Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #311
Lateralus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So I've read through this entire thread and I'm trying to nail down the exact figures for this beer in order to get it as close as possible to the real thing. So far I have the OG as 1.064, and I think the dry hops should be more than usual. Several pages back I think I read that there's no Vienna, just 2-row. Nearly everyone seems to be using Vienna malt though.

I've been playing around in BeerSmith a bit, but can't for the life of me get this program to adjust for mash temperature. Surely this is a very important parameter which should be accounted for, no? The difference in finishing gravity and mouthfeel is huge between 149 and 155, but Beersmith doesn't change it's predicted finishing gravity at all. Any help here?

Here's what I have so far:

Batch Size: 6.00 gal
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.015
SRM: 6.1
IBU: 62
Efficiency: 75%

11 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs Vienna
1 lb crystal 20
1/2 lb dextrose in boil
mash 60 min @ 150F

1.25 oz Centennial pellets 9.9% @ 60
1 oz Centennial @ 15
1 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 5
1 oz Centennial @ 0
1 oz Centennial dry-hop for 7 days in secondary

1/2 gallon starter of Wyeast 1272

Ferment at 65F for one week, rack to secondary on the dry hops for 7 days, rack to keg, carbonate and condition.

I added the corn sugar for the purpose of drying out the beer, but it's tough to know how this is going to come out if BeerSmith doesn't account for the mash temperature or the fact that corn sugar is more fermentable than 2-row. Surely BeerSmith is programmed with this in mind. Are there numbers which I can change to account for these things? I'm not trying to knock BeerSmith here, I'm just trying to get my numbers right before I brew this beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #312
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lateralus, unfortunately, the mash temp doesn't adjust in Beersmith or any recipe tool that I know of. However, you should know what to expect from your Tun/Thermometer/Etc. In a perfect world, 149 will dry out quite a bit more (~.010) than 155, or maybe more. But, not all thermometers are created equal. That being said, plug in your 'actual' gravity based on what you know/think to predict better.

disclaimer - i've been drinking homebrew for the past 3 hours while i work on my brewery logo and update/cleanup my recipes. hopefully, the advice i offered is sound and coherent.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #313
swoody
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got a noob question....If I brew this beer and at completion of secondary, keg it, will it be fine for 2.5 months? If so, do I want to carbonate it before I leave it for that amount of time and do I want to refrigerate or let it sit @ about 55f. See I work on a ship and am gone for a few months at a time. With all the great reading/results here I really want to do this brew but with only 2 months off it would be tough to get it done (properly) and in my belly before I have to leave.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #314
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

i'd probably brew it as close to the departure date as possible as i like my IPAs fresh. in 2 months time it will surely lose some of that hop aroma, but it will still be a great beer. i would probably dry-hop in the keg too, to try and keep some of that aroma throughout the life of the keg.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #315
bh10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

For whats its worth after trying a couple combos out, I think WLP001 is closer to Bell's strain then WLP051

Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #316
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoody View Post
I've got a noob question....If I brew this beer and at completion of secondary, keg it, will it be fine for 2.5 months? If so, do I want to carbonate it before I leave it for that amount of time and do I want to refrigerate or let it sit @ about 55f. See I work on a ship and am gone for a few months at a time. With all the great reading/results here I really want to do this brew but with only 2 months off it would be tough to get it done (properly) and in my belly before I have to leave.
Like the other guy said, I;d time this that it goes into the secondary about the time you leave, then carb it accordingly. I'd dry hop when I got back for a couple of days so the aroma is still there.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 AM   #317
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this recipe about a week and a half ago, on Sunday the 12th to be exact. I opened the fermenter last night to check the gravity and it was at 1.011, so obviously it's pretty much done fermenting. (I used Bell's yeast harvested from 2 bottles of Oberon). But the beer was still very cloudy.

I plan on waiting a few more days before doing anything. But if it hasn't cleared up enough, should I use some gelatin? Unfortunately I don't have the ability to crash cool.

Also, should I transfer to a different bucket before dry-hopping, or does it matter?

I plan on using a hop bag to when I dry hop (I'll be using whole hops). Should I just throw it on top or should I weight it with something so the hops are submerged from the time I put them in?

Finally, is there any reason not to dry-hop longer than 5 days?

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #318
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just ordered the supplies to brew this (again, I think this'll make 15 or 20 gallons I've made)

I'm excited!

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #319
machinelf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I used Bell's yeast in mine and no gelatin and it's crystal clear. BUT, I left it in primary for 3 or 4 weeks, and then racked to secondary for a week of dryhopping before bottling. Plus it's now been bottled for several weeks, so that helps too.

If I were you I would just let the yeast clean up after themselves for another couple of weeks and then dry hop. You can dry hop in the primary, but if clarity is a big concern I'd probably go ahead and rack it first.

I've always just racked onto loose hops (or dumped them on top in primary), but I'm seriously considering doing the weighted bag thing to try and submerge them. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post
I brewed this recipe about a week and a half ago, on Sunday the 12th to be exact. I opened the fermenter last night to check the gravity and it was at 1.011, so obviously it's pretty much done fermenting. (I used Bell's yeast harvested from 2 bottles of Oberon). But the beer was still very cloudy.

I plan on waiting a few more days before doing anything. But if it hasn't cleared up enough, should I use some gelatin? Unfortunately I don't have the ability to crash cool.

Also, should I transfer to a different bucket before dry-hopping, or does it matter?

I plan on using a hop bag to when I dry hop (I'll be using whole hops). Should I just throw it on top or should I weight it with something so the hops are submerged from the time I put them in?

Finally, is there any reason not to dry-hop longer than 5 days?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #320
BigErn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Brewed this today.

10lbs 2row
2lbs vienna
2lbs carapils

1oz 60 min
1 oz 45 min
.5 oz 30 min
1 oz 15 min
1 oz 5 min
.5 oz 1 min

Used a yeast cake of bells yeast from an oberon clone. The fermenter blew up after just 6 hours WOW.

Mashed at 150F and my og was 1.062.

Idk what my efficiency is because I don't have acces to beer smith.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

Primary:
#1 Bells best brown clone
#2 Cranberry Cabernet Sauvignon.
#3 Empty
#4 Empty
#5 Empty
Secondary:
#1 Cherry mead
#2 2.5 year old mead
#3 Empty
#4 Empty