Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #241
Walking_Target
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The amarillo dry hop really adds an interesting character to this one. Even without the crystal malt, this has great body and it has a thick, creamy head that just won't go away. Lacing in the glass like crazy!

This is definitely a repeatable brew. Just need more hops

Fermenting - Pomegranate Mead (3g), Acerglyn

Kegged - Modified Bee Cave IPA, Calypso Pale

Bottled - Brown ale, Pomegranate Mead, Orange Apfelwein

ftea Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #242
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Daddio and I are brewing this up right now, sticking with the original recipe. Don't think we've ever used either of these hop varieties before, so it's a bit of a mystery brew for us -- pretty excited to see what comes out.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #243
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just took a little taste @ 6 weeks old. Kegged 2 weeks ago. Very nice, not the west coast hop bomb some would want but a very tasty and balanced beer. Thanks Ed.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #244
Whipskipper
Recipes 

This beer was awesome went through a keg this weekend camping everyone loved it even my wife who does not typically like IPAs. I added 2oz of hops in the primary for dry hopping one week prior to kegging. Gonna get ingridents today to brew again.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #245
MisterVitser
Recipes 

I just used this as the base recipe for my first IPA. Though I subbed around the hops a bit as I had Cascades and Galena (Bittering) in the freezer. Ended up dry hopping it with a combo of Cascades and Pallisades. Which I also used to lightly dry hop the Haus pale recipes you provided as well. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the pallisades, but they have been really good for me. Thanks for providing great basic recipes for us beginners.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #246
dgr
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Bummer. LHBS gave me a substitute for Warrior hops on this. What they gave me isn't even close. I looked through my stash and it looks like I'm brewing this as an all Centennial IPA. It's either that or let it mash overnight

Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 AM   #247
natural
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

This is a really stupid question, but this is going to be my first brew ever and it mentions to dry hop in the keg. I'm not putting this in a keg. I'm going to ferment in my primary as it suggests for 10 days, would I then transfer it to a secondary, not transfer it at all and add the dry hops and let it sit there before pulling them out and then bottle?

Sorry!

Also, just to make sure this is being calculated right and i'm not messing something up but i'm coming up with a strike temperature of 167 with 3.9 gallons of water, 12.5lbs of grain to reach 154f according to brew365.com

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #248
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can do it either way, whatever time permits. I dry hop in the primary all the time.
As far a your calculations go that looks right on the money, although the strike temp seems a little low. using my system when I made this recipe I mashed in at 154 degrees using 172 degree strike water. I don't pre heat my mash tun as some others do. I got a little program years ago that gives me my numbers and is always spot on for 5 gallon batches. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #249
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Brace yourselves, Here comes another converting to extract question.......

I have read all 25 pages and Edwort mentioned that you can now buy Munich LME to replace the Munich steeping grains. Is One LB of Munich LME all that is needed to replace the 1 lb of Munich grains?
So I would use 6.7 Golden Light DME and 1# Munich LME???

I am going to attempt to use a Belgian Yeast and hope I get close to Stone Cali-Belique

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #250
Hunky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I'm going to attempt my first all-grain with this recipe and I thought I would go for broke with a 11 gal. batch. Have John Palmer's book but not figuring a few things out, like his sparge calcs. I've read on the beginner forum to figure .5 gals per pound of grain for sparge, so with 22# pale, 2# Munich, and 1.5# Crystal, or 25.5# x .5 gals. equals 12.75 gals of sparge water. Some calculators assume I know how many gallons I want for initial boil, which I don't. Does this seem right? (this assumes you throw the crystal grain into the mash too - right?)

Also, EdWort mentions sparging 3 times. I assume that means dividing that 12.75 gallons into roughly 3, or a bit over 4 gallons per sparge? These are probably best answered elsewhere, but since the quantities are sort of recipe specific, hope you don't mind. cheers, JD

[edit] I fired up Brewtarget for the first time to see what I could do with that. (I'm on linux so not so easy to deal with some other softwares). I had it calculate my target boil size with target batch size at 11 gallons and it came up with 12.6 gallons for target boil size. For conversion, it says about 8 gallons and for sparge it says 8.2 gal. That sounds more realistic. Curious if I'm on the right track? thanks much, JD

Quick Reply