Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #711
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
Jhoss, what was ur fermentation schedule like? My brew is in the fermenter now. Was planning 3 weeks in primary and then dry hop for a week, cold crash and keg. What did you do?
I let mine ride for 2 weeks in primary and then dry hopped for a week and bottled after 3 weeks. I don't transfer to secondary for dry hopping btw.

It's only been bottle conditioning for a week, but the hydrometer sample I tasted was great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #712
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hi Guys, PJM

I go 21 days in primary. Rack to secondary and at least 2 oz's of dry hops for 5 days, cold crash till it looks good and bottle. 3 weeks at 70, at least 48 hrs. In the fridge and yer good to go.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #713
PJM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Thanks guys. Sounds like my plan comports with yours.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #714
Lagerheaded
Recipes 

Just did this on Friday. My first AG without a bag!
Missed the note about mashing low and did mine at 162F for 1hr15. Is this why I missed the OG by so much?
Added 12oz DME to get up to 1.064.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #715
jmf143
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerheaded View Post
Just did this on Friday. My first AG without a bag!
Missed the note about mashing low and did mine at 162F for 1hr15. Is this why I missed the OG by so much?
Nope - conversion is conversion. The mash temp will affect the fermentability of the wort, but not the original gravity. Off the top of my head I'd guess perhaps you didn't stir the mash well, or your sparging was off, or the pH of your mash was outside the recommended range, or you had a bad crush.

Edit: You may be off (too high) on your volume too.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #716
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Alright, I really hate to do this since its probably the 1 millionth time someone has posted something like this and I should know better but getting reassurance helps out.

I recently made 10 gallons of this clone after my first batch was so well received. After opening one of my fermentation buckets, I noticed what is in the picture below floating on the top. I am hoping its just chunks of yeast, I tried my hydrometer sample and it tasted great so I am hoping this isn't an infection.

My other fermenter looks fine and no chunks like this, it was a 6 gallon better bottle that I had swirled due to a ton of krausen on top that I wanted to fall out.

I used some harvested yeast from Bell's Oarsman Ale, just as I had in the past and this was a very long and explosive fermentation. Anybody think this is something to worry about or am I good since the sample tasted good after 3 weeks?

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #717
KarlHungus76
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11
Alright, I really hate to do this since its probably the 1 millionth time someone has posted something like this and I should know better but getting reassurance helps out.

I recently made 10 gallons of this clone after my first batch was so well received. After opening one of my fermentation buckets, I noticed what is in the picture below floating on the top. I am hoping its just chunks of yeast, I tried my hydrometer sample and it tasted great so I am hoping this isn't an infection.

My other fermenter looks fine and no chunks like this, it was a 6 gallon better bottle that I had swirled due to a ton of krausen on top that I wanted to fall out.

I used some harvested yeast from Bell's Oarsman Ale, just as I had in the past and this was a very long and explosive fermentation. Anybody think this is something to worry about or am I good since the sample tasted good after 3 weeks?
Not certain but that just looks like some yeast rafts to me. Time and or cold crashing (or both) will probably cause that to settle out. If not, add a bit of gelatin if and when you rack to secondary for dry hopping. If you're already in secondary and will be kegging then add gelatin at kegging time, cold crash, then toss the first pint or two as the gelatin will settle at the bottom of your keg.
Good luck.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #718
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlHungus76 View Post
Not certain but that just looks like some yeast rafts to me. Time and or cold crashing (or both) will probably cause that to settle out. If not, add a bit of gelatin if and when you rack to secondary for dry hopping. If you're already in secondary and will be kegging then add gelatin at kegging time, cold crash, then toss the first pint or two as the gelatin will settle at the bottom of your keg.
Good luck.
Thanks for the input, that is actually my primary where I am also dry hopping due to only having 1 secondary fermenter (10 gallon batch). I plan to cold crash this one before kegging, it does help a lot with clarity. I guess I will keep an eye on things to make sure all is well but the fact that this tasted good makes me think this is just some remaining yeast on top. I had an infection a few batches ago so I think that is in the back of my mind still.

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 11-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #719
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

IMO, the NB Deadringer version is very close. Unbelievable how good of beer you can make from 2 malts and 1 hop. I don't think they use anything else, just those 3 ingredients. Using the actual Bells yeast is key I think, and it needs to approach the mid to upper 60's for the back half of the fermentation to match the fruity esters of the original.

I'm going with 2 oz of dry hopped Cent as the aroma was a tad lacking last time. And dialing down the temps just a degree or two (hit 70 last time). Otherwise it's a 3-3.5 week primary only ferment. Included in that time is a 10-12 day dry hop and a 3 day cold crash with gelatin. Going to bottle this one again as friends really liked it last time.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #720
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

How would Weyast 1028 - London Ale be with this recipe? I have some I just harvested from another beer.

Quick Reply