Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #221
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steber View Post
I want this to be my next brew. Unfortunately, I'm still afraid to make the leap to AG, and do extracts. I know this thread has been beat to death with us newbs trying to brew extract of this.. but I wanna make sure I'm doing it "right" (if you can call extract brews right).. Anyways..

steep 1# Munich and 12 oz Crystal 60L
Instead of the 11# pale, use 6.6# Light DME
Hop/boil as usual.

I have the capacity to do a full boil on the turkey fryer, so if i make these adjustments noted above i should be good to go?
I was looking at the same thing myself. But I've found out that Munich is not suitable to be steeped, it needs to be mashed. So I think it calls for a partial mash. I think that's how I'll do it. If anyone knows a steeping grain that will give us similar characteristics to munich, let us know.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #222
althea
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan View Post
I was looking at the same thing myself. But I've found out that Munich is not suitable to be steeped, it needs to be mashed. So I think it calls for a partial mash. I think that's how I'll do it. If anyone knows a steeping grain that will give us similar characteristics to munich, let us know.
Mashing and steeping are essentially the same thing. If you're extracting w/grain: 1)put the grain in a bag with cold water 2) heat to 150-155F 3) hold for at this temp for 30 mins or 60 mins in you can wait that long.

I bring it up to temp on the stove, put the lid on and cover with a beach towel doubled over. This holds temp for quite some time. I do this in a smaller pot inside at the stove. I use this time to bring the rest of my water up to a boil outside and just get everything else ready.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #223
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by althea View Post
Mashing and steeping are essentially the same thing. If you're extracting w/grain: 1)put the grain in a bag with cold water 2) heat to 150-155F 3) hold for at this temp for 30 mins or 60 mins in you can wait that long.

I bring it up to temp on the stove, put the lid on and cover with a beach towel doubled over. This holds temp for quite some time. I do this in a smaller pot inside at the stove. I use this time to bring the rest of my water up to a boil outside and just get everything else ready.
Yes, I've done 2 partial mashes already. I think a base malt would also be required unless the Munich is considered a base malt, so I would probably throw in a kilo of pale malt into the mash.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #224
D-MOTITAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Brewed this on 1-30....into keg on 2-19. Pulled a pint tonight and it was great. I usually brew ten gallon batches and pulled a 83% efficiency on this five gallon. I had to sub nugget for the warrior. Thanx ED.....U never disapoint.

unta gleeben glouten globen.......Def Leopard

Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #225
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am loving this IPA EdWort, absolutely fantastic. The centennial really has a huge orange taste which makes it very palatable.

I used the same ratio of malts. I did cut back the bittering hop addition just a tad just to experiment. I ended up going for 62 IBU's, and my starting gravity was 1.062 making my GU:BU ratio 1, and I really am enjoying the level of balance, however it still has a slight lingering bitterness which is what I was going for. I'm starting to find myself not as much of a hop head as I was before.

bee-cave-ipa.jpg  

Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #226
DirtyDirty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yum! Good stuff! Thanks for the recipe.

image-3644130206.jpg  

Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #227
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

I just stumbled upon this thread. The grain bill is very close to what I use for my house IPA, only difference is I use 2lb of munich and a full lb of the crystal 60. My hop schedule is very similar but I use Magnum for the 60 min and Citra for late additions. Then I dry hop with 1oz each of Citra and Simcoe. I'll have to try it with the centennial and warrior combo, sounds good. The malt profile is a perfect base for any IPA.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #228
happypanties
Recipes 

Likes Given: 33

I just brewed this on Sunday, and I dry hopped right away in the primary. My thought was to then transfer it to secondary after 10 days without additional dry hopping. I just now read post #130 of this thread where EdWort mentions he ferments for 10 days to 2 weeks, THEN dry hops.

Any suggestions for fixing this? Should I just continue as I planned?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #229
Pdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypanties View Post
I just brewed this on Sunday, and I dry hopped right away in the primary. My thought was to then transfer it to secondary after 10 days without additional dry hopping. I just now read post #130 of this thread where EdWort mentions he ferments for 10 days to 2 weeks, THEN dry hops.

Any suggestions for fixing this? Should I just continue as I planned?
Dry hopping only imparts aroma, and while the young beer is in primary fermentation, it is pushing a lot of CO2 out of your fermenter...and your hop aroma will be pushed out along with it.

You will probably get some aroma with your method, but in order to get the full effect you will need to dry hop again when primary fermentation is done. Or you can wait until you make a second batch (you most certainly will want to) and dry hop the right way to compare.

Cheers and good luck.

Next to Brew - Who knows...something with EKG

Primary - April's Amber

Bottled - Bee Cave IPA
Bottled - Apfelwein
Bottled - Dirty Blonde (BM's Blonde w/ 2X hops)
Bottled - Ed's Haus
Bottled - Hop Dread Red V1.0 (Red IPA)

Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #230
happypanties
Recipes 

Likes Given: 33

Good point, thanks for the input Pdeezy.

Quick Reply