Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Rye IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #81
ISUBrew79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_catz View Post
I just brewed a batch of this and I tasted a sample before I pitched the yeast and it was extremely bitter. Will this mellow out as the beer ages?

I did use the biab method and put the in tettnanger hops once I pulled the grain bag.
In my experience, the wort always tastes considerably more bitter before fermentation than the finished beer does. A fair amount of the bitter hop resins usually get spit out of the fermenter with the blow-off, or stick to the sides of the fermenter in that ugly greenish-brown krausen ring. Also, some of these bitter resins and hop acids actually adhere to the cell walls of yeast cells, so you lose some bitterness in that way as well.

Don't worry, IPA wort is supposed to taste bitter. It will mellow quite a bit once fermentation is complete.
Bottled: Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

On Tap:
Keg 1: Belgian Table Beer
Keg 2: Belgian Tripel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #82
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1st keg gone, brewing it again this weekend

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 05-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #83
DustBow
Recipes 

Brewed again this past Sunday and came up with a question.
Could you replace the 1/2 pound of flaked barley with flaked rye and get even more rye flavor along with the body/lacing/head that the flaked barly provides?

Regarding flaked rye, most of the posts I found when searching deal with flavor/mashing/diastic power/etc compared to malted rye.
Do all flaked grains - oats, barley, wheat, rye - produce the same body & head results? Or does the flaked barley take it to another level compared to the others?

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #84
s_catz
Recipes 

Hey guys

My gravity has been stuck at 1.026 for about 5 days. Is there anything I can do to get it to the proper FG.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #85
cliftonj
Recipes 

First brew I fired up after redeploying from Afghanistan last week. Looking forward to the end results. Haven't brewed this recipe before but Ed's recipes have all been winners so expecting good stuff.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #86
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Holy crap. I brewed this like 4 months ago as a reason to try something different and it sat in my carboy for 3 1/2 months. Finally gathered the effort to bottle and I'm trying it now. I am blown away. Wayyyyyyyy better than I had ever anticipated/expected. Probably the best IPA I've ever had. The "spice" to this beer is extremely smooth and this beer is actually delectable. I can't stop drinking it. Way to go, Ed! This brew is a major winner. I like it better than the other recipes you posted. Win stuff right here!

Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #87
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Got the ingredient to brew this next week. Have saaz and chinook in the freezer. And I scaled this down for my 72% brewhouse efficiency for a 1.064 OG. And I'm going with one pack of S-05

So, any extra tips or advice from those that have brewed this multiple times before? I am anxiously awaiting this brew, it looks fantastic

Cheers

Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #88
DustBow
Recipes 

I've brewed it twice. Not sure what happened but this 2nd batch isn't as spicy or have as much of the Chinook flavor and bitterness coming thru. Still a great beer tho, I love what the flaked barley does.

My advice would be to either mill the rye twice or set for a tighter grind for the rye - it's so much smaller then barley grains. This is a great recipe tho - I use MO as the base, and I'm going to sub in Amarillo for the FWH next time.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #89
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Cool, milled all the grain twice and I'm ready to go Monday or Friday. Amarillo sounds good, I think I still have a pound in the freezer.

Looking forward to it for sure

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #90
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
Cool, milled all the grain twice and I'm ready to go Monday or Friday. Amarillo sounds good, I think I still have a pound in the freezer.

Looking forward to it for sure
Amarillo in a spicy beer? Whut? lol. Look for a spicy hop and save the amarillo for a different pale ale or IPA :3
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Quick Reply