Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #1011
orangemen5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityBaller View Post
I brewed a batch of this Saturday, definitely my most uneventful brew day to date!

The only issue I ran into was when I went to pitch my starter of yeast collected from a real Two Hearted, it smelled pretty funky, very phenol-y. I have had issues with collected yeast before, so I decided to play it safe and pitched a 1056 American Ale I had instead. Hopefully it still turns out well!

I harvested some two hearted yeast also that smelled very phenol-y. So I toss the yeast cause it was brown and from an old bottle. I reharvested again from a bottle that was a few weeks old and it still smells phenol-y. This ones nice and white and creamy. So I'm going to pitch it and see what happens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #1012
BrewCityBaller
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemen5 View Post
I harvested some two hearted yeast also that smelled very phenol-y. So I toss the yeast cause it was brown and from an old bottle. I reharvested again from a bottle that was a few weeks old and it still smells phenol-y. This ones nice and white and creamy. So I'm going to pitch it and see what happens.
Will you let me know how it turns out? I was really on the fence about not using it, but I didn't want to see a whole batch go to waste becasue of some bad yeast. If that's how the stuff smells and it ferments okay, then I will know for next time!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #1013
orangemen5
Recipes 

I'm brewing it up tommorow. I'll definitely post back results.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #1014
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I've had this happen too with harvested Bells yeast. I pitched it even though it had a phenol-y smell and my batch never came around. I chalked it up to an infection somewhere while I was harvesting. That was my first and only batch I hat to dump.

I've since given up trying to harvest yeast and just use 1272 which still makes for a great IPA...

Old 01-14-2014, 03:35 AM   #1015
orangemen5
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I've had this happen too with harvested Bells yeast. I pitched it even though it had a phenol-y smell and my batch never came around. I chalked it up to an infection somewhere while I was harvesting. That was my first and only batch I hat to dump.

I've since given up trying to harvest yeast and just use 1272 which still makes for a great IPA...

Thanks for the info. Your making me wonder if I should not use my harvested yeast. I tasted the wort from the starter and it didn't taste bad. I've got a nice amount of yeast built up. I stepped it up from one bottle 3x. What happened with your batch when you said it didn't come around.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #1016
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts

I would give it a try. Starter wort often smells/tastes off because it becomes oxidized (a consequence of aeration, which is helpful to yeast growth). With a starter, you are not trying to make delicious beer, you are making yeast.

Put the starter in the fridge for at least 24 hours to get the yeast to flocculate, then pour off the starter wort and pitch the slurry.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #1017
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Anyone heard anything about not being able to harvest yeast from Bell's Two Hearted bottles?

I've heard it from 2 people now - one at my homebrew club meeting and one in the Commercial harvest thread.

I was able to harvest yeast from a Two Hearted bottle in Oct and I used it to make this clone, but now I'm worried it may be a bottling strain and not the primary fermentation strain.

I did find this on the Bell's website:

Quote:
since we don’t filter any of our ales either, you can harvest it directly from the bottle.
They don't specifically mention Two Hearted (probably because of the higher alcohol content making it not as good of choice as their lower alcohol beers for harvesting). But at least they gives me hope that what I have is their house primary fermentation yeast and not a bottling yeast.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #1018
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemen5 View Post
Thanks for the info. Your making me wonder if I should not use my harvested yeast. I tasted the wort from the starter and it didn't taste bad. I've got a nice amount of yeast built up. I stepped it up from one bottle 3x. What happened with your batch when you said it didn't come around.
I just think it was infected. I actually had 2 batches in a row I tried brewing using harvested Bells yeast not turn out great. One turned out ok after about a month of conditioning, but it was far from the best batch I made do this clone. The last batch I made using harvested yeast was un drinkable. It conditioned for over two months and then I started having bottle bombs so it became time to just dump it.

I had been successful in harvesting yeast for several previous 2 Hearted clones as well as several Oberon clones. But when I had not one, but two batches not turn out, I just decided it wasn't worth it to take the time and effort to harvest yeast if it isn't going to turn out. I've read several accounts that say 1272 is pretty close to the Bells yeast strain and I would concur with that opinion since brewing my last batch of Two Hearted with success using 1272.

I'm not saying you can't harvest their yeast as I have done it successfully in the past. I've just been burnt two batches in a row and these were my only batches of the almost 2 years of brewing beer that didn't turn out for me so it isn't worth the risk for me to continue harvesting and hoping I have a successful harvest...

Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #1019
ahurley666
Recipes 

Dose anyone have a 1 gallon recipe for two harted? I ended up having to leave most. Of my 5 gallon stuff behind with my dad and started my 1 gallon batches again and if its not worth trying. 1 gallon I'll have to get a 5 gallon kettle to work with thanks for any help

Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #1020
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 161

You can do a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot with BIAB.

I use Beer Smith to scale recipes. Works well.

Quick Reply