Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #751
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Biab is Brew In A Bag. Essentially its an all grain (or partial mash) method where the crushed grain is mashed in the boil kettle at roughly ~ 150F for 60 minutes. The grain is held in a fine mesh bag that can be lifted out of the kettle after the 60 minutes are up. You can then sparge by dunking this bag in another vessel at 170F for 10 minutes, sprinkle 170F water through it, or skip this step all together (called no sparge).

You need a 7.5 gallon pot (will barely fit the 12 lbs of grain for 2H, but preferably larger). You will also need to do full volume boils for all grain, so a propane turkey frier heater is helpful (where I got my pot too). And finally a method of quickly chilling 5-6 gallons of boiling wort; I use a copper immersion wort chiller. Of course the bag itself is needed for BIAB, but I got my start with nylon 5 gallon paint strainer bags that you can find at Home Depot or Fleet Farm (like $5 for 2). Lots of great BIAB instruction and discussion here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab...g-pics-233289/

BTW, too bad you didn't ask a 6 weeks ago I'm in the NW side of the Twin Cities and could have shown you how to brew 2Hearted with BIAB. Ready to crack the first one tonight (2nd batch of 2H).

Primary #1: Ice Shanty Bock #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #752
coreydye
Recipes 

So.. I have a real newb question and would appreciate some feedback. I used this recipe for my first all grain brew (I've done a few extracts / partial mashes). Normally I've always bottle conditioned / carbonated my home brew, but I also just upgraded to a small kegging system. I noticed in the recipe that its recommended for the primary fermentation to go for 4 weeks at 65 degrees. Is all of this time in the primary fermenter? Or should i move my beer into the keg and let it go another 2-3 weeks there? Thanks for the help!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #753
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydye View Post
So.. I have a real newb question and would appreciate some feedback. I used this recipe for my first all grain brew (I've done a few extracts / partial mashes). Normally I've always bottle conditioned / carbonated my home brew, but I also just upgraded to a small kegging system. I noticed in the recipe that its recommended for the primary fermentation to go for 4 weeks at 65 degrees. Is all of this time in the primary fermenter? Or should i move my beer into the keg and let it go another 2-3 weeks there? Thanks for the help!
No need to ferment any longer, just transfer to your keg and carb it up with co2. Should be drinking it in a few days if you force carb

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 01-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #754
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui
Hmm, still too intimidated to make a starter. I think for this batch I may get a 1056 and assuming it's fresh, just smack it, let it swell, and pitch. For a 5 gallon batch, I'm not too terribly worried about it being stressed.

Then I'll work on harvesting some real THA yeast, learn about starters that way.

The other part of it is that I want to brew this on New Years Day, and I'm not sure I'll be able get the right cell count by Tuesday.
I started making starters and immediately wondered why I hadn't always done it. Just like going all grain, it's ends up being 1000 times easier than what you think it will be. Give it a shot, it's a good skill to add and there is a great sticky about it. Only takes a few minutes.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #755
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlHungus76 View Post

I started making starters and immediately wondered why I hadn't always done it. Just like going all grain, it's ends up being 1000 times easier than what you think it will be. Give it a shot, it's a good skill to add and there is a great sticky about it. Only takes a few minutes.
See,y you had me until you called all grain 'easy'.... I have yet to break 55% efficiency, and it's pretty darn frustrating.
Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #756
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
See,y you had me until you called all grain 'easy'.... I have yet to break 55% efficiency, and it's pretty darn frustrating.
BIAB is AG and it is pretty easy. I've yet to hit below 70% efficiency either...

Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #757
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post

BIAB is AG and it is pretty easy. I've yet to hit below 70% efficiency either...
I must be doing something completely wrong. Tried small batches of biab, did full size in a cooler, and it's still awful. Gonna try again this week.
Conditioning:

Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #758
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I would question your crush first. 1x crush by brew shop? Grist ratio of quarts of water/lb of grain in mash? Did you calibrate your mash thermometer? Getting to 70 should be very attainable, keep investigating.

Primary #1: Ice Shanty Bock #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3: Empty
Kegged
: Hidden Lake Nut Brown, Border Crossing Vienna
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: ??

Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #759
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Here's the crush, 1x through on a friend's crankandstein setup that he got from a friend of a friend, no obvious way to set (or find out) the size.

1.25 quarts per pound

mash thermometer was always within 1 or 2 degrees of my glass thermometer in other applications.

Think I might go 2x crush for my next batch, and cross my fingers to avoid a stuck sparge (bazooka tube in the bottom).

The two big mistakes i've been able to figure out from my last attempt were:

1. My sparge water was heated to 170, much too low to bring my grain bed near 170. Aiming for 180-182 next time.

2. I stirred, but not vigorously, after my infusions. I'm going to stir much harder next time, and use the vourlaf to reset the grain bed.

Question, how long to let the infusions sit before starting vourlaf and draining again?
Conditioning:

Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #760
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 142

looks like your crush is fairly coarse. if the mill is adjustable, tighten that baby up!

if not, a double crush would probably hep out a lot.

Quick Reply