Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #1001
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

So I did a side by side blind taste test on my version of this recipe and the real thing. Both were bottled within 2 weeks of each other (late Oct/early Nov). Both my girlfriend and I said they were pretty much indistinguishable in taste. Mine was actually clearer, but it could have been due my pour. We both don't love the 100% centennial hops, but both said it was the best IPA I've made and I attribute that to the mineral additions I made. I added 8 g gypsum to this batch (ended up with ~200 ppm sulfate). It was the first time I've added minerals to my beer. I didn't make it without the minerals to truly know if it was the gypsum, but we both thought the hops "popped" more and were "brighter" than my other hoppy beers I've made. Thanks for the recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #1002
eval
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
So I did a side by side blind taste test on my version of this recipe and the real thing. Both were bottled within 2 weeks of each other (late Oct/early Nov). Both my girlfriend and I said they were pretty much indistinguishable in taste. Mine was actually clearer, but it could have been due my pour. We both don't love the 100% centennial hops, but both said it was the best IPA I've made and I attribute that to the mineral additions I made. I added 8 g gypsum to this batch (ended up with ~200 ppm sulfate). It was the first time I've added minerals to my beer. I didn't make it without the minerals to truly know if it was the gypsum, but we both thought the hops "popped" more and were "brighter" than my other hoppy beers I've made. Thanks for the recipe!
I should try adding some gypsum on my next IPA batch

Just out of curiosity: How much did you dry hop with?

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #1003
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

2 oz for 5 days.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #1004
Talonracer67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Making the page 1 recipe, got all the stuff from my LHBS and brewed on a day off. ended up using Nottingham Ale yeast-no time for a starter. Not looking for a Bell's clone(never had it), just a good drinking IPA. Sipping a Victory Hop Devil right now, if you like hoppy beers and live near Pa I'd recommend Hop Devil its like liquid crack!! Only variation I'm making from the original is I'm dry hopping with 1oz pellet. OG was in the 1.070 range, mislabeled my brew kettle and mashed about 6.5 gallons and ended up with less than 5 after my boil. So I topped off with a little water to drop the OG into the high 1.060's

Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #1005
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Two Hearted recipe was released a few years ago in Zymurgy magazine. You should be able to track it down with a Google search, but I’ll give you the highlights you’re looking for:

80% 2-row
20% Pale Ale Malt
0.5 lbs. Caramel 40L

SRM is somewhere around 10.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #1006
Talonracer67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The Nottingham yeast really went to town, it was down to 1.004 after about 4 days, was shocked to see it ferment that low especially since my OG was so high and my ferment temps were down around 62 degrees. Let it stay in the primary for a week. Dry hopped with 1oz today. Will let it sit for 5 days then cold crash for two and I'll bottle it next Sunday.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 AM   #1007
orangemen5
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Is the cara pils/dextrine nessesary in this recipe ? I know it adds a little extra body. I brewed this recipe once with it. Was going to brew it a second time without it. See what the change is.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #1008
Talonracer67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Bottled it today, the sample I tasted was amazing. Very hoppy and tasty even flat. Can't wait

Old 01-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #1009
juggabrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Finally tasted this after 3 weeks of conditioning. I think the the northern brewer dead ringer is better clone IMOO.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #1010
BrewCityBaller
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I brewed a batch of this Saturday, definitely my most uneventful brew day to date!

The only issue I ran into was when I went to pitch my starter of yeast collected from a real Two Hearted, it smelled pretty funky, very phenol-y. I have had issues with collected yeast before, so I decided to play it safe and pitched a 1056 American Ale I had instead. Hopefully it still turns out well!

Quick Reply