Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #111
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

A few Q's:
(1) what temp did you ferment it at? (higher temps = more esters).
(2) were the AA's for your hop substitutions the same as the OP?

+ Yes, the yeast substitution probably accounts for some of the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavdowg View Post
I brewed this about 4 weeks ago and so far the samples haven't been very good. I did use Safale-04 instead of -05 because the buddy I was brewing with already had some. We did a starter so we pitched enough. We haven't kegged it yet because we're hoping that the bubblegummy, clovery, estery flavor and aroma will dissipate. It's fairly subtle but enough present for a distinguishing palate to notice. I know that flavor/aroma is typical in some European beer but I don't like it. I like a clean finish. The other thing is that it's not very bitter or hoppy smelling. We brewed a 10 gal batch and basically doubled the hop bill. We did use Magnum instead of Warrior @ 60 I think because our LHBS didn't have Warrior. We used Centennial for the rest. It fermented for about 14 days, then we dry-hopped it for another 2 weeks. Last night we racked to a tertiary carboy to see if those estery characteristics will go away. We'll give it another couple weeks and then hopefully keg it and add some more dry hops.

Any ideas on what might of happened? Is it just the yeast? Why not very hoppy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #112
jtlawlor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Question:

Due to a shipping issue: I might not have 2oz of Centennial on brew day to add at 15min and 5min... if I only had 1oz (.5 and .5) ... then added an extra ounce of hops for dry hopping.. (ie. 2oz) ... how will this effect the final product??

I could get another ounce (LHBS) - but I already have it on order... just won't get here until Monday or later, and I would like to brew this weekend.

Primary: always something...

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

*Member of PALE (Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts)

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 11-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #113
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Midfielder,

We fermented at around 65*F in
my buddy's basement. It may of been even a couple degrees cooler at times. As for the aa of the hops I can't answer because I just used whatever my LHBS had for each variety. I just talked to by friend last night about it cause we racked it to a tertiary for additional conditioning. It's been in those for 1.5 weeks now and he said only a subtle reduction in the estery aroma and flavor. We've decided to keg it and put some hops in the keg and drink it up. We've written it off at this point as a miss and I'm going to try again here in a couple weeks but use the S-05 yeast this time. I just don't care for S-04 much.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #114
ReeseAllen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Having another bottle of this tonight, now 4 weeks in the bottle. Truly amazing beer. I simply cannot find a flaw in it and it's only improved since my first tasting. Wish I had more left; this one's been in high demand and ran out quickly.

I've decided to use this recipe as a basis for an Imperial IPA that I intend to brew tomorrow. I basically upped the amount of 2-row, added 1 lb of wheat, and doubled the first hop addition. Should come out to nearly 10% and be bitter as hell. Because it should be just about ready to drink on New Years, I'm going to call it the "Good Riddance Imperial IPA" in honor of the end of the decade 2000-2009 which was, in my opinion, the worst decade the US has seen since the end of WWII.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #115
jtlawlor
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brewed this yesterday. Had a hard time hitting my temps in the MLT.. I was closer to 152 for the 90... and ended up added more hot water to get the temp up... I think it was because the grain was in the garage a couple nights and the grain temp was lower than the 60 degree normal.... but just guessing cause I didn't test beforehand. To compensate a bit, I batch sparged a bit longer. I still hit the OG of 1.063.

I made a slight change and added Amarillo hops (.5 oz) each at 15 and 5 mins... but I am going to up the dry hops to 1.5 or 2 oz of Centennial .... the hops aroma was great... but my IBU will be closer to 65ish.

Primary: always something...

Brewed: Scottish Ale 80 - Ode to Arthur Stout - Benrath Alt - Araucania Huaso Wit - Two Hearted Ale - Dark Star Porter - Yoopers Dead Guy Ale - Cassandra the Dark, Russian Imp. Stout - Yooper's Fat Tire - Scott-A-Tron IPA - Orange Kolsch - I69PA - Rye Opener - Lick Me I am an Irish Stout - Fat Thaddeus the Third Triple - Holy ESB of Antioch

*Member of PALE (Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts)

O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Old 12-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #116
Mongo64
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've made about 4 batches of this recipe but substituting Columbus hops for the Warrior. It's a favorite for me and several friends. Someday I might try the Warrior but I would highly recommend Columbus as a substitute.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #117
JonGoku
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed the extract version of this on Christmas, finishing up at about 10PM pitching the Safale-05 but I still do not have any action in the airlock 38 hrs later and am wondering about pitching another package. Can anyone help me decided what to do? RDWHAHB or pitch some more?

I'm using a 7 gal glass carboy for a 5.5 gal batch and using a stopper for the first time instead of the usual hood/cap. Assuming I may possible have a slight leak (although doubtful) when and what should I be seeing to confirm fermentation is actually going on? I have no krausen yet, do not see any thing circulating, and do not see any bubbles. It has been sitting at around 65-68F. This is only my 6th brew so although I'm not in a panic or too worried, I'm just curious if adding a new pack of yeast might help.

TIA!

Jon

Old 12-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #118
Mountainbeers
Recipes 

Would you guys recommend light DME or extra light?

EDIT: I saw that somebody earlier used extra light.

Do you guys think this would work? I haven't don't a partial mash before. But I only have a 5 gal MLT.

1# extra light DME
9.33# Pale
1# Munich
12oz Crystal 60 L

On Deck: Apfelwein
Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Conditioning:
Drinking:

Last edited by Mountainbeers; 12-29-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #119
ReeseAllen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I pulled a bottle of this out of storage and put it in the fridge a couple of nights ago. At four weeks in the bottle it was amazing, at four MONTHS in the bottle it's not drinkable. Has an unpleasant soapy aftertaste that I don't remember being there before. Odd.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #120
loosey
Recipes 

thanks ed, I plan to brew 10 gallons of this in a week... I've got 2 oz of centennial, but I'm sitting on over a pound of cascade (8.7%) and a pound of ahtanum (6%) hops I'd like to use up..

i know its not the same beer if i sub out, but if i were to try i have no idea which to use for which... what would be the best way to line em up?

maybe:
cascade bitter ~50 IBU
ahtanum flavor ~15-20 IBU
cascade aroma 10 IBU
centennial dry

any other thoughts?

Quick Reply