Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #741
elproducto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
Hmm, still too intimidated to make a starter. I think for this batch I may get a 1056 and assuming it's fresh, just smack it, let it swell, and pitch. For a 5 gallon batch, I'm not too terribly worried about it being stressed.

Then I'll work on harvesting some real THA yeast, learn about starters that way.

The other part of it is that I want to brew this on New Years Day, and I'm not sure I'll be able get the right cell count by Tuesday.
Starter is just a mini batch of beer. Nothing to be intimidated about, and something you should start doing. I've been brewing for 3 years and don't own a stirplate.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

MMJfan Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #742
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto

Starter is just a mini batch of beer. Nothing to be intimidated about, and something you should start doing. I've been brewing for 3 years and don't own a stirplate.
You should try one. I used one pack of 1056 to ferment 22 gallons of beer - half was 1.039 and the other half about 1.064.

Most yeast calculators are going to tell you that you need 4-5 packs of yeast to pitch the correct amount.

You can pitch a single pack and let it do its thing, but you could be waiting a while for fermentation to start or stress the yeast impacting your flavor.

Considering how cheap it is to build your own stir plate, it's almost silly to not have one.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #743
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wyeast 1272

A true Bell's clone is from cultured yeast or Wyeast 1272. I've brewed both 2HA and Oberon, many times now...I buy the 1272 when I'm out of harvested, or I dont have the runway to culture - there is no telling the difference. My homebrew guru and home brew shop owner tipped me off to the 1272 after some discussion. He insists it is Bells house yeast and after many brews I believe him.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #744
mn_rookie
Recipes 

Hey guys! I am super excited to be getting into this hobby and want to go right ahead and say thanks for future reference to everyone out there posting on these forums.

I am completely new to this hobby but excited because I feel that craft brew is a way of life, sort of speak. Haha. Which leads me to my questions pertaining to this post...

I have been reading up on recipe's for BTH which is one of my favorites. One question came to mind right away; are there any special equipment requirements for doing an all grain recipe like what this seems to be? And are there any tips or tricks you guys can share for a first time brewer like myself ith this ipa? Is this a good brew to start with? Any input I'd much obliged. Thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #745
BreezyBrew
Fully Fermented.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
Hmm, still too intimidated to make a starter.
Don't let all these board posts make you nervous. Seriously, its not any more difficult than rehydrating a pack of dry yeast.

Things I've found helpful:
*Always have a few packs of dry yeast around... This way, no matter what happens, you can still make beer.
*Never put a flask on the stove burner. I know some do it but asking for trouble with today's cheap flasks.
*put the starter in the fridge at least the night before brew day. This is a preference thing, but I don't want all of that liquid in my finished beer. This will NOT hurt the yeast. You can pour off the excess liquid easily as the yeast will be tightly packed to the bottom. You just need to leave some of the liquid in there and then swirl it so it becomes mixed again.
*make sure all of the yeast comes loose from the bottom of the flask before you try and pitch.
*Don't think about it too much, just do it. It's fun! After a couple of times, you will have the process down.

If you would like a video, search the internet for billy brew yeast starter. Great instruction there. Happy brewing!

- 99% Perspiration 1% Beer
- "Sometimes you have to journey to realize where you are"

Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #746
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 533 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyBrew View Post
*Never put a flask on the stove burner. I know some do it but asking for trouble with today's cheap flasks.
Electric range maybe, but if you're not putting your flask on a gas burner you just wasted money on it.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #747
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Well, I don't have any excuse not to make starters now, built a stir plate today, along with a dollar-store vase to use as a vessel (cool it down to pitching them BEFORE putting it in the vase), and the whole thing was under $20.

Now if I can just figure out why my efficiency is so awful, < 60%.. Ugh

Conditioning: Russian Imperial Stout
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast

Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #748
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_rookie View Post
Hey guys! I am super excited to be getting into this hobby and want to go right ahead and say thanks for future reference to everyone out there posting on these forums.

I am completely new to this hobby but excited because I feel that craft brew is a way of life, sort of speak. Haha. Which leads me to my questions pertaining to this post...

I have been reading up on recipe's for BTH which is one of my favorites. One question came to mind right away; are there any special equipment requirements for doing an all grain recipe like what this seems to be? And are there any tips or tricks you guys can share for a first time brewer like myself ith this ipa? Is this a good brew to start with? Any input I'd much obliged. Thanks in advance
What equipment do you already have would be a starting point. Doing BIAB, you can pretty much use equipment you have for extract brewing with a large bag and you can do AG brewing.

And this is a pretty good recipe to start out with. Not too complicated and fairly straight forward. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #749
mn_rookie
Recipes 

http://www.brewngrow.com/store/brewi...eer-kit-detail

I received the kit in the hyper link above. The thing I'm concerned about is that I know this is an all grain brew. And I really don't know if the supplies I currently have will be sufficient enough to get this brew done the right way. Thoughts?

Thanks for you speedy response by the way. Your input is appreciated!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #750
mn_rookie
Recipes 

Ps... What biab mean? Lol

Quick Reply