Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #611
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubDog View Post
I brewed this three weeks ago along with a batch of Janet's Brown. OG came in at 1.066, FG 1.012, used Notty. Fermented at 66 for a week and transferred to secondary and dry hopped for a week. I did not change anything with the recipe. Kegged after a week of dry hopping and its now carbed up nice.

It's kinda bitter and not much of the dry hop aroma/flavor seems to be there. Will it come together after a few weeks? was my FG too low? I've never tried Bells. This batch tastes OK, just more like a pale ale and less like an IPA.

BTW - the Janet's Brown is awesome!
I had almost exactly the same results with my THA clone. The bitterness will mellow but honestly I think the aroma is still lacking. The taste is dead on ringer to the real thing (I used harvested Bells yeast).

If you have the opportunity I would increase (maybe double) the dry hop. I did a little test where I racked an extra half gallon into a growler at keg time and I added an additional 1/2 oz of centennial... made a world of a difference.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #612
snowman
Recipes 

Never tried the Dead Ringer so just looked it up and I see it is what they used to call 3-Hearted Ale ... here's the very easy recipe:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...dRingerIPA.pdf

I pretty much stick to these ingredients but sometimes cut down the extract and hops to more of a Pale Ale style. Just kegged some up yesterday.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #613
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

NB Dead Ringer is good but it's not 2 Hearted. Most clones I see have about 2 lbs Vienna and less Caramel, I'd agree this would be better after having mine and then a 2 Hearted on tap at a local bar.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #614
Mcaudio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cracked open a bottle of this today after only two weeks of conditioning and about four hours in the fridge.
Taste was bitter, almost no centennial taste present. Looks like this will have to sit for a bit longer. At least another two to let it mellow. Will report back.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #615
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Just took out my dry hops. My carboy smelled very much like Bell's Two Hearted! Woop!

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 07-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #616
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
NB Dead Ringer is good but it's not 2 Hearted. Most clones I see have about 2 lbs Vienna and less Caramel, I'd agree this would be better after having mine and then a 2 Hearted on tap at a local bar.
I wish I hadn't read this and hope you are wrong....I'm doing Dead Ringer tonite.
I finally had someone find me some of the real stuff when out of town and I have 1 left I'm saving to do a sided by side in 6 weeks.

Either way, I'll have good beer. The NB all grain kit is pretty simple too!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #617
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord

I wish I hadn't read this and hope you are wrong....I'm doing Dead Ringer tonite.
I finally had someone find me some of the real stuff when out of town and I have 1 left I'm saving to do a sided by side in 6 weeks.

Either way, I'll have good beer. The NB all grain kit is pretty simple too!
No worries, it's still tasty!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #618
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cracked one open!

It's nice! I will have to do a side-by-side with the real thing but Man!, is it drinkable. Just guessing at the differences, my homebrew struck me as slightly more bitter than the real 2HA.

Just to recap. Cultured Bells yeast, brewed on Memorial Day weekend, cracked one yesterday - July 15th. It probably has some mellowing to do - but the thought of 2 cases of this on hand pleases me greatly! I think I will enjoy!

Jhoss

Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #619
Jhoss
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Side by side comparison...

A friend of mine is a great judge of beer (my impression). He knows what he likes, can describe nuances from label to label - He has turned me on to some really super craft beers and I trust his judgement. He is a harsh critic as well. He brought out some Two Hearted, we put both home brew and Two Hearted on ice for an hour or so while we had a chore to do...anyway.

My wife sets us up with a blind taste test. He says "Wow, these are really close" He guessed WRONG which was which! I knew. I could tell by the smell and color. mine smelled better, fresher but the color was muddier - browner that the original.

Really a fine tast test!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #620
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Has anyone done this as a BIAB? Going to give it a go next weekend.

Quick Reply