BMW for half the cost. Might keg it this week instead and use Star San... but I digress. Anyhow flavor/aroma was awesome when I racked to the bright tank to cold crash. Warm flat beer is starting to grow on me . Seems to have a bit of chill haze @34F after sitting on the leaf hops for 2 weeks.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 05-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #78
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wow... eschatz knocked this recipe out of the park... See my post above for the slight change to counter my efficiency, but here's the comparison:

Aroma: Both have overwhelming aroma of grapefruit, slight citrus. Slight maltiness, but hops are the star in both. Near identical aroma... Scary close.

Appearance: Almost identical... Hoof Hearted might be 1 SRM darker. It's SO close. Both beers crystal clear, no filtering on HH, but has been cold for 6 weeks. More head on the HH, but came from draught system. Both laced well. Pics below...

Flavor: Again, very close. Beginning to think this is the best beer I have ever made, and thank eschatz again for the recipe! Bell's comes out with a slightly deeper flavor profile. Sweeter with more of a juicy citrus taste on the mid bottom of the tongue. HH is a touch breadier, which may only be evident since the juiciness is missing. HH comes off slightly more bitter. Trying hard to describe the difference may make it seem like a large disparity, but I stress it's very close. Bell's wins for slightly more depth.

Mouthfeel: Identical. Both have light mouthfeel until the hops make you pucker. I really can't tell a difference there.

Overall: Again, very close. This is an AWESOME clone recipe. I give the slight edge to the Bell's, but my Hoof Hearted is super good for having been made in a garage and not a fancy brewery. Add the fact that this clone is much cheaper, and wow.

Make this clone! Thank you eschatz!!! All pics are here.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 05-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #79
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

LOL!

I keep hearing about 2 hearted and keep wanting to try it, but can't get it here. Turns out I've brewed it twice and never knew it. My favorite IPA is almost this exact recipe. It started out an EdWort, then it became my house centennial pale ale, then it sort of kept growing

Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 AM   #80
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Make this clone! Thank you eschatz!!! All pics are here.
Thanks for the awesome review DD. I'm glad you like it. It's quickly becoming my house IPA. I agree that it needs to be lightly sweeter. Maybe bump the mash a little. I'll try that with my next batch.

Thanks for brewing it!!!!

What's tappening? :D

Quick Reply