Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 PM   #121
dmaher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Crumb, that hop schedule that you are using gives you 66 IBU. Pretty high. If you like the bitterness and understand 66 IBU it's ok. Eschatz recipe calls for 53. My last batch came out at 53 and it's plenty bitter, just about the same as a TH. You may want to think about going:

1 oz 60 min
1 oz 15 min
1 oz 5 min
.5 oz 1 min

I would then use the leaf hops in the carboy with 10 days to go. You are correct about bucket and carboy. The leaf hops are going to give it a really fresh scent. It's not an exact TH clone but it is really a great way to go.

The above hop schedule gives you 53 IBU.

It comes down to personal preference but at least this should help understand where you are going before you start. This thread has been following the eschatz recipe and what success others have had following the recipe. Any variations from his recipe will give you something different than what he and others have been trying to do, clone the TH.

You should still end up with a variation that should give you a great drinking beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #122
CorporateCrumb
Recipes 

dmaher, does it make a difference that I am doing a 3 gallon boil? I plugged the original hop schedule into Beer Calculus, and the IBU I got was in the low 40's.

I am still very new to brewing, and I am still coming to grips with the differences between boil sizes - hop utilization, etc.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #123
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The IBU's depend very heavily on the crop of hops you are using. Check the alpha acids and make sure they are entered properly.

Your utilization will be much worse in a three gallon boil because of the sugar density. This explains the relationship rather well.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #124
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I have been getting an almost soapy-dishwasher soap flavor from the use of too much centennial as the bittering hop. I'm experimenting now with dropping that first addition down a bit and seeing if it makes the beer slightly smoother.... (always something to tweek)!

What's tappening? :D

Old 06-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #125
MeetsCriteria
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Based on reading this thread, and advice from a brew buddy who swears by Bell's Two Hearted Ale (which I've never had sadly), I decided to make this my next brew.

Brew Day came, and I went to Home Brew Mart here in SD to get my ingredients. Wouldn't you know they were out of Vienna! So, had to improvise. Based on their recommendations, I ended up substituting Victory Malt for the Vienna. Yes, I know it's a darker malt. But I think it was the best choice for what my options were at the time.

I also adjusted the recipe upward to hit closer to 1.070, which seemed more likely to yield a 7% ABV beer to me, based on my experience. Of course, I had a bit hight efficiency than expected, and the boil resulted in a bit more volume loss than I'd planned. Goal was to end with 6 gal (enough for a keg, and to bottle condition some), and ended with 5.8 gal.

So, long story short 1.076 was the OG post boil. IBUs had been adjusted slightly upward to 57. I also First Wort Hopped 30% of the late hop addition, which hopefully will smooth it out a little.

Wort tasted awesome, and the old WLP001 is chugging away on it now. I suspect it'll be a great brew...but how close to Bell's is any ones guess.

Any thoughts on how different a beer I am looking at given the Victory substitution?

Cheers,

Mike

Old 06-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #126
eschatz

Recipes 

Your beer will be great. It won't be true to the original recipe but it'll knock your socks off. That's for sure!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #127
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this on Saturday... SG was 1.058-1.060...

Its taking off like a rocket ship in my Conical right now...

Ferm temp has jumped from 63* to about 70* So im cooling it down...

Anyone here tried a warmer ferment? I typically always ferment in the low 60's...

I imagine that it might bring out a different profile to this beer.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #128
eschatz

Recipes 

It's a pretty clean beer. I usually ferm around 65F. Ramping it up would obviously bring more character from the yeast. But the yeast is natrually very neutral anyways.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #129
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used US-05... instead of S-04

Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #130
MeetsCriteria
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
Your beer will be great. It won't be true to the original recipe but it'll knock your socks off. That's for sure!
Thanks! Smells great now! I suspect it'll be a month before I can post up results...but will be sure to post pics! Thanks again for the inspiration!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply